OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Be aware of opposing wind and tide/fraser flow directions out there. It can get snotty in a hurry with standing waves

Quarry shoal was really good this weekend. Probably best fishing I've ever had there yesterday (Sunday - Monday). Can be really spotty: sometimes they are there, other times there is nothing. Definitely not my favorite spot but it worked this weekend! Only out for a few hours. Every time we made a speed change or turn we would get a bite (usually a pink). Right off a large bait ball. Let a lot of pinks go of course - Only my fishing buddy likes to keep those :eek: (they are good fresh though!). Sunday was a lot of pinks and no springs for us.

First fish in the morning yesterday was a 12.5 lb spring, and our last fish was a really thick spring that taped out to 22lb... Needlefish in it's stomach

When we hooked the first spring in the morning, we were looking for the net... Woops, don't have it! Well that definitely made things more interesting!!! :) Mostly everything on Bait, anchovies, biggest spring was on a herring at 115' no flasher - Pinks never went for the herring at all. White hootchie also worked decently!

View attachment 19420

View attachment 19423

View attachment 19421

Saw you out there Sunday. Nice to see that big spring. Good for you. I tossed back several pinks that morning but kept a nice big coho. Quarry has been so good for the whole season. I'm still going to fish there for a while.

Past pender harbour on the Sunshine Coast by Jarvis inlet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checked out cates last night for a few hours on the Flood. No signs of any Pinks which I thought was strange.

Stopped at sand heads on my way home from Powell River and drop the hook for 20 minutes. Boxed a scrappy 14 pounder on my pink gear ( white flasher white/pink hoochie at 40 feet)
Lots of salmon and feed on the sounder

Fished T10 Monday am. Was running anchovies in green grow and bloody nose holders, looking for springs. No springs but lots of pinks at the usual depths from 40-80ft. Run some lines at 100-120 ft trying to stay out of the pinks, but no hits in this range. Limited out on pinks inspite of ourselves, catching them as deep as 95ft. All action for us was offshore from T10 in about 500ft of water.

Lots of luck in the Cap mouth area this week. 12lb spring. 16 lb spring this morning along with two hatchery coho. Caught some pinks earlier in the week. Trolling between 40 and 60 feet in a circle around the mouth of the cap. Most caught on small pink and white hootchies. Micro flasher and green onion. One undersize spring
caught on a spoon.

Lots of luck in the Cap mouth area this week. 12lb spring. 16 lb spring this morning along with two hatchery coho. Caught some pinks earlier in the week. Trolling between 40 and 60 feet in a circle around the mouth of the cap. Most caught on small pink and white hootchies. Micro flasher and green onion. One undersize spring
caught on a spoon.

Curious the time and tide you were fishing? I was there Tuesday early morning and got skunked, not much in terms of bait balls either. Bon Chovy as well as several other boats out and didn't see one fish to the boat....it was just another exercise for me ;).

Curious the time and tide you were fishing? I was there Tuesday early morning and got skunked, not much in terms of bait balls either. Bon Chovy as well as several other boats out and didn't see one fish to the boat....it was just another exercise for me ;).

I saw one Bon Chovy charter boat and about 10 other boats Tuesday morning. Yesterday, there were two Bon Chovy boats out, but not many others. I started at 6:20 am Tuesday by myself and fished until about 11 am on the flood tide. I caught a wild coho, an undersize spring and a pink that day. Yesterday my friend in the boat caught the 16 lb spring near the bridge on a pink and clear speckled hootchie at about 7:30 am. Then we caught two hatchery coho right about the time of the flood slack. All three are in the pic. We let a wild coho go and I lost a fish too. I didn't see many other nets out either day though.

However, we had plenty of days going through the "excercise" as you say, including lost gear and gas. We fished about 12 separate days in June and July with not a bite!!

20150805_095711.jpg

I saw one Bon Chovy charter boat and about 10 other boats Tuesday morning. Yesterday, there were two Bon Chovy boats out, but not many others. I started at 6:20 am Tuesday by myself and fished until about 11 am on the flood tide. I caught a wild coho, an undersize spring and a pink that day. Yesterday my friend in the boat caught the 16 lb spring near the bridge on a pink and clear speckled hootchie at about 7:30 am. Then we caught two hatchery coho right about the time of the flood slack. All three are in the pic. We let a wild coho go and I lost a fish too. I didn't see many other nets out either day though.

However, we had plenty of days going through the "excercise" as you say, including lost gear and gas. We fished about 12 separate days in June and July with not a bite!!

View attachment 19465

Wow, nice fish! Was everything on hoochie? Good to know that I'm not the only one out there that's had a few days this month with nothing to the boat....started questioning myself, cleaning all the gear, checking leader lengths, relining the reels etc etc......hope to break this mojo this week and next.

You made a boy very happy. He posted on fb.
Derek? He was a lot of fun to fish with. Even with the language barrier he definitely knew how to tie gear and how to handle a fish on a rod!

I was going to bring him again today but my leg just lost all of its oil. I'm on the hard hoping it's not a total loss

Wow, nice fish! Was everything on hoochie? Good to know that I'm not the only one out there that's had a few days this month with nothing to the boat....started questioning myself, cleaning all the gear, checking leader lengths, relining the reels etc etc......hope to break this mojo this week and next.

Oh believe me, I had my share of days with nothing even biting. I was ready to pack it in 10 days ago. Trip after trip with "absolutely nothing". But it changed suddenly and we started catching them all on different hoochies but all with white, pink or clear/spackled tentacles.

Fished Point Atkinson to Cap Mouth this afternoon. Nothing until 4:00 then couple of hits and then picked up a 14lb red spring on a pink squirt at 38' at Cap mouth.
c98b428024573ff8d2301c215c7a655e.jpg

Does one have to worry about currents when fishing point ak and cap river mouth?

Back