Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

I've only been to nootka once and stayed at critter every night. Is there anywhere
With abdock to moor near friendly cove to save time in the morning. We had the best luck at the lighthouse last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple of different anchors, tons of chain, and miles of rope... Just a lot easier for me t tie off, go to sleep untie in the morning instead of pulling up 200' (7:1) of rope.

Anyone been fishing the area yet....????

Holmes. Never did get those Hali spots from you.

Well If you are so inclined-you only need 100 ft-pm me and I will give you a few safe anchorages -close to fishing

Does anyone know the name of the campground that's fairly close to Camel Rock... I forget the details but its either a short drive or boat ride from Gold River and I think its run by the Muchalaht maybe??

Does anyone know the name of the campground that's fairly close to Camel Rock... I forget the details but its either a short drive or boat ride from Gold River and I think its run by the Muchalaht maybe??

http://www.tutamarina.com/

Stayed there with a group from work about 5-years-ago. We have upgraded to Critter. Don't expect a provincial campground experience. Nice people from what I recall though.

I would be very weary of staying at Tuta. I stayed there a few years ago... Poorly kept place, out house totally full (to the top)!! Sh*t all over the back side of the camp ground. Showers worked but there was mold growing all over the inside of the shower (no power in the showers, lights?). I really hate being all negative but it needs to be said. Would never stay there again.

I swung by there the other day coming down the outside. Maquinna was dead, no bait or anything on the sounder. Went and fished the light. There was some weird thing going on with jellyfish, The sounder was loaded from the surface to 50 feet with clutter and when you looked over the side there was nothing but red jellyfish in sight and the lines were supper slimed all through the tac. Did not try accross the way however.

Brand new to Sportfishing bc and to Nootka Sound. Have a nephew working in Gold River this summer and we hope to come up for a few days of fishing in late July early August. Looks like lodging was booked up weeks ago. I'll sleep in tent if I have to. Should I be sweating bullets over finding a boat to rent for fishing within the sound? I have a 16-foot Jetcraft but was hoping not to have to trailer it all the way up from nearly the California border.
As to gear, I have managed to track down a nice old five-inch Peetz, and when I find the right pole, plan to troll Tomics. If anyone wants to share advice with a total novice from the Beaver State, thanks in advance!
Bill

Bill, don't think that you will be able to find a boat for rent in the Gold River area. It is about a 16nm run from Gold River to the start of the good fishing grounds, ie, Camel Rock area. Best bet for you if you do not have your own boat, is to charter a trip. I know this is not the help you are looking for, but hopefully someone else will jump in here. Good luck,...........BB

Back