Nootka Sound - Spring and Summer 2012

Not to worry guys.... They are coming soon to some sound near you. Must be the full moon.... :) The sockeye are on their way to Barkley Sound and the Fraser as well.. Joking aside I was told the fish push into Nootka Sound following the full moon by a ex-com fisherman. Worked for me for years just not this year.

Fish always seem to come in after a good rain, in Nootka Sound. Some of my best fishing there has been in the first rain after
a long dry period. It doesn't seem to take them long to move inside. ............BB

heading there on Sunday, will report back. High expectations although a Northwest Gale warning. Im expecting it will be calm in the morning... to the reef!

Just back and can confirm slow.......
Outside might be your best spot if you can get there (wind).
3bay gave up a few for us as well a hoiss.
Nothing over 15 lbs......
GLG

I'm headed up on Sunday for a week. Hopefully things will turn next week. I fished Sooke last weekend and it too was way slower than normal at this time of year. We'll just have to put in the time. I was there in 08 and although it was slow, we found fish. I've got plenty of time. Will try Bajo a few days as well. Will report upon return.

Good Luck-awaiting your report and have a good time!! A good fisherman will always catch fish if you do all the right things, fish hard and put in the time!!

Arrived Aug. 4 at Moutcha Bay Resort, and two days later the wifi went out back on late last night. It has been SLOW and I mean SLOW, you really have to work at it. The day we decided to head off shore the inside was hot around Camel & area. The next day we tried Strange, San Carlos, Camel & the wall................not even a hit, that evening we went back to the wall and the wife picked up a 21lb spring and that was it. Outside ......the can & reef have been good if you don't mind the wind.

Tally so far is 6 real good size rock cod, 2 ling cod 2 chickens & 2 springs.............not much for 380 miles on the boat in 6 days

Some people seem to be in the right place at the right time, others, like us are not, it really has been a hit & miss.

The can has been good for hali fishing, a friend staying at Tuta with a couple boats have a 95, 65, and a few in the 30 to 40lb range
Gillnetters had two openings since they said there were around 50 boats and only 3000 fish taken in the first opening, they had a second but haven't heard how many were taken.

Never had to work this hard at salmon fishing in Nootka before...................will keep you posted as to how we make out

back from a slow trip in nootka. fished all the usual inside spots. argonaught was the better spot for us in the afternoon.caught a 32 and a couple 18s. coyotee spoons. all in all brought home 5 fish for 3 days work, and we had to put in lots of time!
commies were fishing on tues wedsday nites. acommodations and the food was great at critter!!

Anyone go onto any of the beaches and watch the macks chasing the fry on to the beaches and killing them? Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Oh this will be how the DFO explains the disappearance of our wild salmon. I got it now......

You don't have to go into the beaches to see hundred's of macks........all you have to do is go to Moutcha Bay Resort's dock and you wouldn't believe the swarm swimming around with no fry, dog fish or seals like there usually is.

Tried Hisnet this afternoon and yes Argonaught was the place to be, picked up one 13lb and lost another two, saw 2 more fish taken and a friend's wife landed a 18lb, they were using anchovies at 60' and we were using hoochies at 42 & 65'...........picking them off very slowly but all it takes is time

Just got back thought i'd post a quick one since I haven't chimed in yet this year. Fished all of Saturday and until 10am today. Between 2 of us we had no problem taking our limit home. Saturday we were limited by 9am,the bite seemed to be a bit later in the morning than usual, but this seems to be pretty standard for this year. Same thing this morning lots of action. Had a bad string of luck for about 6 fish before we could get somthing in the boat including one real screamer that got long released but we did manage our 4. Biggest for us was a beauty 25 chromer with the rest being between 12 and 20ish, all fish were near the Wall. Hootchies were the ticket for us with the standards proving fruitful, also the Macks seemed to leave them alone. Tonnes of commies rolling in the past couple of days, i'm not sure when the opening is but it must be soon.

Cheers

Im headed back up tomorrow, reports from the lodge www.hoisspoint.com are fish still regularly coming in the cleaning stations, with most fish being caught in the mornings and tide changes. Don't forget the derby at Cougar Creek 18th and the 19th.

Just back from Nootka on Aug 10. Most large fish are being caught on the outside and smaller on the inside. Our party also caught some big hali's at bajo (91 and 93lbs). Most of our fishing inside was at San Carlo to Beercan Bay...while usual green teaser heads work working so were green splatterback heads and green or gr/white splatterback hootchies. Caught several evening fish on green Ace High's as well.

Lots of boats out prior to the BC holiday but surprisingly few the following week.
Wet Spot

Anyone go onto any of the beaches and watch the macks chasing the fry on to the beaches and killing them? Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Oh this will be how the DFO explains the disappearance of our wild salmon. I got it now......

I was staying at a cabin with a bay on Bligh island three weeks ago. We were feeding immature salmon with fish entrails. A day later a pack of mackerel came in and cleaned them right out. There wasn't one fry left in the entire bay.

Regs say you can bonk 100 Mack's a day.

Imagine if everyone "limited" on halibut bait macks.....??

Actually grilled a couple up last weekend...Scary but they tased pretty good..make a great fish taco.....

Anybody try a small Mack in a larger teaser head, or cut plug while trolling for salmon? Didnt someone say they cleaned some springs stuffed with them? DAJ

Back