Old fishing pics from Strait of Georgia anyone?

Anyone able to track down anymore pics from this fishery? If you have some good old ones in hard copy I have a great scanner that can produce electronic versions so that I can use them and you can also have them secured as .jpg's. If you live in the lower mainland we could arrange to meet up and scan them at my office anytime. Just shoot me a PM and let me know.

Here is another one of active pass I found with an old BC ferry. Would love to get a few more like this showing as many rec fishing boats as possible and/or group shots of old fishing derbies, etc. Thanks to all who have shared so far. Keep posted away if you have more as guys like seeing those vintage pics on here. cheers

Attachments

• activepassFerry2.jpg
    activepassFerry2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 963
This seems like a good a place as any to look for old fishing pics from when the fishery in the Strait of Georgia was humming along before the mid 1990's. Anyone have a few pics of the fishery from back then. I've been asked to dig up a few pics for a presentation the PSF is doing on their project to bring this fishery back and I'd imagine there are a few of you on this forum who were part of that fishery. I google search turned up very little for me other than the pic attached here.

Any pics of boats, fish, old-school moustaches, stubby's, etc would be appreciated. Looking to use a few to help highlight just how massive and important this fishery was. They won't use any pics without your consent so if you are OK with them being in a presentation maybe mention that in your post. Otherwise, I can be the liason via PM. Cheers, tincan.

I was probably there, Helen's Pt Active Pass.....practically lived there when it was open

Bones, where is that on Stuart? Spent 6 years guiding up there mid 80's and don't recognize that place....

that was driveway in cloverdale, we never brought a camera, fish taken from around "hole in the wall". i believe we stayed up by surge narrows

Look at those Robison brothers! great shots bones one for the family fishin album.

thxs man, the first picture was the day i learned to tie a hookup. all those fish where taken on nothing less than double headers. we had 4 rods in rotation and wet lines for about 2.5 hrs. the uncle was pissed as he never caught anything as he tied all the hook ups.

k, got one more last one. got the boat, fish and the stubby. sorry no moustache
thormanby island (the gap) 1987

thormanby island 1.jpg

This is a North Shore News newspaper clipping of a fish an associate of mine guided some guests to in Vancouver Harbour off West Van in 1997 - seems like yesterday as I was listening to the VHF radio as this was landed. Don't think there has been a bigger one landed in Vancouver Harbour since then and probably many years prior either. There has been several in the 40's and I know of a 54 off Ambleside a few years ago. Tincan if you want the actual original photo the fellow may have one otherwise North Shore News could be contacted.

IMG_6297 61.jpg

Thought some might enjoy this one of me in 1957 with my 44 pound Cowichan Bay smiley..the fish that is.
What a great fishery it once was...nice to see signs it is coming back a little.
Also, now that I am at it...off topic ..sorry... we went hali fishing a couple of days ago off the waterfront and got one around 40 at constance...180' and quit as between the two of us, we have only one spot open on our license.
when I was young.jpg

I was able to dig up a few from the North Van Museum and Achives.

Attachments

• Fishing the Gulf.jpg
    Fishing the Gulf.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 630
  • BurrardSalmonDerbyWinner1965.jpg
    BurrardSalmonDerbyWinner1965.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 624
  • 1905-CapilanoRiver.jpg
    1905-CapilanoRiver.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 628
Mass got a 62 about 10 years ago ........ 10 over 50 that year off Van Harbour and area.

Actually it was 17 years ago - time flys by man .... I figured it was about 10 years ago too!! ....look at the guy on the far right - surely you recognize Mas as he looks exactly the same now, 17 years later! Its all that sushi !!!!

In that same photo I am refering to from my earlier post (#75) The guy to Mas's right , forgot his name but he used to guide arounf that time outta boat called Beluga as I recall.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back