OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I should be out by 2-3 pm. Not sure if I will launch at MacDonald or down town.(North Arm can be nasty. Most likely down town) I'm between big boats right now and fishing out a blue 16' Prince Craft with a side console and 40hp Yammy. I wired in my electric downriggers and put in a good bilge in case a bit of water splashes over. I used this boat late July in Nootka and had a blasted landed a ton of springs in 3.5 days. I also bought a good VHF handheld (ICOM M92D) and registered the MMSI number. Radio is water proof and floats. If something happens I can hit the emergency switch and it will send out my GPS coordinates. Hope I don't have to try that.

On another note when a buddy and I were out on Sunday my radio's MMSI went off with an unknown and bounced through my radio. Being I was in a small boat and lumpy conditions not much I could do. Also I didn't see any GPS numbers with it. Did anyone else see it?

R

Rob,

The water at the mouth of the arms isn't typically nasty unless the tides and the wind are playing on each other...shouldn't be a problem today IMHO.

Have a good time and looking forward to hearing a good story!

I should be out by 2-3 pm. Not sure if I will launch at MacDonald or down town.(North Arm can be nasty. Most likely down town) I'm between big boats right now and fishing out a blue 16' Prince Craft with a side console and 40hp Yammy. I wired in my electric downriggers and put in a good bilge in case a bit of water splashes over. I used this boat late July in Nootka and had a blasted landed a ton of springs in 3.5 days. I also bought a good VHF handheld (ICOM M92D) and registered the MMSI number. Radio is water proof and floats. If something happens I can hit the emergency switch and it will send out my GPS coordinates. Hope I don't have to try that.

On another note when a buddy and I were out on Sunday my radio's MMSI went off with an unknown and bounced through my radio. Being I was in a small boat and lumpy conditions not much I could do. Also I didn't see any GPS numbers with it. Did anyone else see it?

R

I too have a Princecraft!

hi I went fishing this afternoon 2 to 7 30 went first to t 10 for 2 hours 1 spring lost to the boat, another bite didn't stick, move to north arm 1 hour nothing, went to the bell to jerico lost another fish not big, went home, not to much action around, someone hook few fish, but for me was a slow day, hope better luck tomorrow

Checked the weather at 7, it was good to go. Was out on the water and through Sandheads by 930. Very rolly-polly! Thank goodness for sea bands, or I would have lost my breakfast. Trolled the Banana Line over to T10 and back. The winds calmed down by noon and she was pretty much flat for the rest of the evening.

No fish. Didn't see many people taking fish either. Did run in to a school of sockeye though, one jumped and bounced off the boat!

Same deal for us at Sandheads late afternoon for few hours and only couple of jacks and a pink but no springs. Water was good but hardly anyone out.

Brutal ...... Up again today at five, wind forecasted to deminish to 15 ........ At 5:15 it's blowing 37 and 41 off sand heads and westam ....... Has to be a better system you would think.

Now at 8 20 showing 35 and 45 at sea island and westam ....... sheesh

Now 5 after 10 AM ....... blowing 43 off westam and 35 off sea island ....... good forecast ........

Last edited by a moderator:
Brutal ...... Up again today at five, wind forecasted to deminish to 15 ........ At 5:15 it's blowing 37 and 41 off sand heads and westam ....... Has to be a better system you would think.

What are you talking about? At 5am sandheads is reporting nw 22 knots... Just as forecasted, nw 20-30.

Looking at my crystal ball (forecast model), looks like the wind should be diminishing from around 9am onwards, afternoon should be fishable, keep checking on conditions.

Was out yesterday, fished north arm to sandheads, very slow. Released 3 pinks, an undersize and missed a couple pin poppers. Saw what looked to be a nice teener boxed by a nearby boat. Marking much fewer fish and very little bait compared to a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out yesterday with my son and father-in-law from 12-4:30. We started at the t-10 and worked to the q-a to Point Grey with only two pinks to the boat (one of which was my boy's first solo-played fish). Probably ten boats working the t-10 when we arrived and we saw no nets out. There were a few fish on the sounder at the t-10, but like someone already mentioned, way less than last week. Might try Saturday again, if the wind cooperates.

Ryan, I think High Tide is talking Kilometers Per Hour and not Knots.

Also, did you notice the water yesterday had an unusual colour to it? Sort of a murkyness? I was marking schools of what I assume are Sockeye around 150-200'

I figured I check these forums so often that I better start posting.
Launched in N. Van yesterday and tried to head back to T-10, where we slayed them last Sunday. It was too lumpy so we fished in the freighters.
I sure am glad we did because we picked up 4 nice springs and lost 2 more. One nice one played dead and as soon as I went to net it and said "surprise", peeled under the boat and into the prop...Gone.
We even had two double headers! Fished all depths and were using chovies and Irish Cream. Saw more fish being caught but I think we had some luck on our side.

Was slow for us too. Fished 4 to 7 Tues, we went 5 for 9 in that time frame all springs from 10 to 17lbs. Yesterday same time frame we got a 14 and bunch of undersize. I'll be back our this afternoon. See you guys out there!

Ryan, I think High Tide is talking Kilometers Per Hour and not Knots.

Also, did you notice the water yesterday had an unusual colour to it? Sort of a murkyness? I was marking schools of what I assume are Sockeye around 150-200'

Yes. A bit of a brown algae bloom happening out there right now in spots.

Back