O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Tried the pink app to the cap no good. Headed to the bell bouy and hooked up just as the wind picked up. Had to leave early as my deck hand had to go.

Seafever.....google "Pesca Spoon Pacific Angler" and you'll find more images as Jay at Pac Angler references them in a few of his blogs.

Pesca_New_Spoon.jpg

Crazy glo qualities.

Pesca_Glo.jpg

Pesca_Retail.jpg
Can you please tell me who has them for sale?

Fished the hump today from 8 till 3, got into alot of cod, probably towed a few of them around for a while. Tried everything in the box. Finally got into an 8lber at around 2pm, seemed to be a bit of a bite happening around then. At 88 ft on a homeland security spoon. Howe sound outflow winds still happening, plus the tide, made it a bumpy ride home & a bit of a challenge retrieving the prawn traps

Could someone please post a GPS cordinate for fishing the hump. Last trip out I only found 400'-600' feet of water in the area i thought was the right area ! or a compass bearing off Point Atkinson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone please post a GPS cordinate for fishing the hump. Last trip out I only found 400'-600' feet of water in the area i thought was the right area ! or a compass bearing off Point Atkinson.

Don't have the coordinates handy but you are looking south/southwest off that corner of Bowen. If you have charts handy you'll see the contour lines out there.

The Horseshoe Bay/Departure Bay ferry pretty much runs thru the area. Generally that is where you'll see the boats fishing this time of the year if you wanna go by a visual.

You may want to use the search feature on here as the coordinates may be posted somewhere.

This should get ya started

Attachments

• hump.jpg
    hump.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 511
You never know! We followed the contour lines around n Friday to no avail and then decided to head up and over the south end...down roughly 90 on the rigger and found fish.

Thanks Pip. I meant more of a direction so we don't run each other over but from what I saw it was a free for all. No luck yesterday, saw one lost at the boat and talked to a couple other guys with no luck. We were off the water at 3, mouth of the north arm was fun. Wife was not impressed hahaha.

Thanks Pip. I meant more of a direction so we don't run each other over but from what I saw it was a free for all. .

Ahhhh......ya....I have not seen much in the way of "flow" out there. Thankfully the area is a bit bigger than the Cap! ;)

Thanks Pip. I meant more of a direction so we don't run each other over but from what I saw it was a free for all. No luck yesterday, saw one lost at the boat and talked to a couple other guys with no luck. We were off the water at 3, mouth of the north arm was fun. Wife was not impressed hahaha.

I suggest we all meet at the southestern most tip of hump each morning and all start single file, 150 ft apart, and with a right rod to shore run counter clockwise ( shore being Bowen, 4 miles away) and the rotation must go no further than a maxiumun of 1.5 miles to the northwest before coming back to the southern tip on the west/south west edge. Again, single file only....

And then there's the sockeye in August .... we'll need to discuss that....

;-)

I suggest we all meet at the southestern most tip of hump each morning and all start single file, 150 ft apart, and with a right rod to shore run counter clockwise ( shore being Bowen, 4 miles away) and the rotation must go no further than a maxiumun of 1.5 miles to the northwest before coming back to the southern tip on the west/south west edge. Again, single file only....

;-)

Lol :D,

Deerjay I'm New to this fishery as well and have fished it a few times lately. My take on it is just cover some water in the general area as these fish are scattered a bit and there is lots of fishable water. Lots of room out there and you shouldn't have to be that close to any other boats in order to hit em. Most of my attention goes to finding the depth they're at on that particular day. My thoughts anyway.

;-)

bahaha love it...just to add to your suggestion peahead, you must disregard all other marine navigational rules/laws (Including boats under sail or tow having right-of-way) ;)

obviously joking people, but seriously the hump is all about covering ground (there is a lot of it) and finding the bait, or migrating schools, I have had luck on the outside of the hump as well 900ft of water.. as mentioned you will find that magic rigger depth for the day. it seems once you find it 90% of the hits will be at that depth, atleast in my experience.

Agreed, one day I put the gear down a few miles off bowen and trolled south for over 8 miles was over half way to thrasher when I hit a triple of teenagers.....you just never know.
I like to find a comfortable direction with tide and wind and just go, and go, and go............

;-)
Greg,
wouldn't it just be easier to all pile on your boat and fish standing single file?:)
and just between you and me the sockeye will be here july 28 ;)

Peahead was kind enough to invite me and my 2 Son's out on Monday in a top secret location of the Hump. ;-)

My 10 year old Son managed to boat a keeper about 8 pounds and the older boy fought one for a bit before loosing it. Had one other knock. It was fairly calm seas and the sun even came out for a bit. All in all a fun day!

We hit both fish on choive between 100 & 110 feet. Tested my new Pesca "Uncle Bob" spoon out for the first time, but no takers. It sure looks good though!

Attachments

• Griffin First Spring of 2014.jpg
    Griffin First Spring of 2014.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 470
Made our glorious return to the salt today after a long winter up in whistler and a couple weeks of boat maintanance. Boat ran great, gaining a few mph from the cut polish and bottom paint. Swapped the panther out for a intellisteer type r and worked great also. Was nasty rough on the way out to prawn, but by the time we pulled and reset the traps it flattened out for a nice troll. Only had one small coho get caught up in the gear though. Fished between 120 and 80. Nasty ride from the hump back to the traps, but the good haul made it all worth it.

Greg,
wouldn't it just be easier to all pile on your boat and fish standing single file?:)
and just between you and me the sockeye will be here july 28 ;)

We could imitate one of the Ukee Puker boats !

Ok the soc comment had me roll'in on the floor but not sure anyone else here will get that one......they're arrival is actually the 29th after lunchtime but I am not explaining how I know that...lol

Cohochinook - it was a fun time, good to have ya. gotta love watching the kids pull'em!

I'm on board for that!! Being a noob I'm down for ALMOST anything.

I like the enthusiasm! And koodos to you for trying to find out proper etiquette!

bahaha love it...just to add to your suggestion peahead, you must disregard all other marine navigational rules/laws (Including boats under sail or tow having right-of-way) ;)

I knew I forgot something !

Back