OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Bowen Saturday morning: Undersized fish only. A few crabs on the way home.

3 shakers to the boat today off Bowen, did not see one net out, slow...........

Mike

fished 6am-9am at Salmon Rocks - picked up a nice 9 lber at 40' on a purple and white hoochie. Didn't see any other fish caught except for one undersize - about 8 boats there when we left.

Does anyone know what all the goo is that's in the water around HITW/Sunset Marina area. The stuff is diabolical. It's really fibrous and clings to all line surfaces and is really a hassle to remove. Hard to imagine fish doing well amongst this stuff. Its been there for some time now and I was hoping that the tides would have washed it out but clearly not. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know what all the goo is that's in the water around HITW/Sunset Marina area. The stuff is diabolical. It's really fibrous and clings to all line surfaces and is really a hassle to remove. Hard to imagine fish doing well amongst this stuff. Its been there for some time now and I was hoping that the tides would have washed it out but clearly not. Any thoughts?
Plankton

A form of algae I think. It was beyond nasty off the Fraser mouth a few weeks back. Lots of jellyfish to foul the lines as well this year. Went out for a bit in the harbour yesterday afternoon. Too rough to really get in a good fish. Not much algae on the lines there, but lots of jellyfish to foul the gear. If it's not one thing, it's another it seems.

We're out Saturday at Bowen didn't see any nets out . Big old skunk
As for The goop on lines we were thinking sewage off a cruise cause man it stunk too

Back to the reports.
Headed out this morning in Metalpause despite the wind forecast which didnt materialize.
No boats visible at West Van, none around Cowan, none at the QA. Where is everyone?
Good water so crossed to Thrasher for the flood. Guides were there.
Started slow, then hooked an undersize, and another, then one small keeper lost at the net....ok, its going to be one of those days :(
But we kept at it....boxed a 10 red, and finished with a 20+ marble and another undersize. :):)

18 crab in the pot, 2/3 male and all just a quarter inch undersize....no keepers.

Back to the reports.
Headed out this morning in Metalpause despite the wind forecast which didnt materialize.
No boats visible at West Van, none around Cowan, none at the QA. Where is everyone?
Good water so crossed to Thrasher for the flood. Guides were there.
Started slow, then hooked an undersize, and another, then one small keeper lost at the net....ok, its going to be one of those days :(
But we kept at it....boxed a 10 red, and finished with a 20+ marble and another undersize. :):)

18 crab in the pot, 2/3 male and all just a quarter inch undersize....no keepers.

Good on you for getting across and having some luck. I've been hoping to get across the strait myself. Seems pretty dead in these parts right now.

Yeah it sure sounds slow out there. Makes you wonder whats going on. Supposed to be a good year for springs and it looks like its fizzling out to be a dud.

Who is the member that has the boat Cobia; blue hulled with an arch?

Recognize the name and the boat from the forum. (May even be a profile/avatar pic) ;)

Someone is headed to Vanier and hopefully will throw in a positive report as everyone has been hoping? :p

Drove by me down by Vanier/Kits Point while I was walking the pooch. :D

Who is the member that has the boat Cobia; blue hulled with an arch?

Recognize the name and the boat from the forum. (May even be a profile/avatar pic) ;)

Someone is headed to Vanier and hopefully will throw in a positive report as everyone has been hoping? :p

Drove by me down by Vanier/Kits Point while I was walking the pooch. :D

I see that guy all the time too. He gets out in the water quite a bit...used to see him often when I would log a few days on the guide ships and my personal sled. Countdown is on until vacation!

Anyone getting out tomorrow. Was thinking of headed to thrasher.

20160629_194117.jpg I've been at bowen almost every day the last 2 weeks. The fish are moving around between Tunstall and Cowan, but if you move around you should be able to find them every day. Had 2 in the 20-25lb range near the hump yesterday, screaming line, but my inexperienced friends weren't able to get them to the boat.
Smaller herring aids (3-3.5) and small Jughead nano squirts (white or purple) have been the best producers between 20 and 80' with the most action at 20 and 60.
These 2 were from 2 days ago near Cowan.

Been at thrasher since 9. Tough crossing but it's only gotten better weather and wave wise. Managed a couple of coho myself. My old man can't seem to keep anything on the hook today, lost 1 good size spring about 20' from the boat and several coho, a few released shakers.
Action has dropped off since 12.

Been at thrasher since 9. Tough crossing but it's only gotten better weather and wave wise. Managed a couple of coho myself. My old man can't seem to keep anything on the hook today, lost 1 good size spring about 20' from the boat and several coho, a few released shakers.
Action has dropped off since 12.

Ya it was a little nasty getting over there with the SE winds. Nice getting back though. Just went for a boot over to Saltspring, for a change of scenery. No moorage left in Ganges with the long weekend, so I just headed back. Stopped and did a little bottom fishing there in the afternoon. Got one big ling and another decent size one. Both were released, didn't feel like keeping anything today.

Glad to hear one good report from this side of the strait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back