OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the relatives out yesterday to fish west van for coho and springs. tried spoons, bait and white hooch. 7am to 10:30 am. one shaker. small harbor porpoise or two in there feeding on the surface out in 90-100' of water. bait showing on the sounder. very few fishers, some trying and leaving. disappointing! Might as well pull the boat and do bottom paint.

Ya that's pretty much what I'm doing right now. Boat Maintenance. . Started as simply replacing a faulty bilge pump, but I figured I might as well do a few upgrades while I had the back end of the boat pulled apart. They way the reports have been I figured I might as well get at some stuff I've been putting off.

There should at least be good numbers of Coho in the harbour by now. I usually expect the first coho to start showing up by Canada day. Hardly even a report of a Coho caught in the harbour. That seems very strange as there were reports of Coho off Bowen in May. The other side of the strait sounds like they've got lots of Coho, but nothing has showed at the Capilano yet. Not looking too exciting around here at the moment. Hopefully the fish are on their way.

Ran across to Thrasher this morning, shakers and a couple of pin poppers that didn't stick.
Blowing pretty good chovie and green stripe hoochie from coffey to Gretzky. Couple rookies on the boat didn't help with the rough conditions. Finally stuck a beauty bout 18 for the kids first keeper.
Then pop, cable snapped at about 75 feet, started repairs, swung a new tack with the kids dad on the wheel and he goes fish on, grab the rod for the kid and go to bring up rigger and that cable has snapped as well...WTF! Never in my 35 + years on the salt has that happened.
We were in 600' when the second one popped.
2 year old cables...go figure

Turned into the wind and pounded back to the south arm...rough ride back.

There were fish there for sure, tons of bait...

Gotta retool for Bam at the end of the month.

I've trolled the downrigger ball into a giant jelly fish on 2 different occasions. Snapped the cable instantly.

I've trolled the downrigger ball into a giant jelly fish on 2 different occasions. Snapped the cable instantly.
Wow, whodda thunk that eh?! I guess the big ones weigh a ton, or would it be the drag they cause.
You would think the drag on your riggers would let out line before the cable breaks..

Capilano is up so all the coho shoot in. No reason to stage

I guess I didn't really think it had been all that wet lately. Most of the rain has come at night, so I guess it hasn't been that obvious. I guess I wasn't really thinking the water levels on the Cap were all that high. Does anyone know if they've had a good bump of Coho in the upper river on the Cap.

I guess I didn't really think it had been all that wet lately. Most of the rain has come at night, so I guess it hasn't been that obvious. I guess I wasn't really thinking the water levels on the Cap were all that high. Does anyone know if they've had a good bump of Coho in the upper river on the Cap.

Yep. Descent number of fish were caught on Friday and Saturday. I heard by Sunday, they were all up river by the hatchery. Hatchery tanks are already showing a lot of coho.

Once again, we are headed into a topic that does not belong in this thread. There is an existing thread for conservation related issues on the Fraser for you to post in about that subject. Do not muddy the reports threads with conversations that do not belong here!

I wouldn't give up hope on the Chinook. It's not a great year yet, im just hopine the abundant feed is just distracting them. I've been consistently finding them between Cowan, the bell buoy and the North Arm, mostly between 20-60'. Jugghead nano squirts or Small herring aids and Irish cream with shiny backs, faster speeds, and mostly in tight to the shallower contours.
Yesterday's take from the bell:

IMG_20160712_152702_01.jpeg

I was really unhappy to see somebody dragging outside the north arm yesterday! Quite a big ship and looked out of place that close to the river

I wouldn't give up hope on the Chinook. It's not a great year yet, im just hopine the abundant feed is just distracting them. I've been consistently finding them between Cowan, the bell buoy and the North Arm, mostly between 20-60'. Jugghead nano squirts or Small herring aids and Irish cream with shiny backs, faster speeds, and mostly in tight to the shallower contours.
Yesterday's take from the bell:

View attachment 28517

I was really unhappy to see somebody dragging outside the north arm yesterday! Quite a big ship and looked out of place that close to the river

That's what I needed to see. A little incentive to get my boat back together quickly. Thanks for the detailed post aheny.

