North Island winter springs

Sitkaspruce

Hi

First post here,

I have recently moved back to the Island but in a different place. Spent most of my life in Sooke, Bamfield and Courtenay, but now live in Port McNeil.

I am looking for some spots to fish for winter springs in the vicinity of Port McNeil/Port Hardy/Quatsino area. I have an 18' Hewescraft with all the bells and whistles so going to the west coast is not a problem, and since I grew up on the west coast, I understand the weather.

Not looking for secret spots, just some general direction would be very much appreciated.

You can PM me if you want

Cheers

SS

Sitkaspruce, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can’t give you a location for up there. Seems to me that the places you go in the summer would be the same places you go in the winter. I would look for their food source and try there. You might try to do a search (top right hand corner) and put in Hardy McNeil Reports. Others may have better info for you. Post if you try, as I would like to hear. Went out a few times last winter (Kitty) and had a blast. GLG

Look no further then your front door. You will see folks casting from the ferry dock area and pick them up. If you troll around the ferry dock, you will do well. Lot's of needlefish hold under the dock.We allways did well trolling a blue/green needlefish hootchie...Joe

Heard of some winter Springs at Ledge Point. Obvs Barnett, Wall, Back of Malcolm are spots for them as well. Most of the usual places.

Back