Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

here's the proof of the pudding:

IMG-20120727-00096.jpg

Hooked at 150 feet, 30 ft. off the deck in 180

I cleaned a spring from Swale in barkley a few years back and he had a huge mac in em, so I would say yeah as well....

Actually grilled a couple up last weekend...Scary but they tased pretty good..make a great fish taco.....

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. We tried one a couple weeks ago in Nootka sound,found them to be muddy tasting and bland. It could be ok in a taco with all that spice I guess.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. We tried one a couple weeks ago in Nootka sound,found them to be muddy tasting and bland. It could be ok in a taco with all that spice I guess.

Perhaps I forgot to say that I had gutted and cleaned & ice the fish right away..just like tuna.... those little guys need the same TLC as the tuna need... :)

not sure if you had done that

Garmin Echo 550c and fishing

Put the Garmin echo 550c on the boat and went to Nootka for 4 days without testing it ------it worked great --great colour nice clear screen , it showed lots of detail. it has all sorts of features ,one I liked was the night mode ,the screen is darkened with coloured details , makes it easy on the eyes when its dark. A lot of the features I never played with ,that would mean I would have to read the manual---will do that this winter, will give the transponder a tweek to see if it improves on the readings when running. was too busy fishing ,it was a hard 4 days days to get some fish, only got 1 salmon but got lots of ling and snapper and a 25 lb hali. Lots a few good hits due to operator error. Got to make them all count next time. All in all a good trip.

Staying Alive, did you fish the inside at all? Many fish being caught by others? Thanks for the report.

Back from a couple days at Cougar Creek. No one in my party had ever been there before. I can report that Nootka was hot, but the fishing was slow. A few small ones, but better fish were few and far between. We pretty much stuck it out in the inside. Boat didn't really have what one should to go outside. Tried a little for bottom fish, but nadda. Lots of laughs and a few fish made for a good trip. But less than I was expecting from Nootka.

Just back after 6 days at Nootka. Not great results. We fished hard and have little to show for it. Outside was very rough the 3 times we tried to get out to Bajo. This morning things seemed to turn on a bit and we bagged a couple of teenages and lost 1 at the boat. Got all of them at 42 feet on anchovy with a black/silver holder. The water inside was very warm. Lots of Macks still, but, less each day we fished. Weather was very hot and things looked dry around the Sound. Gotta wonder whats causing the delay in fish showing up, or if they're going to. We talked to lots of experienced people who caught zero. Commercial guys were in 2 nights and I don't think that helped anything although I hear that their take was not that good.

Finally ----fishing was just slow,no other way to put it.We fished the mornings out at the Bajo and it was tough out there, not many nets out. Then we would come and do the inside for the afternoon and evening, all the usual spots Camel,three bay,Hois, San Carlos, our best afternoon was at Tahsis we got a couple there.
It,s just slow you don't see the normal thing and get to watch other boats bringing fish in, it,s few and far between. Drink more Lucky that works for me.

Fishing inside still slow compared to years past but still a few being picked up. Went outside, 10miles from the lighthouse for hali but only ended up with a large red snapper but the water was unbelievable ............like it usually is when we leave............you could almost shoot pool on it today. Have the morning tomorrow and we'll be out of here until next year.
Leaving with 6 springs, 2 coho, 5 ling, 12 rock fish & 3 hali..................and anything else we pick up tomorrow morning. We did release a number of legal springs & coho........want them to grow up for next year.

One of Moutcha Bay's guide boat came in from the hwy loaded with springs, coho & ling this afternoon..........someone said around 20 fish and one or two around the tyee mark.

