Outboard Positioning

getbent

Just curious what position everyone keeps their outboards in while trailering.
If I am not mistaken the Yamaha manual says to transport in the down position or if you have to in the tilt position, to use a lock device to prevent the motor from falling.

What's the consensus?

Thanks

I keep mine halfway up, I have found if it's to low on gravel or winter roads it can take a beating from rocks. Some of my friends put a blk of wood between motor bracket and bull and low down so the ram is not holding the weight

I always use a transom saver so it's at about the halfway point. I got it cheap second hand and I feel better knowing my motor isn't flopping around.

I always use a transom saver so it's at about the halfway point. I got it cheap second hand and I feel better knowing my motor isn't flopping around.

X 2 on the transom saver. My new Mercury manual says not to trailer using the motor lock. Not really sure what it's there for then??

If you can trailer it safely with it down that's the best position. If you have an etec it comes with a built in transom saver. If it has to be up and you don't have an etec, an aftermarket transom saver is the way to go. Especially if you are going on bumpy roads.

evinrude_etec115-bracket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know on manual tilts such as kickers I would say don't leave it up, and make sue its strapped when traveling..That's what I did and I broke all the teeth in the casing, and teeth that hold up kicker in position.... Just absolutely sucks and they didn't warranty.

What I don't get in the case of the kicker, we run at all sorts of speeds in all sorts of conditions so shouldn't it be built to be kept up. My boat almost every day takes more of a beating on the water then towing it to where I am launching.

On Larger motors (i.e. 175 h.p. plus) I have not found a transom saver that would be robust enough to trust. I use this; http://www.m-ywedge.com/ Works great. Would be pretty easy to copy if one had a lathe to drill out a dowel of EPDM.

I keep mine halfway up, I have found if it's to low on gravel or winter roads it can take a beating from rocks. Some of my friends put a blk of wood between motor bracket and bull and low down so the ram is not holding the weight

Main Motor,
X2 the block of wood for me, motor sits about halfway down.

Kicker,
trailered in the down position and when cruising on the water its up with a block of wood taking the beating instead of the tiltlock bolt. (Older Bigfoot weak point)

My main engine travels up, and is supported by two pieces of pvc pipe over the two trim rods. I raise the engine, to as high as it will go, install the pvc pipes over the trim rods and then lower it back down. Auxillary travels down and in reverse.

I use a block of wood on my Yamaha kicker both trailer and running.
Keeps the motor about halfway down and seems to give it a bit of shock absorbing. Is a 3/4 X 1" piece of fir.
If I use the Yamaha metal latch bolt the motor is up much higher and really shakes when in rough waters. .
But like FA says I think the kicker gets a much bigger pounding going into the waves that it ever gets on the trailer.
If you can do it is probably best to leave it fully down. However I get some rock chips on the lower leg if left down.
Think the trailer spits up a few rocks or sand from the pavement.

Back