O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

First time fishing the hump for us. One pollok and a long line release.. Nice out there after the morning wind. Seen a huge sea lion outer harbour in the am, never seen one in Van before. Also had some reports of a sealion up the fraser couple weeks ago. Limit of crabs using freezer burnt deer salami! Honestly didnt expect it to work but my fishing partner called it and he was right. Ran 3 rods 90, 110, 140'. Cant wait to get out there again.

How far off Bowen are you guys fishing, I tried the hump yesterday and couldn't really tell if boats were further out, granted we only fished out there till 11 am. We were in about 400' of water and maybe a 1/2 km off shore, thought maybe boats were further out at the tip of hump. Is it better out there? Tried tunstall and had no luck.

3-5 ish miles off Bowen

Haha....pink hat and glasses were on! Yup....that would have been us! Should have buzzed....the cheese smokies were delightful!

Should have also mentioned.....very south end of the hump....88' and 98' on the rigger. Tried everything in depths from 230 up to 70....when we got on them we were down 90ish feet.

Nice work Scott...that's the way to do it.
Boogeyman flashers are the bomb...love the tape on them..-and the glow blade.
Were you using the 3.0 Pescas?

Nice work Scott...that's the way to do it.
Boogeyman flashers are the bomb...love the tape on them..-and the glow blade.
Were you using the 3.0 Pescas?

Nope...haven't picked them up yet from Jay. Had a few I bought earlier this year from him but can't wait to try the Pesca's

Nope...haven't picked them up yet from Jay. Had a few I bought earlier this year from him but can't wait to try the Pesca's

They're only good once or twice before they start peeling like crap, but I heard they work really well after that ;)

They're only good once or twice before they start peeling like crap, but I heard they work really well after that ;)

Hahaha...I have a few which work really well..it's all the Chinook Hits wearing the paint off!

I am going to fish them off in a rather scientific scenario. Hot Spot and Pesca vs Gibbs Guide Series and G Force......we'll see who wins. I'll also give the a shot vs some old school Luhr Jenen Coyotes...I have enough gear in the water to find out.

Don't forget to give your 50/50 TKO a drag before sticking it on the hat

Last edited by a moderator:
4.0 glow spoons eh jerry ? Weird my friends caught all there fish on 3.5 glow peskas this weekend never got a sniff on there 4.0

4.0 glow spoons eh jerry ? Weird my friends caught all there fish on 3.5 glow peskas this weekend never got a sniff on there 4.0

Troll faster with the 4.0 Pescas. The hook is a little bigger on them so it slows the spoon action down a little. Change out the hook for a 2/0 or 3/0 9510 Mustad and it will liven up the action a bit.

The 3.5 really dances...the 4.0 dances well too..I lay it over top a coyote 5.0 and accentuate the dish ever so slightly and also bend the leading edge up ever so slightly. They are very similar.

Anybody got a pic of a "Pesca" spoon?.....can't find anything on the net about them.....

Seafever.....google "Pesca Spoon Pacific Angler" and you'll find more images as Jay at Pac Angler references them in a few of his blogs.

Pesca_New_Spoon.jpg

Crazy glo qualities.

Pesca_Glo.jpg

Pesca_Retail.jpg

Was out yesterday fishing the south end of Bowen. Pretty slow for us. Had a pin popper on a gibbs g force "no banannas" spoon but other than that not much to speak of. Got a few prawns but need to do some more poking around to find a better spot. Ended up having what I believe was a venting issue on the main and it stalled out and wouldn't run. Suspect it was an air lock issue. Long ride back to Mcdonald ramp on the kicker! lol

What I really like about the Pescas is the nickel back and the strength. The glow properties are fantastic. The Silver Hordes all have painted backs....and I've had Irish Creams bend nearly in half with a 20 pounder hooked mid tongue....rendering it nearly useless.

Although a classic Green blade and one side Glow Hot Spot and an Irish Cream 6 feet behind it off Thrasher has been damn good the last few years...

We've been fishing the hump since 8:00 no action. What's this red crap all over my line it's actually totally coated on the bottom 40 feet and takes a long time to pick off.

Edit: apparently I'm color blind and it brown and bunches up real bad, does not resemble my experiences with jelly

I'm out at the hump too. First time.... Just curious, is there any rhyme or reason to the direction we go or is it a free for all?

What's this red crap all over my line it's actually totally coated on the bottom 40 feet and takes a long time to pick off.

Algae, it really puts a damper on things (not like it's enough work already, heh). If it is stuck on your lure/bait, chances are salmon will NOT be interested whatsoever. Besides, it gets all over your spool if you don't spend 5 minutes picking it off, I hate it!!!

Really crappy to have these random algae blooms. I just started fishing the straight last year and it is a real pain in the butt during the times it happens! Don't think it's getting better any time soon!

Plankton bloom (brown algae) is pretty well an annual occurrence at this time of year....(mid April)

Should start to disappear in about 3 weeks.

It's a beeotch getting it off while fishing.

I usually let mine dry out...then pick it off at home......crumbles easier and comes off faster.

At least we don't have those little fleas that they have in the Great lakes.......they get on the line just like algae and you can't reel....it's worse than our stuff.

last year there were guys handlining their fish in here when they were unable to reel anymore due to big knot of algae on the rod tip.

I have to get it off my downrigger lines too..........:mad:

I'm out at the hump too. First time.... Just curious, is there any rhyme or reason to the direction we go or is it a free for all?

You never know! We followed the contour lines around n Friday to no avail and then decided to head up and over the south end...down roughly 90 on the rigger and found fish.

Back