Otter Point on The Ebb

And I’m going add one more thing,, and no pouting from you because you opened this can of worms mr perfect so deal with it.

I shared many a mornings off Shearingham with you, when it was just you and I or maybe another boat or two. You hogged the inside tack off the rocks both ways for a long time and would push the “right rod to shore” off the inside tack many a times. For the first long while I gave way to you but after I wised up I stood my ground and you reluctantly gave way. So I’ll say this,, I don’t feel sorry for you when you get some of your own medicine.

Well I didn't see a smiley face emoji after Mr Perfect so I won't take that as a compliment. :) Funny I always thought Sheringham was the most leisurely and least stressful place to fish until everyone showed up in later years. I beg to differ on the inside tact both ways at Sheringham when there is oncoming traffic. Staying as long as possible on the ebb backeddy line while going east into it and then sliding out of the way so someone can go down with the current..yes all the time. But I never purposely pushed someone to the outside, I would always give way...even Happy would give way if you stayed on coarse. To be honest I never liked going down the inside with the flow on the ebb much past the reef and if I could see that if I continued down the inside I would be stuck there because of traffic...I would turn hard to the outside and stay up by the reef. More than once I got forced over into that nasty rock/pinnacle off Sharon Stones old house. Any way I was going to keep adding tips when I had the time to help guys understand the flood/ebb currents at a few Sooke spots to help their fishing and avoid confrontations. But I have to keep reminding myself there is nothing in it for me and I do have other interests to spend my free time on. So check out my new thread in the General Forum...it will be more fun and I don't think I have pissed anyone off with that hobby....yet!

I'm no different...why do you think I burned the extra fuel and often put myself and guests through more kidney pounding waves to get up to the lighthouse. It wasn't in hopes of seeing Sharon practicing for her famous movie part.

Why don't you go back to fishing the Light and all would be good then lol... Your not making any friends on here or on the water !!

I do one better I'm looking at Tahsis next summer. Back to fishing Nootka Sound where you can keep fish in July and way less drama.

LOL its like a family Christmas get together...it starts with good intent..until someone says something and for the next 364 days its back to f -u all....all over again.

LOL its like a family Christmas get together...it starts with good intent..until someone says something and for the next 364 days its back to f -u all....all over again.
You know, I really appreciated this post at the outset. As one who is relatively new to fishing Otter, it’s been really informative. I found your discussion and diagram about how the ebb sets up at the point a great way of trying to solve the problem. We all slip up and cut each other off every now and then. Acknowledging the screw up and apologizing rather than getting defensive makes for a better next pass IMO.

The ensuing argument is exactly why I usually lurk rather than post.

Thanks Rollie for trying to keep things civil out there.

CP

Thanks CP I've had quite a few private messages thanking me for the info and for them I will likely post more info when I get the time. I've fished the area since the 60's and from my own boat since 1972 when I was 13. Which means I'm no spring chicken anymore and as my kids had no interest in fishing I haven't passed much of my knowledge on to anyone. From how to land or get out from Gordon's Beach in 10-15 foot surf...which I learned from my Grandfather by watching him...but then had to do a fly by the seat of your pants first attempt on my own when the surf got up while I was fishing. Watched more than a few try it and end up upside down swimming back to shore and fetching all their gear....what the surf gave back to them. One lady ended up under the boat and was dragged back and forth ...ending up with a serious case of road rash. How to get crabs off the bottom with a long pole and a netted hoop on the end...we seldom used traps and would often get our 6 crabs each back then in one pass along the beach. How to get the best results from scooping and freezing your own bait...all things we did every weekend back in the day....anchovies weren't even available back then...just minnows and strip. How to keep salmon fresh over a weekend without ice or a fridge.....again back in the day we didn't have running water or flush toilets in those Gordon's Beach cabins. And as my grandfather had a putters license and would sell excess fish to Pali at the end of the weekend the fish had to stay whole, so a fridge wasn't big enough and we had to improvise.

Thanks CP I've had quite a few private messages thanking me for the info and for them I will likely post more info when I get the time. I've fished the area since the 60's and from my own boat since 1972 when I was 13. Which means I'm no spring chicken anymore and as my kids had no interest in fishing I haven't passed much of my knowledge on to anyone. From how to land or get out from Gordon's Beach in 10-15 foot surf...which I learned from my Grandfather by watching him...but then had to do a fly by the seat of your pants first attempt on my own when the surf got up while I was fishing. Watched more than a few try it and end up upside down swimming back to shore and fetching all their gear....what the surf gave back to them. One lady ended up under the boat and was dragged back and forth ...ending up with a serious case of road rash. How to get crabs off the bottom with a long pole and a netted hoop on the end...we seldom used traps and would often get our 6 crabs each back then in one pass along the beach. How to get the best results from scooping and freezing your own bait...all things we did every weekend back in the day....anchovies weren't even available back then...just minnows and strip. How to keep salmon fresh over a weekend without ice or a fridge.....again back in the day we didn't have running water or flush toilets in those Gordon's Beach cabins. And as my grandfather had a putters license and would sell excess fish to Pali at the end of the weekend the fish had to stay whole, so a fridge wasn't big enough and we had to improvise.
I joined this forum because at the time there was a great wealth of information shared from seasoned pros to novice fisherman like myself. Keep it coming please. A lot of members have disappeared. And as the fishing opportunity’s become more scarce I believe greater skills will have to be achieved in order to maintain success.

You and me both

a friend told me once i started fishing renfrew, it would sooke for me. It has. went and fished otter pt last thursday, and it was all c-u-next-tuesday's, weeds and currents...and no fish for anyone. seriously you guys expect everyone to know the nuances of the nasty sooke currents at any given point to know the tack there? i was right rod in on the inside tack all day and just a bunch of nasty people and weeds there.

Back