O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

From Hero To Zero.:rolleyes:
Sunday out with the lads and found over 20 fish for them to play with and boxed our 12. Good consistent action throughout the late morning and early afternoon. Headed out today at 3:30 to the T10 hoping for a spring for a change saw lots of fish everywhere and couldn't buy a fish for the life of me. We actually were getting numerous false alarms by what i believe were fish just running into our lines but not one legitimate take. Just couldn't figure it out....tried all the tricks that worked over the past few weeks and nothing. Beautiful sunset and perfect water but wonder if the full moon has affected things....seemed to recall the same issue last full moon. Commies were out in force and heading back up the south arm to Captain's Cove at dusk was a gong show....they were still out and man it was a challenge avoiding getting hung up.
Water was really rough in the river heading out past Steveston at low tide but once past the mouth was perfect. Think I go back to the morning routine and hope things are better Saturday.

I'm at the south arm now. Pack is spread out. 3 sox and a king

Nice work Lucky!! I was fishing south arm from 9 till 3, got 4 socks by noon but I had a double header, so I brought the first one in, then got to work on the second one, he was a lot feistier, he came in between the kicker and the main so I dragged him into the motor well, hook fell out he laid there for a sec I touch his tail and he nose dives back into the drink, so I did circles on a big school of non biters till 2:45 trying to get my 4th fish back but ended the day with 3. I've been out alot the last 2 weeks and have been pretty successful but I've had to work for my fish except for last Sunday flat calm and played fish all day reminded me of 2010, where, when and what did you catch your tyee on?
Cheers

We had a great trip over to Sandheads and ended up with our limit of fish up to 12 pounds.

The forecast talked about a big blow in the afternoon and wow they were wrong. I've never seen it that flat.
I am impressed with the effort and your crossing. right on!
thanks for the pics of Porlier Pass, the old stomping grounds.

We made the run across from Crofton yesterday as well, for the first-light bite. Our first trip across and what a beauty day! We went 7 for 8 and it seemed like a grind, however our expectations may have been a little high. Especially when we saw all of those jumpers over there. A few even hit the boat which was good for a laugh. We also discussed the chance that the bright moons may have altered feeding patterns. We marked lots of schools and the lines and rod tips would bounce through the fish but no bites. That was a little frustrating. The sox were taking hooks between 80' and 100', gibbs-delta uv flasher (green w/ red stripe), running 18"-20" leaders. It sure was a great day to be on the water! SS

I am looking to run over from Thrasher this weekend in a smaller boat.
I would leave Brechin at 0530 and arrive at Thrasher at 0615 at the latest. Taking False Narrows to get there.
My boat and crew are very experienced, just prefer to run with company.
The crossing is the same distance as running from Clutesi to Nahmint.

Is there anyone interested in being a buddy boat?
It would be dependant on forecast.

By the sounds of it and by my past few days out fishing it seems like the sox fishery is starting to taper off. I think most of the big schools have either moved into the river or, in the case of Adams fish, are staging in schools at the mouth now. I've noticed the fish over the past 2-3 days have all been a little more rivery (slimy, coloured, hooked nose, etc.). The meat is still awesome but I'm not catching many chromers. Was out this morn early again and ended up bonking 6 before 9am. Not bad at all but certainly working a LOT harder for our fish. I also didn't notice many other boats catching fish at all... maybe saw just half a dozen other fish on between the several dozen boats at the north arm. I'm sure I missed some but it's wasn't red hot that's for sure.

Great end to our day as I had started pulling in rods 1 at a time and we hooked up just as I was popping the 3rd rod. Got that one in and then popped the 4th and put it away. Brought up the downrigger and noticed my top dummy flasher was tangled in fishing line. Pissed off I start pulling in the line and notice that a nice Green UV flasher is attached to it..... and then I notice it's not pulling in as easily as it should... turns out a nice 8lb sockeye was also still attached! I handbombed it in and netted the fish for our 6th of the morning. First time that's ever happened to me. Great way to end the day! Thanks to whoever mainline snapped off that nice fish too! I'll happily return the flasher and squirt if it's someone on here that lost it. Just identify the squirt used and come pick it up. I'm keeping the fish tho ;)

Tincan

If it was a green hot spot flasher with a blue stripe and a yamashita michael bait squirt (white head with pink body), that may have been mine.... North arm 2-300 feet of water.,,
Going solo and having to get the fish in without a net is challenging...especially running 4 rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there timbuc2 it's Scott here aka "Sara says no!" Met you on gabriola. How's things going, you had much luck out there? Going out on Sunday maybe see you there.

I would assess the situation, is the large fibreglass boat in the type of danger that I would risk myself in a small tin boat? Is it perhaps just a matter of calling C-Tow and having proffessionals do the job so no one gets hurt?

