Oysters recipes?

Tips Up

Any good oyster recipes out there?
The ones I have collected recently were a bit larger than I am used to so looking for new ideas.
Thanks

I like them in a Boston style (white) Chowder. The big ones can be cut up and don't forget to throw in the juice.

They can also be seasoned and wrapped in bacon and baked or broiled in the oven.

sometimes we do them in muffin tins, everyone gets their own tray with 6-12 cups, (spray the tins first with a light cooking oil like pam, although this isn't absolutely necessay) steam a bunch of spinach and put some in each tin, put one or 2 oysters on top depending on size, ok now this is where the fun starts, we bring out all the sauces, black bean, thai chilli, piri piri, sambel olek, tandori, korean bbq, and whatever your heart desires and everyone gets to put on what they like, with a bunch of fresh grated parmesan to add on top. I also do a tray or 2 of oysters motoyaki and rockerfeller so everyone gets a couple of those also. bake in the oven at 400 for about 10 min and you are done. I have a bunch of recipes I will post later when I have time. a friend is an oyster farmer so we get nice sacks of fresh oysters, both cocktails for eating raw and the larger ones for cooking. my fav personaly is raw, I will post a couple of great minionette type sauces to add a bit to the raw.

BBQ in the half shell.I hope too as well find a new recipe .butter, garlic is my favorite.spice it up and incinerate in the Q.wear ey protection cooking this way .View attachment 45671
That is how we made them last night. Cooked until they opened and then added sriracha mayo and cooked for about 10 min.
I'll try the same with butter and garlic tonight with what is left.

I believe you can keep them live in a bowl in fridge with wet cloth for 5 or so days?

Keep em coming. I may try breading some next time also.

I remember years ago, @IronNoggin made up a batch in a campsite. They were done in the half shell on a charcoal bbq with some alder chips for smoke. If I recall correct, they had some red wine/garlic concoction on them that was delicious.

Maybe he’ll give you that recipe since I tagged him here. ;-)

Dip oysters in flour, then egg and then in finely crushed up soup cracker crumbs.
Pan fry in lots of butter

Make up hamburger bun <white not whole wheat> If your wife makes you eat whole wheat hamburger or hot dog buns just hit yourself over the head with the frying pan and end your pathetic existence.

Add lettuce, tomato, purple onion, mayo and ketchup.

Put on 2 or 3 of the fried oysters.

There you have a fine Oyster Burger.

You can also use those small soft dinner rolls <white of course> and make them into sliders.

Last edited:
56310192_10156763554066084_7810390906720223232_n.jpg

So this is my own version of a true west coast meal Baked oysters ,crab , and my homemade sausages, What i did for oysters is saute mushrooms and added leeks and shallots put aside . chop up oysters put in the half shell squirt a bit of Spicy Japanese mayo on it. just a bit then top with the mushroom mix . then cover with the spicy mayo . Bake for about 10 mins at 375 . For the mayo its just mayo and sarrichi sauce make it tame or hot as you want ...

Enjoy Good luck Wolf

Dip oysters in flour, then egg and then in finely crushed up soup cracker crumbs.
Pan fry in lots of butter

Make up hamburger bun <white not whole wheat> If your wife makes you eat whole wheat hamburger or hot dog buns just hit yourself over the head with the frying pan and end your pathetic existence.

Add lettuce, tomato, purple onion, mayo and ketchup.

Put on 2 or 3 of the fried oysters.

There you have a fine Oyster Burger.

You can also use those small soft dinner rolls <white of course> and make them into sliders.
This is a very good sandwich, I do the same recipe minus the ketchup and mayo, I use tarter sauce and I am married and haven't tasted white bread in twenty years.

56310192_10156763554066084_7810390906720223232_n.jpg

So this is my own version of a true west coast meal Baked oysters ,crab , and my homemade sausages, What i did for oysters is saute mushrooms and added leeks and shallots put aside . chop up oysters put in the half shell squirt a bit of Spicy Japanese mayo on it. just a bit then top with the mushroom mix . then cover with the spicy mayo . Bake for about 10 mins at 375 . For the mayo its just mayo and sarrichi sauce make it tame or hot as you want ...

