OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Trolled Cap this morning in search of coho no luck ,water was flat ... didn't stay long ,pulled up the gear and headed for the Bell , a good flow of fish moved in ...
springs on anchovy and irish cream skinny G spoon ..used it for the first time today and it has a nice action ,one spring on the spoon..
GOPR0451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi tincan thanks for the report, I don't like to bother people but I red you hook lots of fish and lost 2 only, because my score is less than 50 percent, last time 4 spring and 1 only on the boat, I tried lots of combination and spent lots of money on hook, I would like if you can give me some advice to improve my scores, thanks again antonio

Kill the skunk and change username to salmon slayer!:p Just kidding.

I think the most important thing is to keep the line tight, the second you give it slack the barbless hook falls out. Good luck.

Skunk
Make sure your hooks are sharp.....sticky sharp, keep your rod tip up and do not give him any slack, let him run if necessary but dont give him any slack

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Pretty nice... Bit of a swell, but that's about it. Very light breeze which is supposed to die down as the day goes on. Boxed a 16 lb spring around 8:30 am. Looks like a few others have been lucky as well. But I didn't see many boats at the Cap, you probably want to head there ;) !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got blown off yesterday on the outside gower pt around midday

so fished inside of gibsons untill these fellas swam through

at least 3 of them one with a calf

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 405
Great day yesterday on the chuck. We got to the North Arm at 7:15,gear down by 7:30. First hit was on a green spatterback spoon within 10 minutes. While playing that fish our second rod (anchovy) went off. Needless to say, with both of us on rods we were having a challenging time netting my fish. Finally my fishing partner dropped the net in the water and we watched as it floated away :(. At this point it was either cut the lines or figure something out. Deciding to play the fish out until they were tired was the only option. After 15 minutes mine seemed ready. I handed the rod (partner now holding his rod in his left with his fish still thrashing and mine in his right). Had him hold the right to the bow of the boat while I grabbed my line and tail grabbed the fish (after lots of thrashing). Next was the second fish and after another 20 minutes I recognized he was tired enough to try for another tail grab. After several dives and some crazy thrashing I was able tail grab this one and into the boat. 2 15#`ers (one white one red) within 40 minutes of being on the water - woot! Trolled around the north arm until around 1 and decided to hit the mouth of the cap after refueling in Coal Harbour and a quick peek at nets at the marina(where we decided it was too much money to spend $100 on a net. Went to the cap and within 30 minutes had another large hit. Played that fish for 30 minutes and was able to tail grab it into the boat as well. Another 14# spring. I can't really express the feeling of tail grabbing fish, it was surreal. It was also one of the only times I've ever been out and landed all fish that we had hits on.... very epic day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider having a small gaff on the boat ........ But good job on the tailing issue ...... Can be a challenge given gunned height ........ Check your pm box Realodarious

Great idea on the gaff. It was my buddy's new boat (new meaning old, but new to him) so he's still working on gear. He has also never caught larger salmon before and was a little freaked out, to say the least.

lucky he did not let go of the rod ....lol

next time hint and tip
take the end cap off and spray foam the inside of the landing net pole
or slide a foam noodle section on to it so it floats

Omfg I totally said that to him yesterday, that we should spray foam the inside of the net... Haha

just got back from south arm. fished from 7 until little after 9. no luck for me short of one lost and a couple hits. newbe then pulled out banana bread...after knowing no bananas....need to be clearer next time.

Hit the Point Grey Bell Bouy to the T10 marker this am from 7am to 2pm flood tide. One mangled Anchovie to show for it. Counted around 30 or so boats only seen a couple of nets out. A seal beside us had a good chow down on what looked to be a Pink. Did mark one School of Pinks go by under the boat. Was a beauty day to be out there, nice sunny weather and calm seas! Cheers

Great day yesterday on the chuck. We got to the North Arm at 7:15,gear down by 7:30. First hit was on a green spatterback spoon within 10 minutes. While playing that fish our second rod (anchovy) went off. Needless to say, with both of us on rods we were having a challenging time netting my fish. Finally my fishing partner dropped the net in the water and we watched as it floated away :(. At this point it was either cut the lines or figure something out. Deciding to play the fish out until they were tired was the only option. After 15 minutes mine seemed ready. I handed the rod (partner now holding his rod in his left with his fish still thrashing and mine in his right). Had him hold the right to the bow of the boat while I grabbed my line and tail grabbed the fish (after lots of thrashing). Next was the second fish and after another 20 minutes I recognized he was tired enough to try for another tail grab. After several dives and some crazy thrashing I was able tail grab this one and into the boat. 2 15#`ers (one white one red) within 40 minutes of being on the water - woot! Trolled around the north arm until around 1 and decided to hit the mouth of the cap after refueling in Coal Harbour and a quick peek at nets at the marina(where we decided it was too much money to spend $100 on a net. Went to the cap and within 30 minutes had another large hit. Played that fish for 30 minutes and was able to tail grab it into the boat as well. Another 14# spring. I can't really express the feeling of tail grabbing fish, it was surreal. It was also one of the only times I've ever been out and landed all fish that we had hits on.... very epic day.

Good Job, sounds like an amazing day

Nice story realtordarius. do you think the net sunk? I shoved a bunch of corks in the handles of my nets. Not sure if they'll float but hopefully can't hurt.

Back