Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

The attraction to Nootka is; yes the reg changes plus the fact the fishing is great (normally), sheltered water, there is limited access to the internet, no cell phones (one of the last places on earth to enjoy this benefit), and, it’s got great accommodations like Critter Cove. Also, Bajo is as good as it gets in BC if you can get out to it at the right time. The Europeans didn't make it their first point of entry into Canada for nothing. They starting fishing there in 1778. Bet it was pretty spectacular back then.

Just back from first trip to Nootka. Fished 19-22th.Previously fished Prince Rupert & Bella Bella areas so first trip was a learning experience, the terrain the local fish preferences,the facilities etc. Lost one of my two engines to mechanical problems first day so forced to stay inside. Would repeat what Spring Fever said, the bite was usually short but productive. with long periods of nothing. Only springs, very few coho. Anchovies worked also some success with white hoochie. Met an old boy who used anchovy with no flasher, seemed quite happy. Too many mackeral at Camel Rock & southern third of Tashis Inlet.stealing bait. Will be back in August a little wiser. Big Hello to Spring Fever who I saw at Camel Rock.

I'm heading up tomorrow morning. Will be at critter until Saturday. I'll report in, hopefully with pix, when I get home...

To Gordon J-nice to see you-the cut pluggers were doing really well at Camel Rock-I might try an 8-9 inch herring in a teaser head-no flasher-fished slow or may even have to cut plug but it was such a zoo!!! Hope the engine is not too bad.

Just back from first trip to Nootka. Fished 19-22th.Previously fished Prince Rupert & Bella Bella areas so first trip was a learning experience, the terrain the local fish preferences,the facilities etc. Lost one of my two engines to mechanical problems first day so forced to stay inside. Would repeat what Spring Fever said, the bite was usually short but productive. with long periods of nothing. Only springs, very few coho. Anchovies worked also some success with white hoochie. Met an old boy who used anchovy with no flasher, seemed quite happy. Too many mackeral at Camel Rock & southern third of Tashis Inlet.stealing bait. Will be back in August a little wiser. Big Hello to Spring Fever who I saw at Camel Rock.

Saw you over there a couple days last week..at Tashis Inlet and at Camel Rock...We yak a couple time in the early morning...had the Grady 232 with 2 nets... was wondering why the name of your boat was ring a bell..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Out for the last few day and fishing has been slow...but picking up every day. I mostly having been fishing from Hoist Point up the Boundry Line in Tahasis Inlet with some good success if you put in the time...we been getting 3-4 20lbs. to 30 lbs. springs a day on a white hootchie anywhere from 40' to a 100' depending where you and the bait are...Baja Reef is steady if you can get out there..but it has been rough for the last few days.

Fished the 19-22...... Great mack attack for sure & they all need a good wacking....we average 5 -9 springs a day on chovies and spoons at Camel rock,Hoist point, Starange island and Tahasis inlet.... fished outside for a day and loaded up on the white meat and a couple springs...one of my parnters shack off a 70 plus halibut at the boat.. :( over all a good trip except the weather the last 3 days could have been a tad better.... :)

Fished the Sound Fri night, Sat and Sun. The top of the allowable fishery in Tahsis inlet (North East Corner of Strange) was red hot Friday and Saturday, while the traditional hot spots were very quiet; mind you there was hardly anyone fishing them. Camel Rock was hot on Friday as well, but it tapered off considerably over the weekend too. Boats that were not fishing in the inlet were reporting fishing as being slow.One boat at the southern tip of Strange Island on a Saturday morning at 9 a.m. in late July --- are you kidding me!!!!! This is largely because there was an Armada of Gradys and Stripers in the inlet. Many middle fingers and shouting amongst and between the 50 boats all trying to fish the same spot on the North East Side of Strange (The Narrows). By Sat night the fishing slowed considerably. In fact, all four boats in our group found the night bite to be awful and almost non-existant compared to past years. Early paid off though for us, our only two springs on saturday were in the boat by 5:45 in the morning.

I would describe fishing in the inlet on the weekend as hot and the rest of the sound as slow. I also noticed that the Fish in the Tahsis inlet were darker than usual (overall) for the sound this time of year. I would say that fishing in the sound does not appear to be as good as last year; to this point. I hope the regular spots pick up any day.

Our springs were taken between 35 and 45 feet, spoons and hoochies. Picked up a couple bonus Coho as well.

A great time was had....

P.S. consider plugs, it is a bit of a mackeral festival...

Last edited by a moderator:
It was your first trip to Nootka this year. Got to Gold River at about 10 am Friday morning. Busy, busy at the ramp, about a dozen boats waiting to launch and 5 waiting to come out. Get the boat in the water and leave dock and no room to turn boat and end up dinging the prop. Not a good start, make it to the seaplane dock and can see that the prop is F$%cked. Back to the dock and change prop. Lucky for me I have a spare prop and one for the kicker as well. The two other boats in are group did not have any spares, they are now. Stayed at Hoiss Point Lodge. Very nice place and very friendly people. Fishing was slow for us and a lot of other people as well. There was loads of mackerel. Saved a bunch for halibut bait. The weather was wet most of the time, except the day we had to leave. Fished most places mainly the back of Strange Island, Camel point one night,Critter to Hoiss Pt one night, Lighthouse and out and around the corner twice never did get to Bajo Reef weather was just to rough the times we tried to go. All in all a nice trip but the fishing could have been better. Ended up with 3 nice springs and some nice Coho.

The count down is on 24 hours to go, bait is brining, boat is ready(just spent 1200 on a new ecm yesterday) Cant wait!!!!! Watch out Nootka the drazic Boyz are coming. If you see GALE FORCE say hi!

Late I can accept. Not coming...... that would be a real concern.

Fishing was pretty good the first couple days then that low pressure system rolled in ....be interested in seeing what happens now with this new high pressure system that has come in... :)

The fish Gods are getting everything in order so that I may once again be crowned "King of Nootka" ----we arrive for our Derby Aug 1- Aug 5
We stay at Critter Cove --its always good---heated toilet seats for the morning would be good though
Can't wait --the anticipation is building

Well boys I hate to rain on a parade but the 25th of July is more than a little late for this run. I believe we have what we are going to get -so enjoy it. 2008 was a bad year and it follows that this is too. Hope I'm wrong but I've fished Nootka for a lot of years and keep records and I just don't see the fish-inside or outside. I have thought that since the first time I hit Bajo in June. Please let me know if I'm wrong I'll be the first to eat humble pie.

The fish Gods are getting everything in order so that I may once again be crowned "King of Nootka" ----we arrive for our Derby Aug 1- Aug 5
We stay at Critter Cove --its always good---heated toilet seats for the morning would be good though
Can't wait --the anticipation is building

If you want a heated seat.....it can be arranged.....might still be a little stinky.

Back