Enjoy Good luck Wolf

I like the idea of cutting up the oysters. That make them more appealing to some people.
Cheese looks to be a popular theme as does spinach

Lots of great ideas. I like to look for ingredient trends when I collect ideas. Then combine to create my own dish.

My kids will be happy to hear we need to go collect more oysters. They love the beach combing while we soak some traps.
Our morning last week brought home 3 Dungees, 24 oysters, bunch of prawns and shhhh... a ling cod!

Oysters Rockefeller (Baked) and New Orleans Grilled (over coals) are both easily adapted to the WFO. I love them both. Oysters Rockefeller was created in 1889 at the historical restaurant (Antoine's) in New Orleans by chef Jules Alciatore. It is a guarded family recipe. But, there are some really good hacks of it available on the internet. New Orleans grilled IMO is a hack or street recipe of Oysters Rockefeller that has been adapted to the charcoal grill. It is equally as good. It can be done by pulling some coals from the oven towards the entry and using a Tuscan grill. Dragos and Acme are both great New Orleans grilled. They also have guarded secret recipes. However, you can also find some great hacks of their recipes also on the net. Both are grilled over charcoal. It works on hardwood oven coals or lump charcoal also. I think that the big difference between the baked and grilled recipes is the greens used in the recipe. Rockefeller is thought to be spinach. That is debatable. Spinach is not native to the South. Many grilled recipes call for fresh parsley. I personally use fresh collards, mustard, or turnip greens in mine.

Oysters in the shell are not as readily available as jarred oysters. There are ss oyster shells available on Amazon and eBay. (You will see some of them in the Dragos video) They do them fresh in the shell in the restaurant. The kit offers the ss steel shells) However, they are really proud $$$$ of them.

For the oysters Rockefeller I buy jarred oysters and use some shallow muffin pans. I call it "Oysters Redneckefeller" Not quite as visually appealing, but still very delicious. (It looks a little better with the garnish) However you decide to do them, find a recipe for French Bread. It is customary to eat the oyster and sop up the juices with the bread. It's some good eating" .

I'm sure that there is a way to do a cross between the two styles with live fire in the oven. When I get more time, I will work on that. Let us know what you come up with.

Attachments

• image_79531.jpg
    image_79531.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 34
I remember years ago, @IronNoggin made up a batch in a campsite. They were done in the half shell on a charcoal bbq with some alder chips for smoke. If I recall correct, they had some red wine/garlic concoction on them that was delicious.

Maybe he’ll give you that recipe since I tagged him here. ;-)

Missed this first time around...

Prefer larger oysters for this recipe.
Shuck and allow oysters to drain.
Keep larger half shell, wash and rinse well and let dry.

Mix:
1/2 bottle Teriyaki Glaze
1 Glass red wine
2 - 3 Tablespoons of Herb & Garlic Spice
Hint of Lemon Juice
4 - 5 tablespoons butter.
Nuke to melt and let sit for mingling.

Arrange oyster shells on upper grill of BarBee
Place a good spoonful or two of your mix into each shell, drop oyster in on top, and smother with the balance of the mix.

52CqvLe.jpg

Have a smoke container in position, fire BarBee up to full throttle until smoke develops, then turn down to medium-low.
Smoke until a bit of a crust form around the edges.
Chow Down.

ilsleVp.jpg

Don't forget some bread for dipping those wonderful juices out of the shell!

Enjoy! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Man those all look great. I haven't experimented a lot with oyster recipe's but I do order Oyster Motoyaki when I go to a Japanese restaurant if they have local fresh ones in. I love it and they also make a seafood Motoyaki as well with crab, prawn and oysters. I've yet to harvest fresh ones myself but we have a bay with a lot of them at our cabin and I've thought about it but will have to check the contamination reports for the area.

Are guys harvesting them themselves around the Gulf Islands? I know my father in law used to go out to Cabbage Island a long time ago and come back with some. It's not far from where our cabin is.. but the contamination areas change a lot I think?

Would love to make some of this recipe when I do bring some home:
https://beta.theloop.ca/food/recipes/oyster-motoyaki.html

If you are going to bread and pan fry an oyster I always give it a quick parboil in boiling water. My family loves oysters but don’t like a “runny” center.

I am a Rockefeller fan too but I use a simpler recipe than the original. Lots online and easy to make.

Back