OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the spots on the full tail, but you can see the mouth as well.
I've seen the odd Ho with a full spotted tail, but haven't seen a nook with white gums.
Keep em coming TL!

Ok I might as well weigh in as I posted the pic. It is hurtful to be criticized however no damage done. In fact we had to look numerous times before keeping the fish. It clearly had white gums especially its lower mouth.

It did have a few spots on lower tail however when you've seen thousands of Cohos over the years you do see some variations. This was a clipped fish however we know there are clipped Springs around as well so we are always extra careful. I have fished actively for over 40 going on 50 years and my father and grandfather were commercial fishers. I also worked on the Skeena in the last active cannery for a number of years in my youth. That's where I learned to ID fish.

This year alone I have landed well over a 100 Cohos off Miss Daisy so we've seen our share.

Being respectful in any debate would help keep matters civil. I don't mind sharing Intel and have posted many hundreds of times in order to help others. And I appreciate others doing the same.

Richard
TL22
Clearly a Coho, nice fish.

I saw the spots on the full tail, but you can see the mouth as well.
I've seen the odd Ho with a full spotted tail, but haven't seen a nook with white gums.
Keep em coming TL!
we had 2 like that on the same day this year at sandheads both 10-12lbs 1 wild and 1 hatch very deceiving I assumed they were springs right away till my bud pointed out the white gums

Can't take a joke--Shouldn't have Joined!!LOL Just sayin-and besides the owners called it and I'm good with that-looks like a Ho to me. Cut guys some slack-we aren't there and if we want the forum to be free and open -treat guys like you expect to be treated or we'll lose the free and easy forum we have. Just a general comment and not posted at anyone in particular.
I hope you got my sarcasm when I said "don't post pics on public forums". With this level of public roasting people will simply stop sharing their pics and info on the Net. If you read the posts, I was one the first few guys who called it a Ho (Sunday night). I've always enjoyed and appreciated members who post their pics and share their knowledge and information on forums like this. BTW, this thread is meant to cover fishing reports. Hopefully we will go back to the reports topic after this.
Tightlines: Thanks for shedding some light. Please keep the reports coming.

I can't believe you guys are still debating coho/chinook. Its a coho and I'd even say a female.

This quote below is from the forum rules.

"Do not pounce on people’s fish photos. This is a site designed to share in the experience of fishing and people enjoy seeing others success."

Hopefully this discussion has about run it's course, congrats on the nice catch TL22.

Anyone has fished the tidal Fraser recently? I was thinking of going out on the weekend if the weather cooperates.

we had 2 like that on the same day this year at sandheads both 10-12lbs 1 wild and 1 hatch very deceiving I assumed they were springs right away till my bud pointed out the white gums

Same here got a nice 15 wild at the Sandheads and I thought it was a spring by the dots on the tail then we looked at his mouth and his beek he was a sneaky one!!! lol

well the file photo is labed Atlantic Salmon! Not sure how much it looks like one though as I've never seen a ocean bright Atlantic .

Hmm. Now that you said Hatchery Chinook. I see the clipped adipose fin. I guess they wouldn't be clipping the adipose fin of farmed salmon would they? Well I'm glad I released it. I had never seen a spring with such X shaped dots though.
Atlantics also has a big black dot of their cheek

There is a lot of Hatchery Chinook in the Chiliwack River. They clip the adipose fin when they tag the nose. So if you catch one of legal size turn in the head or the tag.

Chinook 100%. Atlantics have spots on gill plate
OK Thanks everyone. Trying to ID a smaller fish that doesn't clearly show what species it is, and release it in good shape, is not always easy. As this forum shows, even the really experienced guys don't always get it right at first.

Last edited:
View attachment 30017 At Sandheads right now. Warm and flat calm. Twenty ish boats out and seen a few nets. We just landed this nice hatchery Coho.
lol ,thats a ho,i got one in renny this year,wild inside the bay15 lbs ,spots on the tail up and down,did not mater as both chinooks and wild hos were alowed,pulled it in the boat white gums coho??? spots on tail chinook??? looked at it over and over(i too have lots experience with fish ID) decide to call it a coho so no writing on my licence.show up at the marina dfo on the docks going true everybodys boat,dfo looked at all my fish and could not make up his mind if it was indeed a ho or chinook,after a while we both agreed to call it a coho white gums was a tale tale given but the spoted tail bafle him as much as me,and said mutation between ho and chinook,also said that i would of called it chinook and he would of agreed that it could of been called a chinook also lol

A few Winter Chinooks have already been caught in waters "local" to Vancouver. Don't put the boat away just yet they say...

get ready for mega amount of chums...
seine , gillnet and troll having historic catches in johnson straights.
opening around Naniamo i believe tomorrow... and test sets up in straights are still high.
They are smaller fish this year and dfo still has no idea why such a huge return and even where they are all going to.
they are coming in both ends as Nit Nat is gang busters too.
Seine boats coming in deck loaded.
break out the red and or purple hootchies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back