OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Pod of 4 orcas went through Gibsons Gap heading out to SoG last night around 6:00 pm last night.

Bonked a low 20's red spring off of HITW today.

Bite occurred shortly after morning slack and was in the top 100 feet of the water column.

Best of luck.

Fished West Van in the AM and then the hump until 6. One tiny flounder/sole. Two hits the whole day, nothing to the boat. Washed some chovies.

First coho of the year. Tiny 2lber in the harbour. Picked up a nice 13lb marble elsewhere. Slow grind it out day solo.

new at this

Bonked a low 20's red spring off of HITW today.

Bite occurred shortly after morning slack and was in the top 100 feet of the water column.

Best of luck.

I am new at this and just start fishing in the salt water.Where is HITW?
I am going out sunday monday fishing where should i go?Close to vancouver?

HITW is Hole in the Wall....basically following north along Hwy 99 from Horseshoe Bay up thru Sunset Marina area and even north...just follow the hwy.....offshore. ;)

Where to fish? I'd be off Entrance Island near Nanaimo but if staying local...HITW, West Van or the QA marker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hole In The Wall is between Horshoe bay and Sunset Marina, lower end of Howesound. There, WestVan shoreline are good local bets

Spent time at West Van shoreline and HITW during the week.

Saw a couple smaller coho taken in West Van in tight near pink building, but we didn't get any bites.

No luck on Cap springs either.

Saw Predator charters take a decent spring at HITW Monday, and ours came in on Thursday at HITW.

I will continue to fish HITW until I spend a day there without seeing a spring caught, and then I will shift to the QA buoy as Pippen mentioned.

That being said, if you have a big boat and can cross to Entrance Island, do it!

Hope this helps!

Fished and spearfished Thrasher yesterday, picked up some nice bottom fish including a 6.5lb ling. Great conditions for spearfishing there. Lost my anchor unfortunately.

Spent time at West Van shoreline and HITW during the week.

Saw a couple smaller coho taken in West Van in tight near pink building, but we didn't get any bites.

No luck on Cap springs either.

Saw Predator charters take a decent spring at HITW Monday, and ours came in on Thursday at HITW.

I will continue to fish HITW until I spend a day there without seeing a spring caught, and then I will shift to the QA buoy as Pippen mentioned.

That being said, if you have a big boat and can cross to Entrance Island, do it!

Hope this helps!

Yes my boat is a good size and thanx guys for all the input is all good.Let you know if i get anything.

Fished and spearfished Thrasher yesterday, picked up some nice bottom fish including a 6.5lb ling. Great conditions for spearfishing there. Lost my anchor unfortunately.

Isn't the current a bit strong for spear fishing at thrasher? Also isn't 6.5lb pretty borderline for legal size on a ling, how are you sure it will be legal? Not trying to criticize, just don't see how you could possibly be sure a fish that size is going to be legal, if you have some method let me know about it.

Spent all afternoon solo off west van Thursday. About 4-5 boats all working further out, and one in tight in front of pink building. Didn't see a net out the whole time and not a bite. Crabbing was good as a consolation to no fish. Had I stayed longer, I would have had an oceanside seat to a big country star concert at Ambleside. I left :)

Hey RyanB. When the tide is ripping it's not too good out at the rock but there is a two hour window during each tide change when the current subsides enough, which is plenty of time to get fish. The only thing is the cold water, over on the Howe Sound side it is way warmer! When the tide is strong I go between the Islets closer to Gabriola where the currents are lighter and there are still lots of fish. Regarding the ling that one I got on rod and line but the others I got on the spear gun. It was 27 inches long which I think is a good size because the large ones are breeders and are full of worms, yes it would have been hard to tell if it was legal in the water.

when out today and washed the gear
with the winds of late fishing has been somewhat restrictive
and not getting to area's where fish should be and having to fish elsewhere:(
also not much bait showing

till next time

Saltchuck newbie here. But I'd like to thank this forum for the information I gleaned from it.

First time out saturday and I bonked a 12lb red Chinook today at the mouth of the Capilano. 70 ft down, Kone Zone dummy flasher, Chartreuse Lemon-Lime flasher, salt brined Anchovy in a green-glow flasher.

Saltchuck newbie here. But I'd like to thank this forum for the information I gleaned from it.

First time out saturday and I bonked a 12lb red Chinook today at the mouth of the Capilano. 70 ft down, Kone Zone dummy flasher, Chartreuse Lemon-Lime flasher, salt brined Anchovy in a green-glow flasher.

Well done!

Please tell me you "bonk" with a guitar.:p

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,036
Back