Otter proofing fenders

mbowers

I was wondering how my boat lift sustained damaged after months of no issues with fenders in place. I added some more fenders thinking it was my fault. This morning I noticed the damage was probably caused by an otter pulling the very fender I thought wasn't enough on to the dock! Security cam footage of the sabotage attached.

Thoughts on otter proofing fenders? Strap the rope to the dock so fender can't really move?

PXL_20221207_193258113.jpg
Otter pulls fender onto dock

I was wondering how my boat lift sustained damaged after months of no issues with fenders in place. I added some more fenders thinking it was my fault. This morning I noticed the damage was probably caused by an otter pulling the very fender I thought wasn't enough on to the dock! Security cam footage of the sabotage attached.

Thoughts on otter proofing fenders? Strap the rope to the dock so fender can't really move?

View attachment 88192
Otter pulls fender onto dock
Hook a 10 lb downrigger ball to the bottom of the fender

Ammonia with chilli powder spread around the edges of the dock with a cheep princess auto chemical sprayer kept my section of the dock 100% otter free all summer...

Ammonia with chilli powder spread around the edges of the dock with a cheep princess auto chemical sprayer kept my section of the dock 100% otter free all summer...
Yes ammonia seemed to work well to move them out from under a shed so I could chicken wire all around the shed. I don't think ammonia will last long in the winter rains tho.

Back