OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the gums and mouth/teeth profile look very much like a coho, I would id this as a coho. Spots on the tail... I have seen it before but cannot explain.

Gotta say when I saw it, I said Spring because of the spots on the tail, and, some on the back. That being said, I've heard from a few sources now that there are the odd ho that have white gums and then have other obvious Spring characteristics. Not sure if its a genetic strain mutation or what.

well the missing adipose fin, whould do it for me

That's no indication. Lots of US origin hatchery chinook are clipped. Mouth and body say coho, tail says chinook...definitely hard to say from the photo so I would certainly give the benefit of the doubt to the poster that it is indeed a hoho.

That's no indication. Lots of US origin hatchery chinook are clipped. Mouth and body say coho, tail says chinook...definitely hard to say from the photo so I would certainly give the benefit of the doubt to the poster that it is indeed a hoho.
tail is not covered with spots and definitely not like a V-shaped Chinook tail with full spots that can even be seen on juvenile Chinooks. Can't see spots across all the tail (only on the edge and top part) but that could be b/c of the lights and the camera angle. Entire jaw is white and all of these together plus the missing adipose fin points to a hatchery coho! Moral lesson: Don't post your fish pics on public Internet forums!

tail is not covered with spots and definitely not like a V-shaped Chinook tail with full spots that can even be seen on juvenile Chinooks. Can't see spots across all the tail (only on the edge and top part) but that could be b/c of the lights and the camera angle. Entire jaw is white and all of these together plus the missing adipose fin points to a hatchery coho! Moral lesson: Don't post your fish pics on public Internet forums!

Can't take a joke--Shouldn't have Joined!!LOL Just sayin-and besides the owners called it and I'm good with that-looks like a Ho to me. Cut guys some slack-we aren't there and if we want the forum to be free and open -treat guys like you expect to be treated or we'll lose the free and easy forum we have. Just a general comment and not posted at anyone in particular.

Last edited:
Can't take a joke--Shouldn't have Joined!!LOL Just sayin-and besides the owners called it and I'm good with that-looks like a Ho to me. Cut guys some slack-we aren't there and if we want the forum to be free and open -treat guys like you expect to be treated or we'll lose the free and easy forum we have. Just a general comment and not posted at anyone in particular.

I totally agree. I think these public roasting s are getting way to common. Please treat others with a little more respect, if you want guys to continue posting pics and info.

Ok I might as well weigh in as I posted the pic. It is hurtful to be criticized however no damage done. In fact we had to look numerous times before keeping the fish. It clearly had white gums especially its lower mouth.

It did have a few spots on lower tail however when you've seen thousands of Cohos over the years you do see some variations. This was a clipped fish however we know there are clipped Springs around as well so we are always extra careful. I have fished actively for over 40 going on 50 years and my father and grandfather were commercial fishers. I also worked on the Skeena in the last active cannery for a number of years in my youth. That's where I learned to ID fish.

This year alone I have landed well over a 100 Cohos off Miss Daisy so we've seen our share.

Being respectful in any debate would help keep matters civil. I don't mind sharing Intel and have posted many hundreds of times in order to help others. And I appreciate others doing the same.

Richard
TL22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back