OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

At Sandheads from 11am till 3pm didn't see one large fish taken. Newbie on board lost the only one we had on.

Fished North Arm from 12 to 5 pm. Had one on within 10 minutes of getting there on Skinny G spoon, was going good until the fished passed the boat at a high rate of speed , next thing you know I am battling a rather large seal ! My apologies to the fellow with his young son when my gear wrapped around his riggers. Got that all sorted and line went slack after wrapping around my prop. Got all my gear back but no fish. Hit 3 more fish after that boxed one white spring, one broke off on the line that had wrapped on the cable. Going out again tomorrow for some redemption. :) Only saw one other fished netted near the Bell Buoy.

HarryR

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a great day. Started out with the cooler sliding in the bed o the truck and messing up a rod. Ok fine. Fished chovies all day. One undersized released and five springs all lost due to not being able to net them solo in my boat. Last one was a screamer and to my dismay I never checked my leader after the last four lost and the line broke at the knot. This was the biggest fish I had on all day. Finally gave up and ran back to vanier. Boat halfway on the trailer went to got into the bed of the truck to pull it more the rope snapped and I went flying. Thanks for the canopy no one saw me.
I know there was people watching me lose these fish. Just one of those days. All fish were at 45 feet.

Nice story realtordarius. do you think the net sunk? I shoved a bunch of corks in the handles of my nets. Not sure if they'll float but hopefully can't hurt.
Yup, think the net was either sunk or not findable by the time we got turned around. Good idea on cork

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

At least you are finding the fish. Are you running 6-7' leaders for anchovies like most people? Makes it tricky when solo especially if your light boat is tippy or gets pulled in a circle by the fish? Possible solutions include 4' leader on a 8" flasher; 4-5' leader with no flasher(use a dummy); play the fish for a while, clear your rigger and ball on that side, then when it's tired, speed up a bit and surf it to the aft corner bonk and gaff or just gaff it while you sit on the back seat.

Had a great day. Started out with the cooler sliding in the bed o the truck and messing up a rod. Ok fine. Fished chovies all day. One undersized released and five springs all lost due to not being able to net them solo in my boat. Last one was a screamer and to my dismay I never checked my leader after the last four lost and the line broke at the knot. This was the biggest fish I had on all day. Finally gave up and ran back to vanier. Boat halfway on the trailer went to got into the bed of the truck to pull it more the rope snapped and I went flying. Thanks for the canopy no one saw me.
I know there was people watching me lose these fish. Just one of those days. All fish were at 45 feet.

How do you guys tell what the fish school is by the sounder??

On my lowrance, springs look like an arch and not ness in schools, but more defined.
Pinks are usually a hard red/yellow mass much like bait balls but bigger and much longer,and sockeye appear like scratches/claw marks from side to side on the screen

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

OLAY!!!!!

KABONG!!!!

After the Orca Pod cruised by Sandheads, we hauled in a ~25lb Chinook. Clear Blade Lemon-Lime Flasher, Anchovy, 65' in 350' of water.

Then on our way back we got a scrapy ~12lb chinook, just off the light ship. Purple Onion flasher with an Anchovy. 185' of water.

Released four undersized chinooks too, one was 61cm, just a C-hair away from being KABONGED!

Had a triple header of mid teen springs at 830 am off the North arm and landed all three. Circled back a coupe more times and lost two more springs. Action stopped at 9:15, stayed out till 2.

At least you are finding the fish. Are you running 6-7' leaders for anchovies like most people? Makes it tricky when solo especially if your light boat is tippy or gets pulled in a circle by the fish? Possible solutions include 4' leader on a 8" flasher; 4-5' leader with no flasher(use a dummy); play the fish for a while, clear your rigger and ball on that side, then when it's tired, speed up a bit and surf it to the aft corner bonk and gaff or just gaff it while you sit on the back seat.

