Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Heading to Nootka on July 6th. Anyone have any Halibut holes they want to share? :)

Hi Folks...heading up to Nootka (for the first time-retirement's great!) July 30-Aug 3, staying at Moutcha Bay. Would appreciate it if someone would share up some spots for lingcod/other groundfish on the inside--thanks!

If anyone cares to pm me with some hali and ling spots, I'd appreciate it.

Another member said they would and didn't. Even after a PM.

Anywhere North and West of Bajo and all the way out to the Highway - Just look for those humps. :)

Thanks for the pm and all the help guys. I love how most members here are so willing to help out.

Hope to see some of you up there at the end of the month.

If anyone cares to pm me with some hali and ling spots, I'd appreciate it.

Another member said they would and didn't. Even after a PM.

Do what most of us have done- pick up a chart and study it. Most people wont just give away the spots theyve worked their butts off to find to some dude on the internet, me included.

Heading to Nootka on July 6th. Anyone have any Halibut holes they want to share? :)
Hey, Im out there on the afternoon of the 7th. Where are you staying? What channel will you be on? Maybe you can follow me out, I can show you a couple of my fav's.

Wow. Thanks fish lifter. I have Charts. Have read them. And have spots both with my own efforts and the help of others on here.

I was only asking for some advice, not your honey hole.

I am mostly a river fisherman and have ALWAYS shared every spot that I have scoped over the last 20 years. I guess I just never understood the BIG SECRET theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry dude, just telling it like it is. Didnt mean to sound like a dick. If I knew you it may be different, but I dont have a clue, never even seen you on this site before.

Do what most of us have done- pick up a chart and study it. Most people wont just give away the spots theyve worked their butts off to find to some dude on the internet, me included.
I fully understand. I've got my chart, so what type of bottom should I look for, seamounts, dropoffs, sandy bottom? A specific depth? Thanks in advance.

Look for pinnicacles or humps-they are great bait holding stations and thus the Hali's hang around them. I don't bother if the water is less than 150 ft in the summer although it can be a great ling hangout!! Doesn't mean there aren't hali there-we all have caught hali shallow while trolling salmon! Look for sand and/or gravel. If drift fishing bait I'm very impatient-if I haven't had a bite within 10 min I move-My crew would laugh at that and say it was closer to 5 min. These so called hali hotspots are overrated. Yes everyone has them but that doesn't mean that there are hali there every time you go. I have lots of co-ords-I start there but I'm real quick to go to another spot I haven't tried in the general area. Nothing beats chart and bottom study-If someone gives you a spot and there is nothing there and you relied on it you're stuck. Abrupt edges are the key whether drop-offs or humps-Charlie was right North and West of Bajo-I'm heading there tomorrow and I will put in an hour or so studying the charts -putting in way-points I think I should try. Perhaps people have caught a hali at these waypoints befoe and Just fish it harder and smarter. Good luck to you and I'm sure if you study the charts you will find your spot. Then don't give it away-it'll be a sure thing next time-at least you'll believe it will.

Yep, and to add to that... "anywhere North and West" and you really don’t need any waypoints for that area!

You can actually catch them right on Bajo. Personally, I would be for at least that 150 feet, concentrating more towards 200 - 300 feet. Look for large rocky bottom area and those piles of rock (humps) and pinnacles. :)

Drop the bait to the bottom, then reel it up 5 feet. The slower the tide the better. Set the drift for deeper water to avoid hanging on bottom. As the tide starts to pick up, keep the boat above the bait by back trolling. When the tide gets above 2 knots and/or taking water over the stern, it would be a good time to start fishing for something else.

You can catch halibut at any depth; however, when a big one is taken from the above type of area another big one will usually move into that same area pretty quickly. And, that is exactly why one fishing an area on a regular basis is NOT giving out their good halibut spot. Once the big one is taken – the big halibut is gone, until another big one moves back into that area.

Halibut are territorial and congregate in the same size group. The big ones chase will the smaller ones off, protecting its feeding area. The bigger ones will also move off from the crowd of smaller ones. Which is also why if you are catching chickens, you usually won’t catch a large one in that specific area (e.g. any of the “chicken ranches”). So, take your pick of areas, as you can either go for a “barn door” or a “chicken” . :)

Anyone fished Bajo in the last few days for salmon? Any turned the corner at the monument?? Should be any day now!! Spring Fever is heading there tomorrow by 3 pm back Fri Pm -will report. CH 6 green and white ORCA

I will heading be out to Nootka from the 21st to the 25th with the old man. We have never been to Nootka before. I just bought a chart for the area and was wondering if there is any decent groundfish on the inside worth looking into? Our boat is a little smaller and we are hesitant to venturing out too far but would love to get some hali's or lings etc...I suspect hali's would be pretty slim on the inside but how far out do you need to go? I appreciate all the info that is being shared. Just trying to be prepared. Can't wait to go! PM me if you wish. Thanks

Halibut are territorial and congregate in the same size group. The big ones chase will the smaller ones off, protecting its feeding area. The bigger ones will also move off from the crowd of smaller ones. Which is also why if you are catching chickens, you usually won’t catch a large one in that specific area (e.g. any of the “chicken ranches”). So, take your pick of areas, as you can either go for a “barn door” or a “chicken” . :)[/QUOTE]
I too have always believed the big halibut are territorial until that is until recently.
This year, we have often caught one 40 pounder after the other, like within 15 minutes of each other
AND last year we got a 100 pound halibut followed 10 minutes later with a 90
So....now I am not so sure???
I would be interested in hearing the experience of others on this subject.

Back