O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Anyone know if the seiners are done? Was it just a 1 or 2 day opening? I'm planning to head out this weekend to clean up any sox that evaded the fleet. Should be a few springs and coho around as well so next few weeks still look good even though sockeye is more or less done.

Wheres the pic? No pic, then it didn't happen! Lol

Smiley!

10416613_10152262368911277_505397198980266475_n.jpg

And a better shot of how fat it was.....not super long but definitely tubby. ;)

10592706_10152262369131277_8631706577974404201_n.jpg

Thanks Pippen.

Hey Nooky, not saying that the tried and tested flashers out there don't work, but in close quarters at the Cap you can really see the gear people are using. I would say the majority of fish we saw landed were on kinetic flashers....that iridescence is unmistakable when the flasher is in the air. ;)

Coors?

WTH?

Had to try something new. Coors Banquet is actually not bad.....I don't drink any darker beers/pale ales. We have done plenty of R&D into what beers stay carbonated in a can the longest when on a boat. Yesterday was not a true test as the water was pretty flat but it held up well. In WCVI chop.....Budweiser tends to be the best from our experience with Kokanee being among the worst; it's flat in about 3-4 swells....which means drink it on 3-4 swills. ;)

Had to try something new. Coors Banquet is actually not bad.....I don't drink any darker beers/pale ales. We have done plenty of R&D into what beers stay carbonated in a can the longest when on a boat. Yesterday was not a true test as the water was pretty flat but it held up well. In WCVI chop.....Budweiser tends to be the best from our experience with Kokanee being among the worst; it's flat in about 3-4 swells....which means drink it on 3-4 swills. ;)
LMAO! Glad to know, I drink Bud when out on the water!

Anyone know if the seiners are done? Was it just a 1 or 2 day opening? I'm planning to head out this weekend to clean up any sox that evaded the fleet. Should be a few springs and coho around as well so next few weeks still look good even though sockeye is more or less done.

Found this in regards to the commie opening:

The Fraser River’s sockeye run is being hailed as exceptional by fisheries experts even though there is considerable doubt about how many millions of salmon remain at sea and how many of those fish should be caught.

“I would call it a great run,” Jennifer Nener, area director for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), said Tuesday as seine boats were given a three-day opening to scoop up late-arriving sockeye off the mouth of the Fraser.

That would make today the final day wouldn't it? Heres the link, not sure how accurate it is but I found some points interesting.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...run-size-uncertain-but-great/article20635137/

Just getting back into town from Bamfield, sounds like still a few socks around???
Hopefully get a shot on Saturday on Sunday, I need a break after 6 straight days on the big water.

Where were you sandheads or north arm?This was for Pippen with the white tyee?

Last edited by a moderator:

What about the FIREBALL ??
image.jpg

This from DFO today, not sure if this is the area in question or not.

The Area B seine commercial sockeye ITQ fishery in Area 29 was extended from
Friday September 19th to Monday, September 22nd, 2014. Details will be
announced in a separate fishery notice.

Yes Area B license for seines is all areas south of Cape Caution. But only area 29 is open for them obviously.

Back