OK Now its time for Suzuki

sir-vivor

As some my know, I'm on a journey to find the best 200HP fit for my 21ft soft top Seaswirl Striper Walkaround, rated for 200HP.
I got all I need to know on Yami and Merc but now I need to know about Suzuki.
So, if some of ya are running 200HP ++ Suzukis tell me why ..PLEASE !
Thanks
PS I know all about location of the dealership, so let's keep that out of it please

As some my know, I'm on a journey to find the best 200HP fit for my 21ft soft top Seaswirl Striper Walkaround, rated for 200HP.
I got all I need to know on Yami and Merc but now I need to know about Suzuki.
So, if some of ya are running 200HP ++ Suzukis tell me why ..PLEASE !
Thanks
PS I know all about location of the dealership, so let's keep that out of it please
6 year warranty cheaper then Yamaha and Merc awesome fuel economy and I don’t know anyone who has had problems with any of suzuki’s motors
However I also like Yamaha but if I’m buying a new motor for me and don’t have controls already and have a dealer close by suzuki for sure for me

I got them mainly because of nearby dealers but also because of price and reviews . It’s hard to find anyone say a negative thing anywhere online about the 200hp Suzuki’s. I believe they swing larger props as well. I’ve heard the Yamaha 200s were considered “weak” . Not sure if this is because they are weak or if it’s just because the Yamaha 150s are a strong 150s so it narrows the gap between the two.

Been running Zukes since 2006. Good engines, and they stand behind them. Breakers in Port Alberni/Bamfield is awesome service. I'm running twin 250's, but one of my buds runs twin 200's. Been on his boat several times. Great running engines, smooth acceleration. Like every engine you do need to stay on top of maintenance. I do everything I can to do preventive stuff. Annual stuff I do is change all the internal zincs, fuel filters, spark plugs, change out impeller, oil change with synthetic oil every 100 hours and filter...they suggest filter every 200 hours, but I just do it at 100 hr interval.

1000 percent...best advice ever.
This ^^.
I honestly don’t think there is anything wrong or better between the top 3 right now. Yamaha, Sazuki, Merc. All top notch engines with minimal differences. I wouldn’t be scared to run any of them. Just depends on the price you get it for and who you feel will give you the best service.

This ^^.
I honestly don’t think there is anything wrong or better between the top 3 right now. Yamaha, Sazuki, Merc. All top notch engines with minimal differences. I wouldn’t be scared to run any of them. Just depends on the price you get it for and who you feel will give you the best service.
Agreed

Thanks and yes dealer representation is #1 on my list and I fully agree to max with all of you , but not knowing about Suzuki all that much thought I would throw it out there to see what sticks. I was just wondering how many switch to Suzuki from another and what motivated that (lighter, faster, less fuel ect ) and leaving dealer representation behind because thats without saying one of the most important when dealing with the top three. Thanks

If I was shopping today I’d take a hard look at the new Mercs. They are claiming 20% more torque than other 200s on the market. They are a v6 instead of inline 4 and have more displacement. My 200s run good on my heavy boat but if the claim of 20% more torque is true that could make a big difference.

If I was shopping today I’d take a hard look at the new Mercs. They are claiming 20% more torque than other 200s on the market. They are a v6 instead of inline 4 and have more displacement. My 200s run good on my heavy boat but if the claim of 20% more torque is true that could make a big difference.
Thanks Tunder21 and its been done, got all the infor , thats why I want to keep this to a Suki thread if I could for now . Appreciate your response though

I have Suzuki's on my current boat and had Yamaha'a on my previous boat - have not had the Suzuki's long enough yet to speak about long term reliability, but the Yamaha had hardly a hiccup for ~1400 hours - except for a failed thermostat.

I like to do my own maintenance and one thing I did not realize is that at least the the particular Suzuki I have (2016 DF150SS, installed new in 2019) is both harder and more expensive to do a basic maintenance on, compared to the equivalent Yamaha - firstly, it holds nearly twice as much oil, and secondly, the filter sits so low that just removing the cowling is not enough to get at it, which essentially makes an oil change with the boat in the water impossible, if you wanted to (I never change oil without changing the filter too). Just oil and filter for the Suzuki is ~$150 bucks.

Wow that sounds like a lot for a oil change i have a DF140 and my oil filter and oil was $80 from Sherwood and that's with sync oil. Maybe with labour $150 ? T-stat was $60 so ouch there.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Mercury v6 200 are phenomenal. I have one and love it. If Yamaha and Suzuki are 4 cylinders they will not compare

I just took my brand new 200 merc for its first burn today and holy smokes! She goes!

Wow that sounds like a lot for a oil change i have a DF140 and my oil filter and oil was $80 from Sherwood and that's with sync oil. Maybe with labour $150 ? T-stat was $60 so ouch there.

Do you use Suzuki marine oil and filter? The oil alone is 13 bucks a liter. Don't know how much oil is in a DF 140, but the DF150 takes 8 liter, which seems ridiculous for the size of engine. When I add it all up, it is closer to $135 with tax, not $150, sorry.
This and the tedious access to the oil filter just irks me, but having said that, there is nothing else that I don't like and I definitely enjoy the way the engine sounds when running and the ample amount of torque, while still providing reasonable fuel economy.

I’m now running a 2012 DF250 Suzuki on my Seafarer after running Yamaha’s for the previous 20 years. They are awesome engines, no complaints but only with one season on it. Lots of power with the variable valve timing and larger prop, launches the boat out of the water. I also do all of my own maintenance that I can to save labour costs and the engine is easy to work on. I had heard lots of good things about the Suzuki which helped me decide to buy.

Do you use Suzuki marine oil and filter? The oil alone is 13 bucks a liter. Don't know how much oil is in a DF 140, but the DF150 takes 8 liter, which seems ridiculous for the size of engine. When I add it all up, it is closer to $135 with tax, not $150, sorry.
This and the tedious access to the oil filter just irks me, but having said that, there is nothing else that I don't like and I definitely enjoy the way the engine sounds when running and the ample amount of torque, while still providing reasonable fuel economy.
200 hr oil now

cabin partner has zuki twin 2 hundos on 26 robaldo. very nice motors.

Back