Ogden Point

totally tyee

Fishing fans hope to create salmon run for Ogden Point
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, December 07, 2007
Mexico has its monarch butterflies. San Juan Capistrano has its swallows. Now a non-profit fishing group wants Ogden Point to attract pink salmon every year.

Mind you, if things go as planned, a fish would have only one chance to return before being snagged at the end of a fishing line.

The Amalgamated Conservation Society wants to create a recreational fishing hot spot for land-bound anglers off Ogden Point. To do that, members would raise fry salmon in pens off the point in hopes that after they're released into the ocean, they'll return to the area when grown.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Wayne Zaccarelli, the group's secretary-treasurer, said provincial and federal authorities have given tentative support to the penned-salmon project.

Paul Servos, general manager of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, says that organization has given the plan the thumbs up because it won't interfere with shipping.

Servos said the pens would only be in place for a few weeks each year. "We think it is a good community thing," he said.

Under the plan, eggs would be hatched at the Goldstream hatchery and the young salmon fry would be raised in pens off the point for a few months before being released into the ocean. By 2010, the salmon would return to the area large enough that anglers could begin fishing.

Zaccarelli said the six-by-six-metre pens could be in place as early as this spring, as long as a source of salmon eggs acceptable to federal fisheries officials can be identified. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans limits transplanting eggs from one conservation unit to another that might have different genetics.

Transplanting eggs from salmon from the Quinsam River near Campbell River has been rejected, and now the organization is looking at the North Fraser or rivers in Washington state.

Zaccarelli said salmon returning to the area would be visible from the shore and easy to catch. "It would be food for people with handicaps, kids and anglers who don't have boats."

However not everyone is enamoured of the plan, which follows similar recreational fishing projects in Nanaimo's Departure Bay and off Campbell River's fishing pier.

Jody Watson, co-ordinator for the Gorge Waterway Initiative, said that group has written to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the provincial Environment Ministry asking for assurances that the recreational project wouldn't harm native stocks in the Gorge, which include coho and chum salmon and sea-run cutthroat trout.

Watson said the salmon run in the Colquitz River has never been stocked, which is "quite unusual" in an urban environment.

Why should Fisheries even be considering this? Why not spend the money on improving a hatchery system where the dish will actually return to a spawning environment.

I could be wrong but when these fish return to Ogden Point, there is no where for them to spawn, so they will die.

IMHO

TT

If I understand these things correctly, other than DFO providing eggs, they are not putting any money into this project. Cowichan Bay is also going to be getting net pens in '08 for pinks. All the funding raised was provided by other orginizations.
And yes, your right, the pinks will mingle in the bay they were released from. Apparently, very few will try to ascend any nearby river systems. In the case of the Cowichan Bay project, by October when sports anglers have had their crack at the fish, the Cowichan Tribes will come in and net the rest.

Not in the Gorge, in Colquitz Creek which feeds into the Gorge Waterway.

I'm sure there are some oldtimers on the forum that can tell us some stories about this creek.

I was under the impression that salmon will, if their native river is blocked, ascend other rivers/streams in the area. If they're concerned about genetics, this would probably be a bad idea. I'm not sure how long the salmon would mill about before going to plan B though.

well didn't they do this very thing off of nanaimo? Ask RVP how it went, it seemed to be a success?

As long as the funds are not taking away from budgets on more important projects I think its a great plan.

Remember the more people salmon fishing is accessible to, the more people that give a rats butt about the fish, the more people that care the more chance we have at saving them.

More pinks?? Great[B)]
More pens?? Great[B)]
More messing with nature?? Great[B)]

By 2010...just in time for the olympics!! Great[B)]
The tourists should be very impressed to see a bunch of rotting fish along the victoria harbour and water front beaches.

Let the tourist drop their money on a local charter instead.

$$ and efforts could be better spent IMHO.

Tips

Interesting idea. I don't much like thinking of a whole bunch of salmon arriving at the party with nowhere to go. Regardless of who's funding it, seems the energy might be better spent on something that is actually sustainable long-term. But I guess no different than the coho and springs arriving at goldstream only to bang their heads into the dam?

On the other hand, think about all the people without boats, especially kids, that could go cast a line and have a good chance of catching a salmon. Land-based fishing is a cheap and fun -- maybe get kids off the nintendo and outside?

I have a related question. In odd years, the pink fishing goes off on the west coast. I know all the trophy hunters scoff, but take out a fishing rookie out and you can't beat the fishing action. I understand that the even year pink run was wiped out by a massive land slide in the Fraser in the 1920s or 30s. Why hasn't the even year run been re-stocked again?

In these days of terrible returns, where people are questioning the viability of salmon, it seems like a good idea to help support the one species that apparently has no trouble thriving these days. With their massive returns of late, they seem to have less trouble with logging, seals, and all the other reasons people raise for our salmon troubles. Maybe their thriving is because of how few people chase them? I dunno. Just throwing it out there...

...of all ogmented species on our coast the pink programs are the most successful, cost effective and easily developed. Pinks spend the least amount of time in fresh water, the pens are used to hold the fish for a period of time for imprinting - then released into the wild to wonder around. Within two years there should be a bountiful return into the area where they were released and then they will hit the streams, creeks and flows that are in the area.

