Odd little fish in Prawn trap today…

Go.Fish

Not sure what it was? It had sores on the front of its snout and by one of its gills. Also one eye was pointed upward, poor little fella wasn’t going to win any beauty contests but he swam back down to 200’
F2174E96-6A64-4998-A85B-EBD62172E4D9.jpeg

Was the netting slimy? It looks like something I’ve seen before on the west coast called it a slim eel as it coated the net and anything else in it with slim. Hard to get off the netting and a big pita.

Definitely not a slime eel (Hag fish). Looks a bit like a type of Gunnel fish but the head is a bit too big and long.

It wasn’t really slimier than the average fish. It was a square rigid prawn trap (1/2”x1” openings) and he was stuck in the bottom in the shape of a U. His head was inside and his tail was inside totally stuck like the trap landed on it. Not the type and size of fish you’d often see in a trap as he would’ve easily escaped if not for being stuck

See if you can send the pic to UBC or BCIT or DFO etc and maybe they can ID it. Curious to know what this little fella is too.

Not sure what it was? It had sores on the front of its snout and by one of its gills. Also one eye was pointed upward, poor little fella wasn’t going to win any beauty contests but he swam back down to 200’
View attachment 68746
I’ve caught a bunch of these in my prawn traps off Galiano this year. It will be interesting to know what they are.

It does look similar to some of the Eelpout's but I can't find any info on an Eelpout species that hangs out in our waters. They are said to be very wide spread around the world though. Interesting to find out if that's what it is and if so what kind of Eelpout if it is one.

It does look similar to some of the Eelpout's but I can't find any info on an Eelpout species that hangs out in our waters. They are said to be very wide spread around the world though. Interesting to find out if that's what it is and if so what kind of Eelpout if it is one.
One reference for eel pouts in BC waters "Family Zoarcidae - eelpouts / lycodes 231 Peden and Anderson (1978) were unable to ascribe definite northern limit on the distribution of Lycodapus dermatinus Gilbert, 1895, but presented evidence which indicated that the!species may be present in British Columbia. Any specimens of the midwater eelpoutgenus Lycodapus should be retained for careful examination." Pretty limited, but the one in the pic sure looks like an eel pout

Such a weird name for a fish, fitting for an oddball looking thing. Haven’t found the exact genera yet. Thinking DFO will probably reply on Tuesday, will update when they do. Thanks for the ID that definItely looks like a winner so far. And most likely juvenile based on the size of its eyes in relation to its head

Back