Ottawa shouldn’t go overboard on life jackets

Sushihunter

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/06/ottawa-shouldnt-go-overboard-on-life-jackets/

Ottawa shouldn’t go overboard on life jackets
Ottawa cannot be expected to remove all possibility of risk from our lives

by the editors on Monday, June 6, 2011 9:15am - 4 Comments

Getty Images; Darryl Dyck/CP

Coureurs de bois were Canada’s original action heroes. These rebellious bushrangers of New France rejected official efforts to control the entire beaver trade. Ignoring the need for a government fur licence, they took to canoes and sought adventure and profit on their own in the deepest woods. That freedom so many Canadians find in a summer spent camping or canoeing can be traced back to the coureurs de bois and their spirit of independence. Not to mention their lack of a mandatory life-jacket law.

It is once again boating season in Canada. And once again Canadians face the prospect that the federal government may decide to force every boater in the country to wear a life jacket.

Both the National Recreational Boating Advisory Council and the Canadian Safe Boating Council have been discussing mandatory life jackets for recreational boaters for many years. The CSBC is devoting an entire day to the subject at its annual meeting this September. A recommendation to Ottawa favouring a new law now seems inevitable. And the Ontario Provincial Police, Canadian Red Cross and Canadian Lifesaving Society all regularly demand mandatory personal flotation devices for anyone in a power boat or canoe.

Certainly every death by drowning represents a tragedy deeply felt by family and friends. But the question of whether or not a mandatory life-jacket law makes sense requires real evidence, not emotion. In fact, Canadians are making remarkable strides in water safety without any new life-jacket law.

The most recent data on drowning in Canada comes from a Transport Canada/Canadian Red Cross report released last year covering the period from 1991 to 2006. Despite its boosterish tone in favour of a life-jacket law, this report actually presents a convincing argument to the contrary.

In the first five years of study, from 1991 to 1995, 873 Canadians drowned while recreational boating. In the next five years, 718 Canadians drowned under similar circumstances. Between 2001 and 2005, the number of fatalities fell further to 555. Judging from the most recent statistics available, the next five years will continue this strong downward trend. Canada’s lakes, rivers and oceans are becoming noticeably safer from all perils. The annual incidence of all types of fatalities while boating (including drowning, hypothermia and trauma) has nearly halved over the past 16 years: from 0.84 per 100,000 population to 0.45.

To look at these statistics another way, consider if a mandatory life-jacket law had been introduced by Ottawa back in 1991. The inevitable conclusion today would be that the law had saved hundreds of lives. It would be heralded as a signature triumph of government initiative. In the absence of such a law, however, the actual evidence shows that Canadians themselves are already doing a remarkable job saving their own lives.

It makes sense for poor swimmers, children and anyone drinking alcohol to wear a life jacket while in a boat. (And of course drinkers should never drive.) Since existing law already requires sufficient flotation devices for all boat passengers, Canadians currently have the option to take this precaution if they so choose. But that decision should ultimately rest with the individual. Ottawa cannot, and should not, be expected to remove all possibility of risk or uncertainty from our lives. As a matter of fact, more Canadians drown in their tub than from a fall from a boat. Will mandatory bathroom PFDs be next on the agenda?

Turning a sensible recommendation on life-jacket use into an absolutist command would represent yet another bothersome and unnecessary intrusion into everyday life by a government that ought to have better things to do. If Canadians can’t find freedom in a canoe in the woods, then it can’t be found anywhere in Canada.

People have also drowned because they had their life jackets on when their boat overturned. The buoyant jacket prevented them from being able to swim down and get out from under the overturned boat. I would rather have the jackets in a very easy to get to location and pick my time to put it on. On our coast cold water is the enemy and if help isn't quick a life jacket won't save you. A small inflatable raft capable of keeping everyone out of the water being made mandatory makes more sense. If you really want to save lives instead of just making rules that just sound good.

Kelly never pees overboard!!!!!
He provides a nice little bucket with a rope attached. (-;

The whole issue is or should be based on common sense. The problem is that you cannot legislate common sense, either you have it or you don't. If you don't let Darwin take care of you.

i usually just wear a diaper when fishing, so i dont have to worry about peeing or pulling an Osama off the swim grid, therefore it's not likely im going overboard....the govt is probably gonna put up the arguement that if someone goes over without a pfd then there is the added cost of search and rescue and hospital and healthcare costs, if thats the case, then why dont they ban fast food and processed food crap in the stores, pollution, candy and all other crap that is detrimental to our health and welfare, that stuff has a lot more of a financial impact and draw on our healthcare system then not wear a pfd, i personally am a very good swimmer and i'd like to have control over floating or not, ya i know i know if i bang my head rite?, not likely as i wear a helmet 24/7....lol...if yer 18 and over, it should be your choice, afterall there are to many ppl on mother earth to begin with, so if those without any common sense are eliminated without eliminating the ones who DO have common sense, i call that a win win,lmao.....holmes*
good points made holmesy & gang...reminds me of my snorkel trip in the yucatan(mex.) last year... the mex.g-men implemented a law recentley...all snorkel tours must wear a life jacket while snorkeling...try going under water with that bulky thing.. like holmes says " i personally am a very good swimmer"...life jacket wearing should be optional... personally i have one built in ...sammy

Back