Oakbay halibut and currents

jaymasta

Hey,
I'd like to try a little halibut drift fishing in the oak bay area. I attempted last weekend and I was out on the flats at almost dead on what the navionics app said was slack tide...I tried fishing it from about 15 minutes before to 15 minutes after 0km/h currents...once I shut off my motor and let my boat drift my GPS was reading 5-6km/h drifting towards discovery island from midway to trial I area. I could hardly get my line on the bottom and when I could the depth was changing so rapidly it didn't seem like it was worth the effort. I am looking at this upcoming Friday and it appears to be very slow currents from 7:45am-1:00pm (less then 1km/h) From what I have been told this will be almost the best conditions for an attempted drift for halibut but my attempt last weekend was a complete waste of effort and time. Although I did get a few hours of salmon fishing in I would have at least liked to feel satisfied that I had a shot at a halibut, I certainly did not feel like that last weekend at all. Any advice, or tips in this area would be helpful, did I read the current incorrectly, was it just a bad day, it didn't seem windy at all? I'm fishing out of a 14ft double eagle so I can't go out unless very good conditions. And the wind/waves send me in pretty quickly.
Thanks in advance
Jason

Last weekend, full moon and big tides/currents.
This weekend looks much better.
looks like good drifting between 8:00am and noon on friday.

currents.jpg

Try a gentle reverse into the current. In and out of gear depending on how hard the push is. You will find this gives you pretty good control even when the tide is running.

So just bad luck last Saturday. I'll probably try tomorrow as long as the wind keeps down. Wish me luck :)
I'll probably be the smallest boat out there yet again lol.

Yes !! A gentle backtroll will help ALOT!!

NO its not bad luck last weekend it was fast current.... period
There is really only about 12 days in a month when its "prime" time next set start in mid may.
you really need to sit down and study current books etc a flood tide in oak bay is smoking fast a ebb not so much.
Good luck Wolf

Back