Ocean Kayak

Can you post a pic of the rod holder mount? Just bought a touring boat and am curious how to do this without sacrificing a nice yak.
Hi, you'll need to drill four holes to mount a scotty rod holder. Sit in the boat, place the rod holder in its base position it near the top edge, I used the right side of my foredeck cause I'm right handed, seemed logical (makes for a left handed bonk), i used the side mounting hole for the rod holder to holder base which allows me to rotate the holder to point more forward when trolling and more backward when landing the fish and need to be hands free. Thru bolt the holder to the deck with a plywood (1/2 inch or less?) back plate. I left enough room for my bungee compass to mount between me and the holder.

Attachments

• IMG_20160518_085917.jpg
    IMG_20160518_085917.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 11
What happens to your sounder unit if you tip your kayak? Is is toast?
Don't know --other than tipping it on purpose at the lake to practice self rescue, I've never had my fishing kayak flip over. Now my surfing kayak, that's a whole other story!
T2

Do any of you have trolling motors on your kayaks, or are those pretty hokey? I'm defiantly intrigued by the idea of fishing from a kayak but wonder how much ground you can cover without killing yourself. I live in Sidney and would love to be able to put in at a local beach and put around for a few hours. How fast can you reasonably troll with a peddle drive system?

Do any of you have trolling motors on your kayaks, or are those pretty hokey? I'm defiantly intrigued by the idea of fishing from a kayak but wonder how much ground you can cover without killing yourself. I live in Sidney and would love to be able to put in at a local beach and put around for a few hours. How fast can you reasonably troll with a peddle drive system?
I have a German made electric motor that fits into my drive well on my hobie. I bought it second hand but it was still pricey. I use it to extend my trolling period a bit when the current picks up. When I am manually peddling I can troll a 5 or 7 lb ball at 2-2.5 mph.If I was in the market for one now,I would probably go this diy route.

I do have the torqueedo which uses a lion battery, relatively low weight. I don't know what these guys are using on the diy setup. I know some use a deep cycle regular size marine battery which will give you hours of trolling time, but the weight is substantial.
T2

Back