NMEA 2000 connection in new vhf

abbyfireguy

Installing the new Link 8 radio. It has a Nmea2000 port . Will that be the only connection between the radio and Lowrance HDS unit? Will the Nmea2000 cable from the radio down to the backbone(I have a drop down cable and another "T" fitting) be all that is required to get GPS positioning and AIS data back and forth between the radio and HDS unit?

from the instructions that is what it looks like, nice simple install nmea 2000, power, ground,antena

Installing the new Link 8 radio. It has a Nmea2000 port . Will that be the only connection between the radio and Lowrance HDS unit? Will the Nmea2000 cable from the radio down to the backbone(I have a drop down cable and another "T" fitting) be all that is required to get GPS positioning and AIS data back and forth between the radio and HDS unit?
Hi AFG, I have same radio and Lowrance HDS-8 and the answer is YES. Works great no need for any other wiring other than coax to your antenna and power.

Went pretty smooth except I had the wrong tee! Took the point one line off and ran with the internal antennae for GPS . Worked fine. Will pick up a proper tee and get the point one hooked back up...
I was just too darn hot to do this today... Time to rehydrate tonight !
Thanks for the help Dave.

Back