"No Power" Fishing Zones ("Tyee Pool" Style)?

I see there’s a lot of you who think that sport fishermen don’t need to do anything and that OTHERS should… “go to where the problem is”! There is no question that if the fish stocks are to be brought back to levels that can be considered healthy and strong, there are things OTHER than Sport Fishing in the system that need to be addressed:

A) Commercial fishing pressure – and especially HOW it is presently being managed by the DFO – is URGENTLY in need of a complete overhaul! [xx(]

B) The destruction of river beds and spawning grounds by human development. We cannot just look at the ocean if we want to save the salmon! [xx(]

C) Fish Farms! The short-sightedness (even for the farm owners) of this ridiculous “industry” borders on stupidity! Ask the Norwegians! They started it… are now dependant on it for producing sub-standard Atlantic salmon meat… and have regretted it ever since! Why the hell our government is permitting the same thing on our coast is beyond me!? [xx(]

Then there’s Sport Fishing! The impact of sport fishing on the declining fish stocks is no doubt debatable. But reading pages 43–45 in “Dead Fish and Fat Cats” will help you realize that the debate is by no means a slam-dunk in our favour – especially if you take into account BOTH tidal and fresh water sport fishing! Read it! It’s an eye-opener! [:0]

Here’s the crux: all these things need attention and all of them are claiming – individually – that “we are not the cause in the decline of our stocks”. Sorry “Walleye”… it makes no sense that sport fishermen too should jump onto that dead-end wagon – it is not in our interest to say such things because it leads NOWHERE!

You may think that “we are not the problem”… or even part of the problem… even a little… but you must still see that the problem is OURS to grapple with because it has such a big impact on our “sport”! Even if we are not individually responsible for the present dismal situation, it is inconceivable to think that we should not be part of the solution! And if we want to be part of positive change, then we have to be prepared to make consessions!

You may not like what you call “special interest groups”, (I’m not that interested in “politics” myself) but whether we like it or not, we live in a democracy, and the only way to change is democratic political pressure! When you take into account all the above mentioned “interest groups” it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that although sport fishermen may be the least vocal, we are BY FAR THE GREATEST IN NUMBERS! Does that not tell you something about our potential “power”?

Oppi

i think they should ban the guys fishing the river up by Chilliwack ,Aggasiz and Hope they slaughter them up there , hundreds of guys all over , they go back way more often than i go out dragging in the ocean.We boat people spend way more money chasing fish than the river people..once they make it back to the river leave them alone . sorry river guys buck up and buy a boat or hang up your rods..

quote:Originally posted by staying alive

i think they should ban the guys fishing the river up by Chilliwack ,Aggasiz and Hope they slaughter them up there , hundreds of guys all over , they go back way more often than i go out dragging in the ocean.We boat people spend way more money chasing fish than the river people..once they make it back to the river leave them alone . sorry river guys buck up and buy a boat or hang up your rods..

I have no problems with river fishing as long as its done ethically. The problem is there way more abuse that goes on in the rivers than in the ocean. The smart guy with many thousands of dollars invested in his boat and gear usually will not risk the possibility of boat or gear confiscation for abusing the regs. A guy fishing the river with his old beat up gear really doesn't have much to lose if he abuses the regs. That's one reason why you see far more abuses on the rivers. I also think you get a lot less experienced group of anglers on the rivers. Many are just starting out fishing, so who do they learn from? The other clueless bozos, they are teaching a new generation to use unethical fishing methods, ignore size, species, and retention limits. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back