NITNAT RIVER

I'm glad you took the "schooling" so well there Hoot.

No disrespect as it seems you do genuinely care.

Another thing to remember when holding those mature fish up for pictures. ( especially the big ones ) If you merely hold the fish by it's caudal wrist while allowing the head to hang (while you unhook it), you will hear a very unpleasant popping sound. This is called spinal separation. It's ugly. Those big ripe fish are breaking down and the muscle fibre that once supported the skeletal structure is no longer able to do it's job and protect the ridgidity of the fish. Like Kelly said, cradle the fish just behind the pectoral fins ahead of the belly ( full of eggs ) and with a firm grip in the wrist. Best to allow the water to partially absorb the weight of the fish as well by holding it with it's belly still in the water.
I know many guys that still claim that they will carefully hold the fish by it's gill plate without doing any harm. What the experts neglect to tell you is that it's not only touching the gill filaments that is dangerous for the fish, but the sheer weight of the fish will damage the carotid artery by basically ripping it. The fish will die of internal bleeding even if you do not see visible ripping. ( the damage happens where the underside of the fish comes to a point between the gills just back of the lower jaw) This tears very easily under the weight of a mature fish.

One last thing for all avid river goers....... watch where you wade. You are likley tromping on freshly seeded gravel. Millions of eggs will get destroyed if you are not careful.

Well thats about it for now.

Hootey keep those things in mind and we would of course love to see some good quality pictures in the future.

Hope this helps and reminds all of us who toss gear on the flow.

HL:)

I'm glad you took the "schooling" so well there Hoot.

No disrespect as it seems you do genuinely care.

Another thing to remember when holding those mature fish up for pictures. ( especially the big ones ) If you merely hold the fish by it's caudal wrist while allowing the head to hang (while you unhook it), you will hear a very unpleasant popping sound. This is called spinal separation. It's ugly. Those big ripe fish are breaking down and the muscle fibre that once supported the skeletal structure is no longer able to do it's job and protect the ridgidity of the fish. Like Kelly said, cradle the fish just behind the pectoral fins ahead of the belly ( full of eggs ) and with a firm grip in the wrist. Best to allow the water to partially absorb the weight of the fish as well by holding it with it's belly still in the water.
I know many guys that still claim that they will carefully hold the fish by it's gill plate without doing any harm. What the experts neglect to tell you is that it's not only touching the gill filaments that is dangerous for the fish, but the sheer weight of the fish will damage the carotid artery by basically ripping it. The fish will die of internal bleeding even if you do not see visible ripping. ( the damage happens where the underside of the fish comes to a point between the gills just back of the lower jaw) This tears very easily under the weight of a mature fish.

One last thing for all avid river goers....... watch where you wade. You are likley tromping on freshly seeded gravel. Millions of eggs will get destroyed if you are not careful.

Well thats about it for now.

Hootey keep those things in mind and we would of course love to see some good quality pictures in the future.

Hope this helps and reminds all of us who toss gear on the flow.

HL:)

Very much apreciated information the more the better as I want to enjoy the Islands fruits for as long as I can still get out and enjoy the priveledge of fishing ...:D...and not harm the fish[^]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Very much apreciated information the more the better as I want to enjoy the Islands fruits for as long as I can still get out and enjoy the priveledge of fishing ...:D...and not harm the fish[^]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Good post highlights. Most people dont realize how easy it really is to damage a fish while handling it. Good on ya for taking peoples advice the way you did Hootey.

Good post highlights. Most people dont realize how easy it really is to damage a fish while handling it. Good on ya for taking peoples advice the way you did Hootey.

Hey HOOTEY, [^][^][^] SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Yeah starting to get a little confusing with the posts dissapearing then reappearing.

I guess the concensus is pretty clear that a fellow like Hootey comes along with fish handling skills that need some obvious tweeking. A bunch of forum members quickly put forth their two cents. Hootey takes the critisizm very well. We are all convinced by his response to our posts that he will genuinley adapt to new kinder methods of catch and release.

I beleive Hootey's intentions are that of a keen angler who only wants to learn, and for that we are giving him the friendly nod.

I guess that pretty much sums it up.

Highlites, I was trying to put up a recent picture of a fresh CHUM caught on the Nitnat,,i put the wrong fish up caught earlier befor I was schooled on Proper Fish Handling...am learning how to play with this computer too....[:I]

P1010180.jpg

thanks guys,,,proper fish handling...fresh Nitnat CHUM

That's better Hooty, if I ever run into ya, I won't hesitate to throw a hint your way-dirty;)

Hootey....you look kinda wet...

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

The chest waders I bought at Gords's---LAKE COWICHAN FLY AND TAKLE--are a gods send the only thing that got wet was the hoody, but I did loose 2 boxes of takle,so now I have to head back up to see Gord to get a Vest....lol,,,never said I was smart....just an old rookie learning as I go....[^]

Good work Hootey. You are setting a good example, not everybody is an expert off the start and some do not have the advantage of being started right by parent mentoring.
You have the makings of a fine sportsman and you would be welcome on my boat any day.:D
It is called fishing not catching.

IMG_1445.jpg

Much appreciated Gunsmith!!!![^]

Back