OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Thrasher 11-5 yesterday.
Never fished there before, but from the local reports it sounded more promising than locally as I don't know where to fish Bowen other than the hump and I believe the hump is done for the year.
Was primarily fishing the north side in 200 - 400 feet of water.
Was fishing 90-120 feet.
Put down a purple flasher (uv crush and moon jelly) with a purple splater back hootchie on one side and a Bon Chovie green flasher with a pesca uv/green spoon on the other; purple was the key all day...switched to blue on the green side after a couple hours.
One 8 lb Chinook, close to a dozen undersized and 2 coho's, could have held onto one hatch but let him go as he was pretty small (3lbs or so).
Beautiful day for the crossing.
I always hear everyone saying to put their gear deep...how deep and in what depth of water?
Will be heading up Jervis inlet next weekend; been trying to find out if there's a sockeye run up there or if there's any good fishing at all, no luck. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Deep as in deep...on structure. All the good ones are 175-240 on the rigger right now and that is from speaking directly with 2 guide buddies first hand. One guide I have been speaking with has been over 5 times in 8 days.

Thrasher, Grande, Whalebone, Entrance. If you find bait, make a few passes through it.

This side sucks. I have put in 17 hours of trolling in local waters this past week and did not hook a legal fish. Of the guys I do know who did land Chinook it was their description that it was lucky.... This side has been nothing but a boat ride for a fluke 3 pound hatchery Coho...(when you get one to bite) and a bunch of small jack Chinook.

Thanks Pippen and fishin_magician...
Pippen thanks for the reminder, I do seem to recall reading that a week ago when I was looking for details...will check the regs; thought what I read was for fin fish and not salmon, but will definitely do a review...cheers

We tubbed 19.5 and 24lb springs yesterday at thrasher. Both at 80ft on the rigger so work all depths until you find them. Both fish fell victim to a green splatterback hoochie on a 43" leader which is strange for me because I never fish hoochies.

Last edited:
Thanks big guy. Yea I'll definitely be giving them more time on the rods for sure. Also done very well this year with the herring aid spoon and outfitter skinny g.

Fished Thrasher 11-5 yesterday.
Never fished there before, but from the local reports it sounded more promising than locally as I don't know where to fish Bowen other than the hump and I believe the hump is done for the year.
Was primarily fishing the north side in 200 - 400 feet of water.
Was fishing 90-120 feet.
Put down a purple flasher (uv crush and moon jelly) with a purple splater back hootchie on one side and a Bon Chovie green flasher with a pesca uv/green spoon on the other; purple was the key all day...switched to blue on the green side after a couple hours.
One 8 lb Chinook, close to a dozen undersized and 2 coho's, could have held onto one hatch but let him go as he was pretty small (3lbs or so).
Beautiful day for the crossing.
I always hear everyone saying to put their gear deep...how deep and in what depth of water?
Will be heading up Jervis inlet next weekend; been trying to find out if there's a sockeye run up there or if there's any good fishing at all, no luck. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Was that you in the 21 trophy Yamaha?

Good Ole green splatter back hoochie is my #1 go - to. A short hoochie leader always helps when netting a fish solo too!

Thrasher today, green and white hootchie. TOM MACK. Tom killed the little buggers. But little they where. 120' of water 75-100 on the rigger

Broke a rod, Lost a crab trap and spun something in the motor. Fishing is awesome... Lol

Bones, no I have the same but an old two stoke merc...runs like a top though. Did see the other guys your speaking off.
SteelyDan, I'm the same, rarely run a hootchie, but think I'll give them more of a chance this year. Have lots of green splatters as well....been running the flash flies (mainly the ghosts purplish/blue) last year and this year; they're my go to and seem to do the trick, my head has it that they kind of have the hootchie and spoon look to them, covering both avenues in one...

Gabriola today. Lots of undersized at thrasher 1 coho around entrance island. Caught a fish with about 6 different lures. Army truck, homeland security, blue/green hoochie, chovies, tried all depths 70-200. Not a day to brag about but the straight was glass all day.

Ran back to Thrasher again yesterday...1 hatchery coho 3 wild...2 undersize Chinook...1 ling and a bunch of shakers. White hoochie and Pesca spoons

Anyone fishing around the S Arm ?
Maybe thats where they are hiding out !
Gonna give it a try tomorrow !

your 100% it is closed on the inside of 26-6

But, I ment the deeper waters , on the ocean side of 29-6 then towards the QA and Hump ......

29-3 is much closer to the river than most people realize. Most (99%) of the banana is less than 40' deep (until you get south of the sandheads lightstation).
Almost everywhere we fish outside of Howe Sound and the Vancouver harbor is 29-3 and is always open, including being currently open to Coho.

I've been out there constantly and I'm finding the only concentrations you find are tight into Bowen Island a few miles north of where people fish at Cowan and Tunstall. Venture a bit further than where you see the crowd and you should get hits after the tide change, with your gear between 70-20'. I've had a couple of hundred salmon to the boat this July, mostly on squirts and smaller blue/green spoons, just keep the speed up and keep hunting for the anchovies. Don't be scared to troll fast and shallow, and leave the anchovies at home unless you enjoy catching dogfish

Last edited:
I don't post reports anymore on public forums for various reasons but I will offer my 2 cents here. Take info you get on forums with a grain of salt (...hopefully that's obvious). Being out there exploring is the best info. This year is creatively different - a fun challenge. Nothing is absolute, 'Rules' should be broken or I'd suggest you are not trying hard enough. ...I know, as at times I have had to pull myself outside that box....many times actually - not just with fishing.

Photo is Sunday locally ...shallow 20-45' and chovy was our best - we didn't have issues dogfish either ( maybe one two as I recall) So, no you don't have to go to Gabriola ( but I love it over there and it has been very good July).
Fought other fish that we lost (both coho and springs). One quite big wild coho we released as well. Saturday locally was just about as good for us too but short trip with poorer conversion.

IMG_9129.JPG

It's been a different year for sure. I think it's been a bit slower than normal, but there are definitely fish around. What I do see is lots of people having poor luck doing what normally works where it normally works and others having good luck trying some different and unusual techniques and locations.

Biggest lesson for me this year, no fish on the sounder...fish somewhere else.

Agree - fish away from the pack and you may be surprised. West side of Gambier has thrown out a few as well lately.

Peahead - those are some nice local slabs.

I don't post reports anymore on public forums for various reasons but I will offer my 2 cents here. Take info you get on forums with a grain of salt (...hopefully that's obvious). Being out there exploring is the best info. This year is creatively different - a fun challenge. Nothing is absolute, 'Rules' should be broken or I'd suggest you are not trying hard enough. ...I know, as at times I have had to pull myself outside that box....many times actually - not just with fishing.

Photo is Sunday locally ...shallow 20-45' and chovy was our best - we didn't have issues dogfish either ( maybe one two as I recall) So, no you don't have to go to Gabriola ( but I love it over there and it has been very good July).
Fought other fish that we lost (both coho and springs). One quite big wild coho we released as well. Saturday locally was just about as good for us too but short trip with poorer conversion.

View attachment 28688

Hi Peahead. Nice catch. Thanks for the report. Haven't heard much from you, and it is nice to see a report from you. I've been working on my boat for the last few weeks, and hope to have it finished in a day or two. Once it's done I hope to be contributing some successful fishing reports myself. Hopefully they will be as good as the catch you reported. :)

All the best, hope to hear from you again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back