Ottawa to slash red tape for fish farms

Don't fool yourself they don't run the country the real owners do... What do you think the campaign money they all get is free? Well I am really not surprised... The only way you can stop a farm is to have to public reject the product..that would have to happen globally... That is horrible news. Ugh!

"The regulatory changes include a planned exemption from a Fisheries Act prohibition against dumping harmful substances in the ocean, though government and industry officials say the change won’t alter current practices or pose environmental threats."

Unfortunately nothing surprises me these days with the harpo cons, who cares about wild fish stocks when we can just produce our own, full of antibiotics and god knows what else. I remember not long ago when it was huge news that disease was spreading from fish farms to wild salmon stocks and all the govnt did was slap a court order on the scientists to not talk about the devastation this was causing. Never heard much about it after that because the fish farms don't have to disclose that info now, unreal.

It doesn't matter who is the PM or in control of federal gov't. The writing is on the wall and has been for years.

The federal and provincial governments want to kill off all wild fish stocks on the pacific coast in favour of the gas and oil industry.

Just wait to see how they mismanage the Fraser sockeye fishery this summer to damage it.

I believe this is a big part of why fishing rights are included with native treaties as currency.

Unfortunately land based fish farms are the future for salmon on the west coast.

sad, very sad. our wild fish stocks deserve better....

Sad indeed. Disgusting really. Shocking? Not so much.

Seems the only thing that could/would actually lead to change would be a CFIA confirmed case of disease directly related to these farms. Genome BC and others are doing testing this year of all fish on the coast, including wild, farmed, hatchery to see what pathogens exist and will be able to trace them back to origin. The key will be for them to actually speak about their findings and have CFIA accept whatever it is they may find. As expected it has been a challenge for this project to get this far with DFO and industry slowing things down.

Our short-sighted feds are leading us down a path that will be very difficult to recover from economically and environmentally. These short term profits for a handful look good on the current budget but we are robbing our future for the present... and people gaining in the present are very few.

I was flabbergasted when I readthis story yesterday. Sad day for environment (dumping) and fragile fish stocks.

But don't worry the chemicals they dump stay in the net pen because there is a tarp so no way the hydrogen peroxide can possibly get past the tarp ... Right?

The article also says we are way behind Norway in fish farm production we all know what a solid reputation Norway has regarding fish farms and wild fish clearly we are not eradicating wild fish fast enough to keep pace with their fish farms. Better change that.

Oh and most importantly they are respecting the Cohen commissions reccomendation not to allow new net pens in the discovery islands (until 2020 anyways) because that's the only place they cause harm - right?

Boy o boy great day for the canadian economy at least a dozen minimum wage jobs will be created out of this. Nevermind the hundreds of business that will be effected if wild stocks suffer.

Are all the threads about salmon farming going to be closed or just the ones that don't suit the mods position?

I don't think it has anything to do with the mods position. You only need a mirror to figure that one out.

Are all the threads about salmon farming going to be closed or just the ones that don't suit the mods position?

Had a quick poke through your closed thread and have to agree it wasn't closed because the moderators didn't agree with your point. Pretty clear to me that the closure resulted from the entirely consistent and entirely predictable ad hominem attacks on you by people who disagree with the points raised in your posts.

When a discussion degenerates to that level, as it so often does with this topic here, there isn't much point in continuing it. It has a lot more in common with arguing with children than it does in an adult exchange of ideas and it only benefits those who get their rocks off by insulting people while hiding behind internet anonymity. I think the bottom line is that there isn't much point in trying to rationally discuss this subject on this forum. Too many people who confuse opinions and emotions with facts and not enough who consider a rational discussion worth having for it's own sake.

Consider this post ignored!!!!
It's really the only way to deal with Birdsnest, he continues his efforts to get a rise out of us which always results in a pointless debate.

I was wrong to make that comment. While I have accused others of having internet Tourette's syndrome in the past it turns out that I too am capable of such out bursts. Not often but this time clearly yes. I take it back on this thread and on the other five farm salmon slamin threads where I made similar comments.

Wow, will be interesting to see how this unfolds...

http://www.watershed-watch.org/2014...fish-aquaculture-management-planning-process/

Open Letter on Flawed DFO Marine Finfish Aquaculture Management Planning Process

This entry was posted in Watershed Watch Activities and tagged AMAC, aquaculture, DFO, Watershed Watch.. Posted by Trish Hall on May 27, 2014

After three years of trying to meaningfully engage in DFO’s flawed aquaculture advisory process, Watershed Watch joined with the Pacific Salmon Foundation, SOS Marine Conservation Foundation, and the David Suzuki Foundation in an Open Letter on Flawed DFO Marine Finfish Aquaculture Management Planning Process. This letter lists our concerns and reasons for boycotting this process. Please feel free to share/post.

What an effing mess...
To be clear our current laws are "world class" even after they were gutted by Harper and now we need a new one that gut them again. Makes you wonder what "world class" means. Perhaps the words "world class" means "without class".
The changes that industry are seeking is a green light to dump anything they wish into the ocean at there feedlots. You and I sure cant do anything like that.
SLICE, cypermethrin, endosulfan, hydrogen peroxide what ever they want.......
No over-site no rules no nothing.....
We are to trust them as they use the ocean as there private sewer.
They have a problem.... fine the tax payer will bail them out.

Here is a suggestion ... get your own private insurance against losses.
Cant do it can you.... need the public to back-stop your industry.
Effing mess.
GLG

Back