Marlin Disqualified in US Derby

Adler

Several stories about a Derby in North Carolina in which the 619lbs Marlin that would otherwise have won was disqualified for mutilation. Apparently it had been attacked by sharks. My question - why would that be a rule in a Derby???

Several stories about a Derby in North Carolina in which the 619lbs Marlin that would otherwise have won was disqualified for mutilation. Apparently it had been attacked by sharks. My question - why would that be a rule in a Derby???

Was the shark bite considered unsportsmanlike :cool:, or was the concern it was a trained shark assisting in the capture? :rolleyes:

The local annual Tyee Derby has similar rules for DQ :

The mutilation of the Tyee by sharks, seals, or other sources, that in the judgement of the Rules Committee will have affected the fighting qualities of the Tyee.

Th article I read on the story said that they disqualify mutilated fish so as not to encourage people to run the marlin over with the boat to incapacitate it and make it easier to land. Also said shark bites could make the fish easier to land, hence the DQ.

Interesting...feel bad for a group though that fought 6 hours to get a fish that size boated....crazy!

Avoiding the shrapnel loaded CIL Wobbler entrants?

Back