OK so this is my firt post after lurking here for a few years...normally a month before our annual trip to Critter Cove. I fished Nootka from 13 to 17 with my family and continued on from 17th to 20th with friends after my family went home. On the 13th went out to 3 bay by myself and had 5 strikes in 2 hours from 6.30 to 8.30, lost 3 released a dark 8-9 pounder and kept a 29 pounder. Caught on glow white needlefish hoochies and coho killers (mother of pearl). Camel rock was too busy for me as I was running gear and boat by myself. I took my wife and family out later in the day, none of which have salmon fished before and we tryed hoiss and strange island lost a couple. My wife was distraught. Next day we all were on the water by 5.30. Heading for friendly cove, kids not really awake and up in the cuddy cabin trying to sleep as I poked my nose around the corner and Charlie my son was not happy to be levitating as we went over some rollers....'family meeting' followed and we turned and headed for burdwood where we released a nice wild coho (my 10 year old daughters first fish...why do we have to release it dad?). Proceeded to then catch 30 mackeral at burdwood and cause my 8 year old to feel sick from the moderate swell that was rolling in. Off to camel rock for another 20 mackeral and a few other places same result. trolling to Critter caught the 51st Mackeral and wifey mutters that this is all we can catch on this trip and that they must have brought bad luck...I said you didn't bring a banana on bourd this morning did you...weird look comes over her face...'Wht didnt you tell me that is not allowed?" Gave us an excuse for the tough day.
15th we didn't fish too hard but got one or two.
There were 2 commercial openings with perhaps 30 commy boats moored between Critter and Conuma river. Heard on 78 that they got 8700 pieces (chinook) and a handfull of chum DFO said that was about 30% of the Conuma run and as the sport fishery had dropped off recently that was likley the end of their fishing. We did not fish the wall; hisnit Argonaught etc due to the gill netters cleaning this out.
16th we picked up 3 springs, wife limited out and 1 for the kids...now they were finally keen to get up early and fish so while wifey luxuriated at Critter on the morning of the 17th me and 2 novice helpers set off for 3 bay again where there were not too many boats. Fishing was hot from 6.15 to 8am using glow needlfish hoochies behind glow flashers. we had 3 rods out and 2 double headers. Sorry to the boat that had to dodge us (we were in a blue and white starcraft islander 191v) as my daughter left the wheel to grab the rod from my 8 year old who was upset that the reel had smashed his knuckles. We ended up the a 30.5 and 7 in the net at the same time! Rods strewn all over the place, with each rod cunningly tangled with the net, then again with each other, someones foot, a half open tackle box and a waywood sleeping bag and the fish slapping around to mix things up a little more....good times. Same morning we hooked into a 25? that we had to the boat 3 times but by the time I had missed netting it twice (boat dead in the water as we had no driver, fish under the boat and around the kicker,... panic, loud firm instructions by the skipper misconstrued as angry shouting, we managed to break it off on the 3rd attempt at netting. It must have looked comical from the other boats. The Tyee was on a purple haze flasher and purple silver coho killer. Had no luck the cop car. Also picked up a fish on grand slam bucktail glow needlefish green/white. Bought one of those gimmicky led flashing hoochies and did get a couple of hits on that also. The fish were darker than I remember them being the last couple of years, but some nice chrome springs coming in from Hoiss pt.

17th headed for Gold river and dropped off my family, Kids and wife ended up with 3 fish each.

Picked up a couple of hard core fisherbuddies. Unloaded gear at Critter and then headed out for 3 bay, san carlos and the island just out from san carlos, picked up a couple springs around the island on large pilchard spoons (tomic), tried hoiss etc as well.

18th headed for bajo and the sea was really flat, we didn't pick up much, fairly slow.
19th decided to do a tour so headed up tahsis? inlet and into Esperanza, saw a flotilla of 30 sea otters and whales everywhere inside and outside. Straight out to the highway as the sea was glassy again. got into a lot of fish, mostly coho with about 1/3 - 1/4 being hatchery fish. Also got 3 smaller springs and had a triple headed at which was a first. The grand slam bucktails in needlefish pattern green/white and blue/white with a little 1/4" by 2" slice of anchovie trailing off the front hook, 39" leader to the flasher was our best set-up outside.

From the highway we motored past bajo for nootka sound, saw a couple of large sun fish wallowing on the surface which was cool.

Blundered onto some gravel/sand bottom on the way home and picked up a couple halibut one was 25lb) on salmon bellies in 200 feet of water.

20th we went bottom fishing and caught half a lug-a-loo full of mackeral at critter cove in the morning before going out. Went out past Bajo again and tried for halibut but no luck, got a few bottom fish. Later we picked up 3 halibut drifting around aimlessly, one being 47 lb, mostly on whole mackeral with their sides and belly sliced open to let out the juicy goodness.

21st clean up and go. Thanks to the Critter Cove team for looking after us so well.

Cheers

Wondermur

Thanks for the report. Had a chuckle about the "loud firm instructions by the skipper misconstrued as angry shouting". haha

Any word on the derby at cougar creek..?

I guess that's it for this year. Thanks to everyone that helped out with real reports, advice, respect and friendship.

0nly 320 sleeps til I launch for Critter Cove 2013.

Unfortunately, thats it. Too bad as I have to believe there is a Sept coho fishery up there. Seems like nobody reports on it though....

Back