Here's a report: put a 6 hour shift in from the Bell down to t-10 outside the banana. 2 60cm chinook returned... That's it.... Depressingly slow.

Water was at least perfect today...

I came across the strait Sunday from Active Pass to Crescent Beach. There were numerous Large orange and white buoys on the Canadian side in about 450' of water.
Does anyone know what they are? Did not see any commercial boats around

Fished the freighters, Bell to QA yesterday from 6-11 on Wednesday. We spotted a few bait balls and marked some fish between 30-50' but no love for us. We then decided to fish the west van shore line. We marked a small school of fish that seemed to be cohos and tried spoons, bait and spinners. After a couple of passes, all we got was an undersized hatchery Chinook. There were a few boats out there but I didn't see any nets out or anyone fighting a fish.

283.JPG
285_zpsm5g06ndk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] 275.JPG Got back last night from an epic 2 day fishing trip on Gabriola. Thanks to @Tightlines22 and @RBL for pointing me in the right direction. I found fish from Fingers to past Neck Point. The fish were holding at 85-130 feet in 500 feet of water and they came right to the surface in the evening. The most consistent fishing was right off neck point where I limited out on coho both days. I also boxed a nice spring between fingers and neck at 120 feet. The fish were feeding on anchovies and the Skinny G was stroking them, for every fish on hoochie or other lure I got 6 on the G including the sprang. I also got a gargantuan sized red snapper while fishing for lings. I was exited to catch it but then I realized that it was probably loaded with eggs and 50-60 years old so I put it back down with my homemade seaqualizer. I got a 4lb red snapper the next day which was bleeding badly that I kept. Great trip hope to be back soon!

Last edited:
View attachment 28571
285_zpsm5g06ndk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] View attachment 28568 Got back last night from an epic 2 day fishing trip on Gabriola. Thanks to @Tightlines22 and @RBL for pointing me in the right direction. I found fish from Fingers to past Neck Point. The fish were holding at 85-130 feet in 500 feet of water and they came right to the surface in the evening. The most consistent fishing was right off neck point where I limited out on coho both days. I also boxed a nice spring between fingers and neck at 120 feet. The fish were feeding on anchovies and the Skinny G was stroking them, for every fish on hoochie or other lure I got 6 on the G including the sprang. I also got a gargantuan sized red snapper while fishing for lings. I was exited to catch it but then I realized that it was probably loaded with eggs and 50-60 years old so I put it back down with my homemade seaqualizer. I got a 4lb red snapper the next day which was bleeding badly that I kept. Great trip hope to be back soon!

Good on you for releasing the snapper. That was a very decent thing to do with the shape of the stocks today. I kept a 28 pound red snapper from the Gulf Islands I caught when I was a kid in the early seventies. It would have been a world record back then, if it had been certified. It was the nastiest eating fish I've ever eaten. Talk about chewy. I was too young to know any better. Now a days I would never even consider keeping a big snapper. Nice of you to carefully recompress it and send it safely back to bottom.

Nice job on finding the Salmon. Too bad we still have to run across the strait to find them. Hopefully they will be showing up in good numbers here soon.

NICELY DONE

Zipped across to thrasher this morning...pancake flat managed 6 coho to the boat but only 2 hatchery keepers...all fish were on Pesca spoons @110ft deep

Was at theasher 6 - 12, ended up with 3 coho to the boat, two hatch and one sealed right next to the boat as I was checking for an adipose, we also got into two small 9 lb Chinook , and lost a pin popper that screamed line as we trolled through a baitball in 220'. Fished glow hoochies and skinny g's, all fish on the skinny g exept for the screamer . Coho 135' - 150', all out in the 400 foot contour, springs at 185', 200 - 300 foot contour. Got our lings too. Nice day to be out

Zipped across to thrasher this morning…pancake flat managed 6 coho to the boat but only 2 hatchery keepers...all fish were on Pesca spoons @110ft deep

fishizzle, Approx how long did it take to run over to thrasher and where did you launch/ start at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back