Ontario Angler heading to Tofino in September - Help? :)

frawlsmaster

Hi Guys,

First post here, just want to say hi. Names Rob and I currently reside in Ontario. My brother lives in Tofino and I'm visiting him for the first time since he moved there. I am coming September 12-19th.

Would really like to do some fishing while Im there; ok, a lot of fishing lol. I fish for salmon here in ON quite often, along with musky, bass and pickerel but have never fished the ocean or west coast for them.

Are there many opportunities to fish from shore for Salmon or have they all made their runs up stream at this point? The salmon run occurs in mid-late September here in Ontario, and you're able to get them casting spoons from the piers on Lake Ontario at the river mouths. Is there such an area you're able to do so in Tofino area?

Would you recommend booking a charter this late in the season?

Also, I have a 13' float rod with a spinning reel I use in the rivers here, mainly drifting roe and beads. From what I understand you're not allowed to use live bait in BC, can someone verify this for me?

What techniques do you use in the river if not allowed to use live bait? I don't have a fly rod and have only tried fly fishing a handful of times.

Is there a trout run that occurs around the area?

Strictly catch and release on my end, not one for keeping fish. The tug is my drug!

Thanks for any and all help!

Rob

Welcome !
You should be getting some nice Coho by mid September.
definiitely worth a charter using light gear and surface trolled flies.

September is a great time for salmon fishing here in Tofino. There will still be springs around and lots of coho. Halibut fishing is also really strong in Sept as well. I highly recommend a charter as it takes all the guess work out of it. Lots available after labour day weekend. Drop me a PM if you want some names and numbers. I guided here for 13 years and can get you pointed in the right direction.

Back