O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Caught a nice 18 lb Spring at HITW about 2:30 on a spoon at 60ft.
upe3aby5.jpg

that the fish i seen.lol nice fish again salty raven

I thought I was having a tough time due to being a novice but it seems like it's been slow for everybody.

I was determined to catch a coho and went out on Monday afternoon, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings without getting a sniff of anything. On Tuesday my anchovies came up a few times bitten or half-missing, but without any fish to show for it. I was using Jughead bait heads with a trailing hook.

I went to Highwater Tackle on THursday and got more bait and some Rhys Davis anchovy bait heads. Also was advised to brine the anchovies before use to toughen them up.

Back out on Friday afternoon and I caught my first-ever chinook! 18lbs

Headed out again Saturday morning and hooked something big and fiesty but got broken off. 20mins later got another chinook which I landed but released.

Was thinking about heading out today...

On to the pictures:

My first chinook!
IMG_20140725_163739_zpsc1e0432c.jpg

18lbs weighed at Sewells Marina
P1200287_zpse9f909a2.jpg

This fancy yacht got fuel in Coal Harbour before heading up the Sunshine Coast. Heard chatter on the radio that it will do 55knots!
P1200308_zps288db0f0.jpg

Saw this little gong show late in the afternoon yesterday. Guys in the white boat hooked a fish but didn't have a net. The guy in the dark-hull boat circled around and passed them a net. They were able to land the fish. I heard them say they were using a spoon to catch it.
P1200318_zps8bb2a4c0.jpg

Still hoping to catch a coho one of these days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good gawd that is wild yacht.

Apparently she tops out around 60 knots....

It's a Wally 118 yacht. Sticker, $33 Milion, and according ti wiki its the only one that's been built.

118 WallyPower
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

118 WallyPower is a 118-foot (36 m) luxury motor yacht with a maximum speed of 60 knots (70 mph, 110 km/h) produced by Wally Yachts.[1] The yacht is narrow and angular in design with black glass housing, driven by three Vericor TF50 gas turbines generating 5,600 horsepower (4,200 kW), each driving a Rolls-Royce Kamewa water jet, two steerable outboard and a non-steering booster on the centerline. The steerable water jets also have a diesel engine input for a 370 hp (280 kW) Cummins diesel, thus making the ship a Combined Diesel or Gas Turbine (CODOG) configured vessel. The total power output is 16,800 horsepower (12,500 kW). One 118 WallyPower has been constructed and it is owned by the Kondakji family.

got 1 small coho released it, what a gong show west van is on wknds, too many boats for me, went to hitw and got nothing ended the day with some nice size crabs

Just back from trolling Hole in the Wall and further north from 1:30-4pm. Had a nice chinook on the line just North of Sunset but lost it just off the boat. No other bites. Was caught on a kitchen sink spoon with the rigger at 120'

My GF spotted that yacht while we were out Saturday and wow it was cruising! We thought it was a military vessel.

Today we put in a hard shift sticking to the contours of the mouth of the north arm and came up with squat, not even a sniff. Marked lots of bait but where are the fish? Finished off the day for an hour in west van and same sob story. Seen dmurph out there I think

Was out at hitw from noon to 5, nothing. Didn't see any nets either. Hit west van for the flood until dark. More nothing. Couple buddies in 2 other boats in west van too, no love..... Tan is coming in quite nice though

Thought that was you to, your boat looks killer out there. Man two days and no bites for us, hit Howe sound for the low slack and then west van for the flood. Boat broke down as I was docking into my slip, just got it back from the shop also. Grinding/clicking when engaging into to gear, and then jumping in at a rather high speed. What a grind of a weekend, the boy enjoyed the fire works though, must say nobody has even come close to the show china out on a couple years back.

Thought that was you to, your boat looks killer out there. Man two days and no bites for us, hit Howe sound for the low slack and then west van for the flood. Boat broke down as I was docking into my slip, just got it back from the shop also. Grinding/clicking when engaging into to gear, and then jumping in at a rather high speed. What a grind of a weekend, the boy enjoyed the fire works though, must say nobody has even come close to the show china out on a couple years back.
Hey Dave, it has been a little lack lustre for sure, USA on Saturday was ok, the kids had fun,
I'm hoping for to Japan to pull out all the plugs and let er rip next Saturday,
maybe the dumbass in the 28-30' searay will stay off my anchor line next time,
got out early, tossed the hook in a nice spot only to have this idiot try and anchor right on top of me, literally could have jumped onto his boat, he motored away still dragging his anchor, wasn't liking the lip service I guess

...maybe the dumbass in the 28-30' searay will stay off my anchor line next time,
got out early, tossed the hook in a nice spot only to have this idiot try and anchor right on top of me, literally could have jumped onto his boat, he motored away still dragging his anchor, wasn't liking the lip service I guess

LOL!!

At least you weren't in the canoe that got t-boned by one of the False Creek ferries!

Fished Saturday in west van.. Must have been 40 boats. zero bites and didnt see anyone else getting action. the water was super red with a bloom/ red tide. Fished the Qa marker on sunday no red water and caught this one on a chovie right away. Red water moved in 2 minutes after we caught this one and no action at all after that.. Pulled up and hit the hole in the wall. Water was clear and caught one the same size but lost it at the boat. IMAG0218.jpg

Here's a link to the news report about the bloom. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/11/red-algae-burrard-inlet-english-bay_n_5577899.htm

l

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to give it a go tomorrow... The anchovies are in a brine solution and the alarm is set for 4am... Probably going to take 3 rods minimum so I can try various tackle off West Vancouver. I will update later...

No luck for me on Sunday... Fished 5am-2pm and all a caught was 2 Dogfish! Going out on a friends boat on Tuesday night @ 5pm and trying to decide if we fish HITW or West Van.

Anyone here try the t10 yet? Looked like a whack of boats over there on Sunday.

LOL!!

At least you weren't in the canoe that got t-boned by one of the False Creek ferries!

yep Carl lots of idiots out there, heard a pan pan called on the radio as we were rounding Stanley park some one on the yacht club side had a boat run right into the side of him, not sure of the damages but was severe enough to call out a pan pan and get the coast guard involved, got passed by lots of guys on plane running back to the marina in the dark with 500 other boats out there, morons!!

Back