OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are the mile markers?

They are the lighted markers on the edge of the sand bank from Spanish Banks to the Bell Buoy.

Guess I should have done a refresh. I see now Pip answered that already.

Anyone have any luck today?

Stunning morning out in Vancouver Harbour. Just finished losing a good fish that hit just off bottom on a Skinny G on the QB side of the freighters ... either a good sign or I just blew my chance at dinner.

One of the boats out in the harbour has released 3 undersized. 1 was 23.5", 2 others around 21". 2 nice fish taken yesterday from Howe Sound... a 25.5" and a 26.5"... not Abbas start to feeder Chinook fishing!!!

Went out for a few hours as well today. Awesome day, had my shirt off at one point it was so warm. Unfortunately not too productive. I tested out some new cut plug lures, one a King Kandy and a modified brads. No takers on that stuff. Dropped an army truck hoochie to bottom and had a hit and miss, and that was about it for the day. Fished the mile markers and bell Bouy, not much bait there. Thought I'd go there rather than other spots in case I found some chum off the north arm. Didn't see any jumping but I think a passed a few schools of chum that were shallow around 30 feet. Didn't feel like pulling the lines up from 120 for some brief passing marks. Nicest day you possibly Imagine at this time of year. Guess I should have tried elsewhere though.

Ran the crab and prawn traps up and around Indian arm. Set them then went for lunch at rocky point came back to limits of crabs and about 50 prawns. Great day.
Cheers to the lads that answered my prawning questions.

Have never dropped prawn traps in the past because of my old "small" inflatable. Really stoked that the new boat is worthy enough for our local waters. Any recommendations for specific locations and/or depths? Don't have traps or a puller yet and wonder what others think is a good setup without breaking the bank.

BTW - forum members here are responsible for my boat upgrade, I couldn't stand hearing the reports for places I couldn't get to, so I bought a bigger boat, THANKS (I think) for the motivation ;).

Have never dropped prawn traps in the past because of my old "small" inflatable. Really stoked that the new boat is worthy enough for our local waters. Any recommendations for specific locations and/or depths? Don't have traps or a puller yet and wonder what others think is a good setup without breaking the bank.

BTW - forum members here are responsible for my boat upgrade, I couldn't stand hearing the reports for places I couldn't get to, so I bought a bigger boat, THANKS (I think) for the motivation ;).
hahaha I doubt anybody will give up a prawn spot :p I generally don't prawn over 300'

I looked for spots that were about 250-300ft depth that were around islands/points with a bit of a shelf.

One set I put down had one prawn, the other set had the rest.

As far as breaking the bank, I'll prob never get my money back through buying the hauler and traps, but I just finished eating them and I don't particularly care

It's kind of hard to miss the large scotchman required to keep multiple traps afloat in deep water. Simply pay attention to their locations while your out cruising and I'm sure you'll spot plenty of likely spots to drop. I'm not into prawn in or I'd certainly shoot you a PM to help you out Darius. Good luck out there.

I looked for spots that were about 250-300ft depth that were around islands/points with a bit of a shelf.

One set I put down had one prawn, the other set had the rest.

As far as breaking the bank, I'll prob never get my money back through buying the hauler and traps, but I just finished eating them and I don't particularly care

Payback is VERY quick on Prawn gear. $1 per Spot Prawn is fairly standard direct off the commercial boat when in season.

Went out a few years ago with a bunch of guys I know with commercial traps I bought and after 3 trips we had 2000 pieces. Paid for quickly and easily. Sold the traps after 2 years and got most of my original expense back.
Puller too!

Payback is VERY quick on Prawn gear. $1 per Spot Prawn is fairly standard direct off the commercial boat when in season.

Went out a few years ago with a bunch of guys I know with commercial traps I bought and after 3 trips we had 2000 pieces. Paid for quickly and easily. Sold the traps after 2 years and got most of my original expense back.
Puller too!

I didn't realize they fetched that much. Sheesh.

What area were in you to get those numbers? Is Howe sound any better than Indian arm?

I didn't realize they fetched that much. Sheesh.

What area were in you to get those numbers? Is Howe sound any better than Indian arm?

Area 28 and 29 are home base for me. Try to stay away from areas which are prawned heavily and commercially. One great area I used to go would yield 50-80 a trap easily. The next time I went there were 8 buoys there. It wasn't a secret spot...bye bye decent spot.

I'm not going to say where I Prawn but try to find your own spots...when I Prawn I go West...North is also an option. :)

I just have to say that I love this forum! I don't really care if I get the "perfect" spots, I feel lucky to have any help. Imagine what it was like before the forums . . .

Everyone that does well with pawn traps does so in Howe sound. The farther north you go the less pressure on spots. I would not bother anywhere in Indian Arm to much pressure from everyone pretty much that same with Crabs in the Arm. Then Gibson up the sunshine coast is good too.

Awesome info and all I need to get going on traps! Thanks!

Get the Navionics app for your phone and play around with it, start searching for your own spots like people have said. Ledges, drop offs, sunken islands, gentle rocky banks200-320ft....try them all and see what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back