Was not about being safe it was about helping out. In my mind and in the books I thought it was an rule to help out a stranded boater. This is not the first time for me to tow someone in. Last time I was solo on a 24 foot whaler and towed a 65 foot sailboat in. Just my mind set as if I was stuck and watched people get back home safe. These conditions were completely safe and there was no imposed dangers other than being underpowered to tow. Just wish Vancouver boaters were more about safety and not about who can catch the most fish. Sometimes cutting people off and posturing needs to stop. Anyhow if you cut me off or gesture to me and your in trouble I will still be there for you on the water. Maybe times have changed but my upbringing on the water is sea worthy. Tight lines

Hey Scott,
Goin' well. Fishing's still on Fire!!! I may be out on Sunday but got a derby on Monday. I'll PM you my number or vice versa, if you get a chance first...
Good luck tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fish on x 2

Nice work Lucky!! I was fishing south arm from 9 till 3, got 4 socks by noon but I had a double header, so I brought the first one in, then got to work on the second one, he was a lot feistier, he came in between the kicker and the main so I dragged him into the motor well, hook fell out he laid there for a sec I touch his tail and he nose dives back into the drink, so I did circles on a big school of non biters till 2:45 trying to get my 4th fish back but ended the day with 3. I've been out alot the last 2 weeks and have been pretty successful but I've had to work for my fish except for last Sunday flat calm and played fish all day reminded me of 2010, where, when and what did you catch your tyee on?
Cheers

First of all Panorama ridge is South Newton, Whoop whoop!!!!
Secondly Fish on !!!!!! I knew someone was gonna bite on the king remark, we laughed about it as we were posting.
third......I do love America, who can complain about 12 MGD bottles for $10.46 at Winco. Ridonkulous

Fish was caught by my amigo Bryn with the 2010 mystery flasher (Thanks PF), and a small pink hooch, with glow head, 5 ot black hook, with 18" leader at 89 feet (mogilny) in 200 ft of water just inside station Harry.

Sox fishin was hard times for us as well, after crazy easy limits in earlier weeks.

enjoy the week lads

Was not about being safe it was about helping out. In my mind and in the books I thought it was an rule to help out a stranded boater. This is not the first time for me to tow someone in. Last time I was solo on a 24 foot whaler and towed a 65 foot sailboat in. Just my mind set as if I was stuck and watched people get back home safe. These conditions were completely safe and there was no imposed dangers other than being underpowered to tow. Just wish Vancouver boaters were more about safety and not about who can catch the most fish. Sometimes cutting people off and posturing needs to stop. Anyhow if you cut me off or gesture to me and your in trouble I will still be there for you on the water. Maybe times have changed but my upbringing on the water is sea worthy. Tight lines

I agree with Blackmax, trying to tow a larger vessel may result in additional danger to both vessels and sailors, so best to stay on site until CG or CTow show up, if in imminent danger a lending line may be warranted. (But that's why we have anchors) . Some Captians don't realize that our that Coast Guard must tow you in if you are unable to afford a tow charge and if it was an uncontrollable situation without cost (running out of fuel may cost you ) (that came right from a member of the Coast Guard ).

The posturing/cutting others off is really unacceptable especially by charter operators. I've had more near misses/t-bones by the so called pros,yes they make their living at it,but the rules apply to us all.What are the pros teaching their clients?The person who catches the most at any cost to others safety is the winner!Only in Canada Eh?

By the sounds of it and by my past few days out fishing it seems like the sox fishery is starting to taper off. I think most of the big schools have either moved into the river or, in the case of Adams fish, are staging in schools at the mouth now. I've noticed the fish over the past 2-3 days have all been a little more rivery (slimy, coloured, hooked nose, etc.). The meat is still awesome but I'm not catching many chromers. Was out this morn early again and ended up bonking 6 before 9am. Not bad at all but certainly working a LOT harder for our fish. I also didn't notice many other boats catching fish at all... maybe saw just half a dozen other fish on between the several dozen boats at the north arm. I'm sure I missed some but it's wasn't red hot that's for sure.

Great end to our day as I had started pulling in rods 1 at a time and we hooked up just as I was popping the 3rd rod. Got that one in and then popped the 4th and put it away. Brought up the downrigger and noticed my top dummy flasher was tangled in fishing line. Pissed off I start pulling in the line and notice that a nice Green UV flasher is attached to it..... and then I notice it's not pulling in as easily as it should... turns out a nice 8lb sockeye was also still attached! I handbombed it in and netted the fish for our 6th of the morning. First time that's ever happened to me. Great way to end the day! Thanks to whoever mainline snapped off that nice fish too! I'll happily return the flasher and squirt if it's someone on here that lost it. Just identify the squirt used and come pick it up. I'm keeping the fish tho ;)

Was it a red mainline?

I agree anyone out at the arms or cap today! Trying to make up my mind for tomorrow! Thanks.

I agree anyone out at the arms or cap today! Trying to make up my mind for tomorrow! Thanks.

Was at the north arm today. 8 in the boat. Lost at least that many. Never seen so many fish. They were everywhere. Trolled from NA down to T10. Sox were hitting the glow needlefish I put down for dingers. 95 on the riggers in about 300. Cheers

We were out at the Sandheads this morning early...arrived at 7:30 Am after launching at Crofton at 6:30 AM. Started out fairly close in ( 200 feet of water) and as the day progressed we moved out with the tide but it pushed everyone, it seemed into the shallow mouth of the South Arm. The " bite " was almost non existent from what we could see. All around in a large number of boats you could see the odd one being netted all morning, but no real time when everyone was catching them....just one here, one there. We left at 1:00 PM with 8 on board, caught all over the depth spectrum....between 50 feet to 110 feet...lost one fish that was a chinook for sure. We suspect the fishing is nearing an end for any significant bite period,; at least. Surprisingly it didn't seem to matter which flasher colour or hootchie colour...one on each of white head / red body, all hot red, blue head red / body...most on red flasher but saw others using green flashers....they didn't work for us. What was amazing was the large number of very large, very dense schools of fish on the sounder...our lines were bouncing as we went through them, but no way would they bite...I admit we called them a few names after an hour of bouncing through them with no bite.

Back