This kind of program has been very successful in Nanaimo area flows, creeks and ditches...what better way to get food for wild trout and steelhead and other salmon during their youth stages. More dead fish through out the flow, more food for the upcoming species - therefor stronger, healthier fish by giving them a helping hand.

I believe in these programs - they are also great alternatives for shore anglers and a perfect way to get folks introduced and excited about fishing. Most of these programs are funded by citizens and the angling public spearheaded through programs like Pacific Salmon Foundation Dinner and auction fundraisers as well as many, many other local community groups. DFO also helps in creating platform on which has become very successful in othe Island communities.

Why in your right mind would you pooh, pooh the idea??

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Thanks for clearing up some of the points Robert. So its safe to say that if pinks hit the local streams, creeks, and ditches that the effect will be postive and not negative on the already fragile systems?

Esquimalt Anglers has done this with Chinook and I know that the returns have been minimal.

TT

I know they upped the output of hatcheries and did some net pen stuff for Expo '86. Maybe we will see more hatchery funding for 2010, but the problem is that all the tourists will be here in the winter.

As a reprensatative to the ACS I'ld like to make a few comments. The ACS is looking towards making salmon fishing accessable to many user groups and the community. This includes anglers who do not own a boat or have access to a boat. There are a lots of people like that. The idea is that salmon would be accessable to shore anglers, as well as boat snglers, and that the angling profile would be raised in the community. This has been very successful in Campbell River and Nanaimo. Can you imagine the positive response towards sports fishing if people in Victoria could go down and catch salmon off the beach? There are lots of benefits here for all anglers on the Island and I hope the project goes ahead.

Due to the time that the salmon return to spawn, the water temperatures and levels are such that the local stocks would not be affected.

This could be a big win/win project for the lower island.

I have to say, I enjoy beach fishing with a fly rod. If this can make that happen where I can get off work here in Vic, head to the beach for couple of hours in the summer to have my way with some Pink Salmon? I'm more than OK with that as long as it doesn't mess with any wild stocks.

Why not create another recreational fishery,
As Poppa says it might get more folks interested enough
to lend their support to the cause when needed.

Howdy,

This is very cool, all the input from all angles.

It gives me real hope that in the end, before sport-fishing crashes forever, it will be us - those who chase these critters with rod in hand - that will save them from extinction at the hands of inept federal managers.

Please do not mis-interpret this post as just another one of my rants' against the fish-farming industry; I believe it is entirely relative to this topic and I, too, agree that anything useful to raise the profile of and make sport-fishing more accessable to the less fortunate, is a DAMN-GOOD-THING!

Two concerns jump out at me with this fish-in-pen thing.

One</u>: what will they feed them when they are penned?

Pellets? Just like farm-fish? Sorry, if that's the case I would never support such a set-up. It is well known that the earths oceanic bio-mass (krill, plankton etc.) is being harvested/reduced at an alarming rate in order for the big (non-Canadian) conglomerates to manufacture pellets to raise farmed-salmon. I don't remember the exact ratio of pounds' of pellets required to produce a pound of farm-fish, but it's pathetic.

Also, it is well documented that basically NOTHING grows beneath fish-farms. Uneaten food (and concentrated quantities of fish-sh*#) falls to the sea-bed, rots, then creates deadly pockets of hydrogen-sulphide which in turn kills the benthic community.

Do we want this scenario playing out on our water-front directly in the path of incoming Gorge/Colquitz stock?

Second</u>: Though some of you folks are singing the praises of this type of program being successful in other locals, I for one would like to know - is it for certain that these fish WON'T ascend neighboring streams? And if they do, what would be the ramifactions? With respect to this issue, if we are relying solely on data or assurances provided by the Feds' that these fish won't interfere with native stocks... I personally wouldn't buy stock in it. After all, they told us escaped Atlantic salmon wouldn't escape from the net-pens... they did, by the hundreds of thousands; they told us they wouldn't survive after escape... they did; finally, they told us they wouldn't spawn in our streams... they did that too.

Would it be a better idea to enhance the Colquitz Sea-run cutty's? They, too, can be caught from the shoreline, provide a good scrape on the rod and surely are a good table-fish. Just thinkin' out loud.

Back in 89' or so, I sold a truck to a Fisheries Officer and I told him I lived on the bank of the Colquitz. I asked him about the status of the fish living in there. He told me that earlier that year he'd received a call from a concerned lady about some kids who appeared to be 'spearing' fish from the bank's of the Colquitz somewhere up near the Interurban flats. He ended up busting some kid's as they were indeed 'spearing' some of the last-known 8 to 12 wild Colquitz-cohoe.

Chum salmon and cutthroat also spawn in the Colquitz and it's no secret that herring also spawn in Portage Inlet.

While working as a capenter years ago a co-worker brought me in a book to look at; if I remember right, it was entitled - 'Fishing the Lakes and Streams of South Vancouver Island' and was published in the early or mid-60's. It had a piece in there about the Colquitz and talked about how one could cast a line into Portage Inlet at the mouth of the Colquitz and routinely latch into 5 to 10/pound Cutthroat.

Imagine.

Cheers,
Terry

Back