As the fish were very active I tried everything. First few I tried playing till tired and ended up spitting the hook. Last one had a 6 foot leader and I tried The full pull but must have damaged the leader on a previous fish and the leader broke at the hook. Just all in all not my day but good to see the action. Hard decision to net or gaff as if I lean a little to far over the edge of the 14 foot pricecraft you guys might have to fish me out of the water

What. A. Day. Went three for three at the Bell Buoy / T10 today. Was pretty pleased with myself to get a 16 lb-er just after 8 am, then wife landed a 10 lb spring around 11. I wanted to check out Sandheads or the Cap, but the wife had a feeling and wanted to stay. Around 1 pm her rod popped and by the time she had it out of the holder she had a screamer on. After about 20 minutes (about the same time or shorter as the first fish), and on the second netting attempt, we managed to wrestle a 35 lb-er into the boat. All of sudden my first fish looked barely legal and the 10-er looked like bait... All were reds and caught on anchovies between 55 and 65 feet (the 10 and 35 were bucks and the 16 female).

Saw a fair amount of action on other boats. A few double headers and heard of one other boat with a 20 and a 30.

The slab looks a bit short from the rigor after being in the cooler...

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

What. A. Day. Went three for three at the Bell Buoy / T10 today. Was pretty pleased with myself to get a 16 lb-er just after 8 am, then wife landed a 10 lb spring around 11. I wanted to check out Sandheads or the Cap, but the wife had a feeling and wanted to stay. Around 1 pm her rod popped and by the time she had it out of the holder she had a screamer on. After about 20 minutes (about the same time or shorter as the first fish), and on the second netting attempt, we managed to wrestle a 35 lb-er into the boat. All of sudden my first fish looked barely legal and the 10-er looked like bait... All were reds and caught on anchovies between 55 and 65 feet (the 10 and 35 were bucks and the 16 female).

Saw a fair amount of action on other boats. A few double headers and heard of one other boat with a 20 and a 30.

The slab looks a bit short from the rigor after being in the cooler...

View attachment 19965

View attachment 19964

Some outstanding slabs there....You can rub some luck my way....LOL

Just passing under the second narrows , gonna work out way through bell buoy through to T10. Will report back

Any news from T10, North Arm or the Bell this a.m. ... curious whether the pods of black and white killing machines that cruised thru late yesterday afternoon have turned the fishing off this a.m..

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news from T10, North Arm or the Bell this a.m. ... curious whether the pods of black and white killing machines that cruised thru late yesterday afternoon have turned the fishing off this a.m..

Been out at Bell since 8am. Real slow. Only a couple guys with bites and saw one to the boat. Unlike yesterday.

Wow, what a tank, nice work CBsqrd!

Fished the Bell from 12:30 till 3:30 yesterday, didn't even have a sniff till about 3:15 when both rods went off. I was by myself so I wasn't able to get them both but I did manage to pull in a 12 pound dinger. Chovy in a green speckled head and a shiny green dodger at 45ft on the rigger. Definitely seemed a bit slower then the last couple times I've been out, beautiful day though.

Been out for a few hours a little east g t10, one wild coho at 65' and a stripped cuttplug after a solid smack on the other, only seen one other guy catch a seagull

Yesterday morning, I arrived at the fleet at the mouth of the north arm at approx. 9 am and the boats were in close formation. I thought that some fish must have been taken and looking at the sounder, I saw lots of fish, so good place to start. After fishing for a few hours with nothing to show, but one missed hit and a mangled herring,and not seeing anyone else getting any I decided to pull the plug and head over to the t-10 to try my luck. After getting a nice greeting ("haven't seen you out here lately") from one boat, I proceeded to troll the area, and was rewarded with a hit that I thought might have been a pink at first because it was coming right in without much of a fight. When it got closer to the boat it decided to run and screamed out a bunch of line three times before trying to net it. Because I couldn't convince either my son, daughter or wife to come out I was solo and the wind had picked up to the point of white caps, so it took encouragement from a couple of other boats (thanks boys!:eek::cool:CAM00474.jpgCAM00473.jpg) and three tries before I got the 23lb. red doe into the boat. It took almost 6hrsof fishing, but good day out there. 35 ft on a glo white hootchie.

Back