O.G. Scale Plug Re-Paints

Rather liking that look. Please let us know the product!!
Would like to try some of that myself...

Cheers,
Nog
The product I used was Createx Auto-Air Flair Color- Shift Silver/Spectrum #4446 in a 4 oz bottle. Createx Wicked Colors is the same as Auto- Air line now so basically one name now no confusion between the two. Createx Wicked Colors makes a 2oz bottle under the same name #W453 The tops of the plugs where squired with Createx Wicked Colors Metallic Fastback Green #353 and it shifts from blue to green. Very cool paint too.

The product I used was Createx Auto-Air Flair Color- Shift Silver/Spectrum #4446 in a 4 oz bottle. Createx Wicked Colors is the same as Auto- Air line now so basically one name now no confusion between the two. Createx Wicked Colors makes a 2oz bottle under the same name #W453 The tops of the plugs where squired with Createx Wicked Colors Metallic Fastback Green #353 and it shifts from blue to green. Very cool paint too.
7696A6CE-B855-4497-B59C-C411F53ABE89.jpeg

I have to say that in following this thread, you certainly are very creative. I have a ton of old tomic plugs that all need repaints in the off season. I've never tried air brushing. Getting inspired to give it a go. Any tips on how to get started, things to do and not do etc would be greatly appreciated. Just wondering how much I will need to shell out to get started...basic equipment recommendations, costs, and best paints to start with. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have to say that in following this thread, you certainly are very creative. I have a ton of old tomic plugs that all need repaints in the off season. I've never tried air brushing. Getting inspired to give it a go. Any tips on how to get started, things to do and not do etc would be greatly appreciated. Just wondering how much I will need to shell out to get started...basic equipment recommendations, costs, and best paints to start with. Thanks in advance for your advice.
First off, spend some money on your airbrush. It’s not worth trying to learn how to lay down paint when your unsure if the problem lies with your technique or the cheap butt airbrush you may have bought off of Amazon or Craigslist. I absolutely love my Iwata HP-CS but Iwata, Passche or Badger all make good airbrushes. Remember.... cheap **** ain’t good and good **** ain’t cheap.

Createx makes a great line of paints in many different colors that are all water based. Clean up is a cinch and the fumes aren’t going to clog up your lungs like solvent paints. Maple Air Brush Supply out of Edmonton is a great place to order your paints from. Good prices and outstanding customer service. There are a few lower mainland art supply stores that sell paints but inventory can be limited.

If you already have a shop air compressor than all you’ll need is a moisture trap. Otherwise your options are to buy a dedicated airbrush compressor that only runs when spraying or a small pancake style compressor. The pancake compressor will be noisier and bulky but always comes in handy for other household projects.

YouTube is the most valuable resource when starting out and trying to decide which end of the airbrush should be pointed in the direction of your canvas. Paint reduction takes a bit of trial and error and is anything but an exact science, you’ll just need to put the time in and get a feel for it.

Last edited:
Some good advice Chilli. I use a old not so fancy Pasche vls dual action syphon feed with the 1/4 oz cup. It came with 3 different needle sizes that come in handy for some of the metallics and pearl paints. I find with my setup not sure if it’s my brush or using createx wicked but I have to thin the paint and can be a pain. Biggest learning curve was getting the right consistency in the paint and proper air pressure ( u will need a air regulator with gauge) I found having extra cups pre mixed up ahead of time and sitting for 10 min made for better consistency and less waiting around when you do a color change. Once you get your mix dialed in it’s just a matter of playing around having fun.

When I re-painted all these plastic plugs I scuffed them up with 400 grit wiped clean with alcohol water mix. I started off with a mixture of createx opaque white, 25% createx 4030 and reducer. After a few light coats i will then dust on a mixture of equal parts pearl white and UV additive then 25% 4030 and reducer. I use a hair dryer to heat set between coats and this is my base coat ready for color.

Thanks for the great advice. My shop has an air compressor, so I will take your advice and get a moisture trap and a regulator set up. Sounds like the biggest thing is learning from experimentation. I have a lot of old commercial tomics that need a repaint, so plenty of practice candidates.

Back