O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Out off the sand heads at about 800 this morning.. Got our 8 by about 1030. The 8th was a bit of a challenge lost a couple before we got it. Good consistent action as good as the last couple of weeks.. Got the all with gear running between 100 and 150 feet at 2. 3 knots. Changing depth regularly really made the difference. Half of them still nice and shiney.

Finally!!!! Got out with the kids on a dead calm day when the fish cooperated. Woke the 6 & 8 year old boys up shortly after 6 am this morning and headed to sand heads. Lines in the water by a little after 8. 12 in the cooler by 10am. A few double headers too. nothing like watching a 6 & 8 year old manage the rods at the same time with dad trying to get everything else sorted out. I only fish 2 rods when the action is like that. Had the riggers between 80 & 100. I haven't been out for a long time but fish are starting to look a little more colored, meat still good of course. And nice fat one's too. Here's a pic of my boys with our limit. It was quite funny...the 6 year old said ohhhhhh...so you have to wake up early to catch fish like the adults...I might have to keep an open seat for them now full time.

kids sockeye limit - Sept 15 Sandheads.jpg

Well it's a day off tomorrow morning then lol.... seines ! , mop up time . what an awsme sock season it has been thnx for the seine report swiggy .

Cheers ! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else having trouble getting their sounders to work properly out there?
It's the birthday this month and wife's asking about a gift idea so maybe time to move up to a color unit....if anyone has some advice on lower to mid range models would appreciate a PM on it.
Cheers.

With the talk of the seine boats from tuesday through thursday, am I right in thinking that most of all of the holding fish will be taken? Is it realistic to think that fresh fish could move in friday/saturday to make fishing worth while this weekend? Would love to get out once more...

There'll be Spring Salmon and some Coho around until well into October & Chums to come-with the weather looking great for the weekend it's a no brainer go for it.

Ya we picked up a spring on sock gear at Sandheads on the weekend, I'm not if we should drag sock gear there once more or switch gears and head to Van Harbour area. I would like to hit the south arm but just not sure how big of an effect the seiners will have, I'm assuming they are going to be working all the way from north arm to Sandheads and would expect them take there share of all salmon species currently running.

Bait is a steady producer this time of year and sometime Herring is the thing to have.

A plain Red Teaser Head can be deadly in the fall for whatever reason that and the standard White Hootchie.

Ya we picked up a spring on sock gear at Sandheads on the weekend, I'm not if we should drag sock gear there once more or switch gears and head to Van Harbour area. I would like to hit the south arm but just not sure how big of an effect the seiners will have, I'm assuming they are going to be working all the way from north arm to Sandheads and would expect them take there share of all salmon species currently running.

The seiners will be very effective. They will certainly mop up just about everything that's left out there. I saw 5 or 6 of them staging outside sandheads last night waiting for the opening. I'll be fishing North arm, Bell, West Van and the Cap from now on. It's a shame they have to have this opening since they've already caught 6.8 million and I'd personally like to see more allowed through to the spawning grounds.

The seiners will be very effective. They will certainly mop up just about everything that's left out there. I saw 5 or 6 of them staging outside sandheads last night waiting for the opening. I'll be fishing North arm, Bell, West Van and the Cap from now on. It's a shame they have to have this opening since they've already caught 6.8 million and I'd personally like to see more allowed through to the spawning grounds.

I watched the Seiners all get ready lasyt night as well. Landed 4 of 5 in the meantime in 75 ft. It will affect how many are left for us Sporties however the upcoming rain would likely send many of the last ones upriver anyways. And the spawning grounds also have an ultimate number needed. If too many spawn that is not good either as there would be too many fry and not enough food for all of them.

the counter was max,d out up in Mission , and estimates of 500,000 fish a day moving thru....
The spawning beds do not need more fish. A surplus only harms the spawn.
There are lots of fish to go around. Commercial , sports ,native,bears , and spawners.
don,t deny someone making a honest living , and feeding the public.
not everyone can be so lucky as us and go out and catch a salmon.

Well I decided to head out this morning and battle the seiners for a last few sockeye of the season. With the 9am opening I figured I'd have a couple hours of fishing without having to worry much about them. Turns out they wind their watched/iphones different than mine as several boats were dropping nets by 7:45am when I finally made it to sandheads. Is that typical or was the opening time not 9am Pacific?

Anyways, fishing was OK for us out there. Ended up getting a half dozen in a couple hours and that was enough for us. Just when I was thinking about how civil the rec's and seiners were with each other a big seiner comes charger up beside me, drops his skiff and net and proceeds to circle right in front of me and around me. I had to turn 180 degrees and punch it to 8 knots in order to not be caught in his net or hit by his boat. After barely getting to safety I headed to the back of my back to lip him off... fell on deaf ears of course. Not even a wave or much of an acknowledgement at all. I was fishing outside of where the majority of seiners were doing what I thought was the respectful thing. This prick just didn't seem to care and after chatting with a few other buddies who were out this morning there are plenty in the commercial crew who are equally prickish.

Must have counted close to 50 seine boats from south arm to T10. Pretty nuts. I'm not against the commercial fishery, especially during runs like this one, but they aren't doing their reputation any favours with me.

Back