OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

hi I was out to the bell and gerico , until 10 30 am, the ocean was not good, I am home now and I see 10 kn at Sandheads, but I think not many are fishing there,2 bon chovy boats were there, hope tomorrow would be better to go t 10, ps el kabong, please can you tell me where did you see the forecast for tomorrow, I will appreciate, see you on the water thanks

Im going to sanheads in the morning, Ive been looking out my office window day dreaming all week, I can't take it anymore. fishing on the mind

Might be lumpy in the morning but should calm down.

I just spent a couple hours at sandheads. Good enough to shake out the cobwebs after rewiring the boat, but we decided to come in for an hour, it's really lumpy. Hoping for a decent afternoon bite

I believe that the the announcement last Friday closed the "banana" to all salmon fishing until further notice.When someone says they were just fishing AT Sandheads not 4 miles west of it, I thought that a heads up might be helpful.....

Effective at 23:59 Friday, August 14, 2015 until further notice, fishing for
salmon is not permitted in Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 and the tidal
waters of the Fraser River.

Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 are those waters also known as the banana.
The tidal waters are those waters of the Fraser River from the mouth to the
downstream edge of the CPR bridge at Mission, BC.

Current run size estimates of Fraser River Summer Run sockeye salmon combined
with record water temperatures in the Fraser River have resulted in no
allowable harvest and a conservation concern. The Department's priorities are
to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the spawning grounds.
The Department will manage all fisheries to minimize sockeye impacts and
provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social and
ceremonial purposes.

Recreational fishing opportunities on the Fraser River for pink and chum salmon
are anticipated later in the season subject to available abundance.

We'll be be heading off the Sandheads tomorrow. Wondering if anyone has any reports from Pender Harbour/Sunshine Coast area as debating heading up early for a family reunion and incorporating some fishing.

We got a coupe 9 lb springs in Pender area last weekend. And buddy got 2 20s at Epsom Sunday. I'm planning Epsom this Saturday as it looks like the wind may subside for a bit.

Skunk on the boat, Pippen linked to the site I use.

Though I'm a total newb at saltchucking around vancouver, I have learned to trust this website. It gives live wind reports from various stations around Vancouver. Anything over 15 knots and the mission is scrubbed.

Form the forecast, Thursday morning, Friday through Sunday looks good to go.

My advice is make as many friends as you can. Often a simple text message can change your day drastically

I believe that the the announcement last Friday closed the "banana" to all salmon fishing until further notice.When someone says they were just fishing AT Sandheads not 4 miles west of it, I thought that a heads up might be....

High time you might want to check your charts or call DFO. You're missing out on some great legal fishing. 29-3 touches sandheads, it's not behind a 4 mile buffer

Loved the bronze color of this one at t10 today
82383ac0c222e425d484da99d137df75.jpg

23lbs 120' in 250' of water. Glow jellyfish flasher with small chovy in global chartreuse teaser head.

Last edited by a moderator:
High Time can you explain where in what you posted is a reference to 4 miles west of Sandheads because I don't see it? Several other people have explained in detail where the banana is and none of them made reference to 4 miles west of Sandheads. I've been out twice since the closure and have seen several charters fishing right off Sandheads.....are you saying they don't know the waters and are fishing illegally?

Up at 5am, and she's blowing 18 @ sandheads.

I'll make a breakafast, take the dog for a walk and check again in a little while.

suppose to be dropping to light winds.....ha ha then picking up again this eve

Humble apologizes, my bad. Used to be a boundary out to the separation buoy SW of Sandheads. Not much protection for sockeye on the north side of the river mouth...

Back