O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

So much for that idea then. It sounds like some of the top producers are using the kones.

Last edited by a moderator:
A certain blue was working best for me. Tried to find more when I still had the one, I couldn't and now lost that one. I think it makes a big difference. It wasn't the one Profisher posted but similar.

To funny i just bought a kone zone today at Nikka ,great idea i think gonna give it shot tomorrow ... haha give the fish a night club .

What colours are you using? I've had some success with the green and the purple haze. I have a red one I bought at the boat show that I thought might be good but that one after several hours has yet to catch a fish.

Got skunked on sockeye a few weeks ago and went straight to the tackle store. They had red Kone Zones so I immediately bought two!

what he said...great post ...
dont over think it , kone zones NOT NEEDED...
slashing blades is what ya want ,
was out sunday , was rediculous fishin ,
pay attention to the basics , leave all the bling bling for the wives n mistresses
leader lengths n speed are CRUCIAL ...
seen some of you goin backwards out there , watch ur cables , angles!!
we hit fish at 4.5 mpg goin with the tide !! no need ta be in the center of the pack either lol,
pay attention to guys nailen em , but pls , give the some breathing room ,
some fancy drivin goin on out there for sure :)

gd lk , fun fishery , get the kids n newbies out !!

fd

Personally I have yet to prove to myself one color out fishes another when it comes to attractors?
My favourite used to be green then I was given a case of blue hot spots and I now have a new favourite color, blue LOL
I run Kones and hotspots of all different colors, what maters most (in my opinion anyway) is put as much gear as tightly grouped as you can with out getting tangles and maximize your soak time.
Next big one is your speed, ya gotta watch your angle the speed your gear is working is huge and it changes with every direction out there from the winds and tides.

The Fog Ducker;367624]what he said...great post ...
pay attention to the basics , leave all the bling bling for the wives n mistresses
we hit fish at 4.5 mpg goin with the tide !! no need ta be in the center of the pack either lol,

Well said F D

As F D said pay attention to detail. I use leaders as short as 18 inches to 30. Change my speed often ....... I don't fish the pack either. Got all our limits outside the big bunches of boats on the weekend. No need to be T Boned by some jack not paying attention in wide open water. There's lots of room and TONS of fish out there. My entire theme is red pink orange and silver on all flasher dummies and flashers followed by my variety of Mini Hootchies some gllow heads others not ........ When we start banging em I focus on what's worked and zero in on that presentation and delivery ..... Go get em ! They are still coming strong !
Good luck out there H T

fd[/QUOTE]

what he said...great post ...

fd

Interesting suggestions, I'll see what it's like to put regular dummies back the lines.

we run kone zones at the cannon ball and run the gear really close together there is not a certain flasher or colour that works better for us.i think its really important to keep it all close together was out with my bud couple weeks ago and he thought I was running to big a spread between lines even though I was catching fish so ive closed the gap and been doing a lot better more doubles etc.
Interesting suggestions, I'll see what it's like to put regular dummies back the lines.

Lines in the water at 6:35am at the north arm. Out of the water at 8:15 with 8 nice sockeye. Cleaned, vac-packed, in freezer and back at work by 10:15. Good start to the day.

North arm was great for us this morning. We fished in a little tighter (150-200 ft of water) than most of the pack who were fishing out in 300+. Gear working at 60-75 ft with some cone zones and dummies below. Lots of jumpers and fish finning and nice schools on the sounder. Would have been done sooner if we didn't lose a few as well. Get while the gettin is good !

Wow .... has it died out there today after noon ... not 1 report since almost 12 ....... are the Gill Netters hammering them hard around North Arm T 10 Sandheads ...... or are they
mainly fishing the river.

Hope to go tomorrow any one out this afternoon tonight ?

Tanx
HT

Gilnetters closed this morning at 8:00 and open again tomorrow (wed) at 8:00am for 12 hours. River only. Will be out with the wife starting at about 3:00. Then again with my son on Thursday am, then wife again Friday am. Would love to hear a positive afternoon report as well.

Wow .... has it died out there today after noon ... not 1 report since almost 12 ....... are the Gill Netters hammering them hard around North Arm T 10 Sandheads ...... or are they
mainly fishing the river.

Hope to go tomorrow any one out this afternoon tonight ?

Tanx
HT

We were at the south arm from 4-8. Landed three at supper time. 80' down. Super calm waters. image.jpg

Hit Sandheads this mornin around 730 and started a tad slow but then had steady action. Hooked about 14 and landed 9 for the two of us. Had a bud out trying to teach him the ropes and still learning. The 9th we had to throw back as we caught it while taking up the gear after landing number 8. When others weren't hitting anything we were getting them deeper than the norm with the terminal gear actually at 110 once you compensate for dummies etc. I've had good success at this depth over the past week. Also running a faster troll than most. Many opinions on speed and one old timer told me most important is the action of your gear and that is determined by how much water is passing that gear due to boat speed and the currents. He said increase your speed till you see bubbles running down your down-rigger lines. I've used this as a general rule with great success. I run two cheap simple mirror chrome dummy flashers on each side that I paid a buck a piece for used. One rod each side and the one old rod flasher that's just got a shade of pink in it on the one side with a fish eye on it has out fished anything I've put on the other rod 5 to 1.....go figure. Looked everywhere to find another and not to be found.
If there's any experienced fishermen from the Rock that would be interested in heading out on weekdays over the next few weeks and helping out with some gas money then PM me.
Cheers.

On fire again early this morn at North Arm. Easy limits for 4 within a couple hrs. Looks like the BIG schools have started to show. Probably 200 boats out there when we packed up and headed home at 8:30. Good to see so many keaners out there getting their fish now as this is one of the few plentiful runs where bonking limits isn't a bad thing. 70-85' on the riggers worked best for us this morning. Lot's of nice sized schools and tons of jumpers. Also had our first quad of the season! (landed 3, lost 1) in addition to many doubles. Great time to be a fisherman in Van.

I took out three friends who don't get out much and they had a blast. Will be taking out a bunch more newbies over the next couple weeks as well. great fishery for newbies and kids and by the looks of if on the water I'm not the only one doing so.

Mornings have been great recently. Anyone know it's slowed down in the afternoons?

Yep, tough to take………. less than a 5 minute run to put a doz in the cooler by 8:10 it would have been 8am but let 2 pretty beat up ones go.

Great to watch the wife and daughter compete and rib each other when they loose one or knock them off with the net LOL

South of the north arm jetty
70-80'
glow squirts

Back