Osoyoos Lake

You shouldn't feel lucky...you ARE lucky. I love this province and everything it has to offer. We'll be making our trek out there an annual tradition. Last year I started it with 2 families and this yr 5 families...now all our friends are feeling like they missed out so next yr we'll probably take over the hotel. Next yr i'll probably come the week earlier in hopes the fish are plentiful and a little brighter. can't wait.

That right there is proof of the economic spinoff of healthy stocks supporting sport fish access!! Hope DFO, and more importantly the Conservative government, take notice of these things!! Good on you, your friends and family scobo!

Ukee

Bringing 500,000 fish to the Interior for all to enjoy is THE most successful FN/DFO project I am aware of. Shows what can happen when we work WITH the FN instead of buying into the mentality of the 'one people, one law' lame argument that you often hear.

Couldn't agree more, BGM, a majority of the credit has to go to the Okanagan Nation Alliance and all their efforts, particularly in securing US dollars for the fish-water management tool that convinced the Province they cold manage water levels in the south Okanagan drainage such that fisheries production isn't traded off against irrigation and flood control. Was hesitant to mention it due to the racist opinions you refer to that all too often pop up whenever First Nations and fisheries are discussed on line.

Ukee

Couldn't agree more, BGM, a majority of the credit has to go to the Okanagan Nation Alliance and all their efforts, particularly in securing US dollars for the fish-water management tool that convinced the Province they cold manage water levels in the south Okanagan drainage such that fisheries production isn't traded off against irrigation and flood control. Was hesitant to mention it due to the racist opinions you refer to that all too often pop up whenever First Nations and fisheries are discussed on line.

Ukee

Thank you. I appreciate the acknowledgement and I am waiting for some of the members here who have debated with me in the past about this to rear their ugly heads.

You know them, they talk about one country, one law, no more handouts, they sell illegal fish, they rape the rivers with their nets, all generalizations that come from ignorance.

Was chatting last night with the folks from the two WA power utilities that are the funders of the about-to-open sockeye hatchery in Penticton. They said the push came from the ONA initially, was backed up by the hydro's fish and habitat biologists and then of course initially declined by the elected county officials. Who could blame them? Zero votes for them and serious risk: a multi million dollar project to be owned and run by a bunch of natives, and in a foreign country to boot. The ONA stayed the course despite a slow and painful 7 years of negotiations, proposals, designing and budgeting before funding was finally approved and contracts let 13 months ago. Hopefully this next phase in the restoration project will be as successful for them as the first 15 years has been.

I agree BGM and Ukee your posts are bang on. When I first moved to the Okanagan in '97 the ONA were wanting to rebuild the stocks and expand spawning grounds including a fish ladder for Ok Falls and it's been great to see their perseverance pay off. I would never have imagined that in such a short time we'd see the runs we've seen in recent years to south Okanagan. Can't wait to see what they build the fishery into in the future. Now if we could just get such commitments in other area's of the province and start rebuilding other rivers.

The big difference is the American hydro utilities spend money on fish recovery and BC doesnt. 18 dams on the main stem of the Columbia, 5 of those in BC. US utilities in WA and OR spend $350 million a year on fish, BC Hydro spends $3-4 million. Victoria is milking Hydro like a cow.

Last weekend was the grand opening of the sockeye hatchery in Penticton. The pride and enthusiasm for this salmon restoration project in the Okanagan FN community is off the charts. Broodstock collection starts in a couple of weeks and then it's into production. Modelling for 2015 returns looks strong as well.

Back