OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

So we are fishing the bell today and we get a big hit on a shallow hoochie flasher setup. This fish puts up a spectacular but short fight. We get it in close and it looks to be a sockeye... As it gets closer, it's definitively not a sockeye... Round spots on its back... Well we get a look inside its mouth, white gums and white tongue... WHOAH... is that really what I think it is I ask my buddy... Yep a nice wild 8lb-ish steelhead... We are both accomplished steelhead fishers... We know a steelhead...

It's a first for me in the ocean. Anyone else ever get one? Especially at this time of year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished around T10 today. I caught two sockeye jacks, a coho jack, and two pinks. Fished Sandheads in the evening, nothing.

I didn't see any boats hauling in fish either. Seemed rather slow.

Fished around T10 today. I caught two sockeye jacks, a coho jack, and two pinks. Fished Sandheads in the evening, nothing.

Caught a steelhead with a sting Zelda near tsawassen ferry terminal years ago.

Does one have to worry about currents when fishing point ak and cap river mouth?

Be careful at Cap mouth if you are in a small craft w/o a lot of hp. The tide rip can be very strong on a big tide change.

And watch the shallows as it will creep on you super fast if not paying attention.

Hi went fishing yesterday 8 to 2 pm Atkinson area, good action in the morning, but lost so many pinks then the baiting stop,ended with 6 fish , hope more action tomorrow, have a fun

So we are fishing the bell today and we get a big hit on a shallow hoochie flasher setup. This fish puts up a spectacular but short fight. We get it in close and it looks to be a sockeye... As it gets closer, it's definitively not a sockeye... Round spots on its back... Well we get a look inside its mouth, white gums and white tongue... WHOAH... is that really what I think it is I ask my buddy... Yep a nice wild 8lb-ish steelhead... We are both accomplished steelhead fishers... We know a steelhead...

It's a first for me in the ocean. Anyone else ever get one? Especially at this time of year...

Yes I have caught Steelhead ff Pt. Roberts years ago on herring strip and flasher. Rather a cool surprise.

My dad back in the day got a steelhead off epsom that would have been the early 80's was about 10lbs, def a huge surprise

Years Ago I got one on the west coast of the Island....great fight, then let her go. Was using Anchovies with a red flasher about 50' down.

watch out for swimmers crossing english bay from Sandy Point beach west Van. to Kits beach tomorow morning. Im running a support boat for a good friend that is swimming the 9km.

Fished the Cap mouth and west van this afternoon with my 8 yr. old son, hoping to ignite his thirst for fishing by getting into a few pinks. Alas, it was not to be as we, amongst about 20 other boats, didn't see a fish. I did get a big hit on my shallow rod, but it didn't stick.

I was in one of the other 20 boats. Fished from 10am to 330 or so. Marked lots of bait and quite a few arcs but hardly any interest. Had one big hit in the late morning, ripped the whole chovy out of the teaser head and left a twisted up pair of hooks and line, rigger at 40' in 80' of water. Hooked one pink for the day just after the high slack right around the pink apartment building.

Looks fairly windy off pt atkinson. I was going to go but the forecast was a little shy of how it's shaping up. Supposed to ease up in the evening but be careful to those going out.

Up at Pender Harbour. The sea is angry my friends. Like an old man sending back cold soup in a deli!
Hopefully it lays up later today or tomorrow. Was planning to fish Quarry Bay or Epsom Point..

Fished from 10 -330 , started off west of pink hit a nice 8lb coho on a coho killer and the bonchovy flasher been pretty good with that set up shallow !! ,working it hard .... after 12pm water started to flatten out , fished real tight to ambleside and hoping for coho no luck but hitting pinks , good fight ! :D.

Loose lines !

Though it was breezy around Sandheads this afternoon, it wasn't unmanageable. No nookie love, not many boats out either.

Up at Pender Harbour. The sea is angry my friends. Like an old man sending back cold soup in a deli!
Hopefully it lays up later today or tomorrow. Was planning to fish Quarry Bay or Epsom Point..

Yes it was quite nautical here in Pender today. We went up the channel to the Goliath Bay Area. Managed a nice good size spring. Water was boiling with jumping pinks but never hooked into any of them.

Fished point Atkinson in the morning yesterday, no bites so we moved to Ambleside near the pink apartments, had 2 pinks to the boat but our netting job was a little lack luster :). Moved to cap mouth and had a huge hit that I was sure was going to spool me, the popped off. Circled back around the cap mouth a few times and finally brought in a 14 pound spring and it only took us 4 times with the net to get it in the boat ;). White hoochie and short leader, 38 ft on the rigger right at the cap mouth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back