OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, I'm really impressed with local Coho population this year. My wife and I went out for the afternoon off Bowen and landed another 9 (6 Chinook, 3 coho), with 1 nice 10lb spring and a 6lb hatchery coho. Only 1 p-cod today

Nice! You made good work of that! I only managed one Ling and two rock cod on Saturday there after getting just one undersize shaker. Mind you we had a super late start compared to you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Had none stop action of coho and just unders off Cowan pt from 11:30 to 2 on Sunday 50-80'. Had a good soak deeper but all the fish were up top. Didn't really see and big fish taken.

Are you lower mainland folks still seeing anchovies around? in stomachs? It is pretty interesting that anchovies are apparently showing up in big numbers. Are there any of the older and wiser forum members who can recall seeing anchovies in big numbers in Howe Sound and lower mainland in years past, and if so how long ago?

Are you lower mainland folks still seeing anchovies around? in stomachs? It is pretty interesting that anchovies are apparently showing up in big numbers. Are there any of the older and wiser forum members who can recall seeing anchovies in big numbers in Howe Sound and lower mainland in years past, and if so how long ago?

Around bowen I'm seeing large schools of bait on the sounder, and anchovies in the stomachs of the ones I keep.

That mass on the sounder at the surface went on for 400m, tons of coho and unders below it

Attachments

• IMG_20160613_000607.jpg
    IMG_20160613_000607.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 93
Back from a day at sea Bobba Looeys! Day started out purdy, then it got all grey, and at low tide was nice again.

Anchovies got three undersized smileys from the Bell. The water is murking up! Saw a few get KABONGED! But not on our tub. Hope to get back out there soon!

OLAY!
A smiley is a Tyee .

Fished off Bowen on the weekend. Cowin point area. No keepers lots of shakers. Few coho. All on spoons. Kitchen sink, Irish cremes and army truck all had bites. 40-90ft.

I remember a year either in the late 80's or early 90's when anchovies came into the horsehoebay area, pretty sure it was winter time, they were there for a while and you could almost walk on the water they were so thick, something i'll never forget. someone said it happened every 20 years or so but that was the only time i saw it. it would be worth jigging a bunch for bait if they are a decent size.

a smiley is actually a 12 pound dressed out chinook salmon, not necessarily just a tyee. it's a term from the commercial guys as they would get a higher price per pound on their chinook that weighed over 12lbs. fully dressed. so all tyees are smileys but most smileys are not tyees

I see waterspout watch in effect warning on the marine weather for lower gs, going to try and get out to bowen tomorrow if the weather cooperates

Last edited:
Fished Thrasher yesterday, lots of shakers, no keepers. Lots of bait showing on the sounder.
We used anchovies, the usual selection of hoochies and spoons were put down and tried at various depths.
The Homeland Security spoon had most of the action down around 100'.

We were at Cowan and Tunstall for ~5 hours today. Is it me or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of shakers around these days? We only had one shaker, but a friend had nearly 10, and several of the surrounding captains seem to be having the same luck (although we did see one 7-8# Coho taken). Time of year maybe?

We were at Cowan and Tunstall for ~5 hours today. Is it me or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of shakers around these days? We only had one shaker, but a friend had nearly 10, and several of the surrounding captains seem to be having the same luck (although we did see one 7-8# Coho taken). Time of year maybe?

It sounds from reports that there are more shakers around the Strait than in the last couple of years. But as TBG says, maybe not more than in the old days. What size are you seeing..... if they are fish in the 10 to 16 inch class they are 2015 ocean entry fish, next winters winter spring fishery and adults in 2017 or 18. The growth of juvenile salmon was apparently very good in the Strait last summer, maybe more little guys survived, or maybe more stuck around. Treat them like the precious resource they are, small hooks and gentle hands!

Sizes seem to be in that 10-16 inch range, so good to know there might be an abundance to spoil us with in 2017/18! We were wondering what the life-cycle was and when these were going to be monsters. I'm always extremely gentle with the little ones.

was also out around tunstall / cowan last night from 530-730 . pretty consistent bite going the whole time. got about 6 shakers, lost one borderline keeper before could get a good look, and ended up keeping one real scrappy 12-14 lber. got the keeper on skinny g - outfitter spoon. the rest were on herring aid, and other green / white spoons.

Finished off with a nice haul of crabs of pt grey - there are still numbers around, but no more 7+ inchers now...

Going out again sunday, maybe to thrasher... try for some of the lingcod i have been seeing on here :)

was also out around tunstall / cowan last night from 530-730 . pretty consistent bite going the whole time. got about 6 shakers, lost one borderline keeper before could get a good look, and ended up keeping one real scrappy 12-14 lber. got the keeper on skinny g - outfitter spoon. the rest were on herring aid, and other green / white spoons.

Finished off with a nice haul of crabs of pt grey - there are still numbers around, but no more 7+ inchers now...

Going out again sunday, maybe to thrasher... try for some of the lingcod i have been seeing on here :)

Did you get on the bullhorn about your action in Tunstall yesterday or something. :)
Seemed like every guide boat from Vancouver and Horseshoe Bay was trolling Tunstall today. Not much action from what I saw. I only saw one boat with a small fish on while I was there.

I started at Cowan at about 6am. Two bait lines on the riggers. 2 lines on weights hoping to find some Coho up top. I got one on the top line shortly after I put it out. Unfortunately, I lost it. It hit on a 4inch Apex and 6 once weight, 40 pulls. Trolled up from Cowan to Roger Curtis, one hit on the bait on the way up. Tore the bait off but never stayed hooked up. When I got to Roger Curtis I put the Apex that got the fish early in the morning stacked on the top line of the rigger. Caught a scrappy spring that was about keeper length on the same Apex again. I wasn't going to drag it in the boat for a measurement, so I released it. Figured there would be more to come, but it was not to be. Packed it in about 11:30. Ran back to town to pick up the crabs that are still easy catching at least.

Got back to Vanier Ramp and found 3 city work trucks parked on the new ramp. Only thing was there sure wasn't any actual work going on. I stop by the ramp pretty regularly to see if the new ramp has finally officially opened. I would have tested out the new ramp but all the city trucks were parked on it admiring there handiwork. Still not officially opened for a few weeks yet (supposedly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back