Nog's Needle - The Good News

Give us a report buddy :). Between two boats fishing it this past weekend we caught a small spring and a nice coho. The other boat had a reel ripper on for a minute or two but never got to see it. The spring was caught on a hand painted limited early edition model (thanks Gary lol).

hey, I thought you said you lost that one... LOL

Heading to Bamfield on the 25th will give the gold and silver versions a good testing. I am starting to wonder if I need a forklift for all the tackle I have!!

Give us a report buddy :). Between two boats fishing it this past weekend we caught a small spring and a nice coho. The other boat had a reel ripper on for a minute or two but never got to see it. The spring was caught on a hand painted limited early edition model (thanks Gary lol).

Here you go, Johnny. If Matt wasn't a buddy i'd ask for an endorsement fee ;)

Was fishing the chrome one below a dummy flasher about 30 ft above bottom and it outfished my bait rod 20 ft shallower by a couple of Chinooks.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 511
Here you go, Johnny. If Matt wasn't a buddy i'd ask for an endorsement fee ;)

Was fishing the chrome one below a dummy flasher about 30 ft above bottom and it outfished my bait rod 20 ft shallower by a couple of Chinooks.

You are fishing the needle BELOW the dummy?? I have been fishing the dummy below the needle.. Maybe I have been doing it wrong!!

I'm starting to wonder who the "dummys" are now.

I clip a dummy flasher on the cable above the release attached to my cannonball.
Need me to draw a diagram?

I'm starting to wonder who the "dummys" are now.

I clip a dummy flasher on the cable above the release attached to my cannonball.
Need me to draw a diagram?

Ha Ha Good comment! It is obvious how you do it but was more wondering on how effective it is compared to running flasher on bottom? Seems flasher on top would have to remove flasher each time rigger was brought up to reattach lure line?? That could be a lot of re clipping flasher line over the day with false trips, fish on and sea trash. Worth the trouble if is more effective than flasher on bottom...

By "dummy" flasher are you referring to a "Hotspot"-type flasher or a triangular inline-type?

Was trying to visualize your setup in my mind...

Lure is on the bottom so mainline passes by the dummy which is farther up....

In ideal conditions it would be ok........but if you lower your gear down like I do (which is fast) there could be issues if it was a Hotspot -type flasher.....

Just a little leery of that mainline being strung lower than the dummy is all.....

Although obviously it works because you are using it........

When I'm down 200ft there's quite a bit of bow in the main , even with the line cinched up as good as can get it........

Hi guys! I have been fishin the needle a lot lately and been having a lot of success. But thought was losing a few more fish at the initial strike then would consider normal. When looking at all 6 of the spoons I rece'd, noticed that the hook was facing the opposite way then I had always put my hooks on spoons( point towards hollow ) The nog is S shaped so does have a hollow each side. Easy enough to change just wondering how others have received theirs and if think changing would affect hook ups??

IMG_0654.jpg

Hi guys! I have been fishin the needle a lot lately and been having a lot of success. But thought was losing a few more fish at the initial strike then would consider normal. When looking at all 6 of the spoons I rece'd, noticed that the hook was facing the opposite way then I had always put my hooks on spoons( point towards hollow ) The nog is S shaped so does have a hollow each side. Easy enough to change just wondering how others have received theirs and if think changing would affect hook ups??

View attachment 13532

I dont know how these spoons are set up normally, but I'd think the hook would be better if flipped to point up in this photo. Are you sure all are rigged this way?

I dont know how these spoons are set up normally, but I'd think the hook would be better if flipped to point up in this photo. Are you sure all are rigged this way?

All 6 needles I received , 3 gold & 3 silver, are rigged exactly the same way. Would guess they were done by same person at point of manufacture. Are yours done same or reverse hook??

Yes, i use oki flashers. I like to use the flasher on a commercial clip above the lure so the fish sees it as it approaches the flasher

I also received my 6 nogs, and have the orientation of the hook and blade the same as questioned above. I noted the photo of the spoon Nog provided had a different orientation per post #9 of this thread

DAJ

Back