Newer Verado 4-Stroke Engines

Falcon

Anyone out there running a newer Verado with any pros or cons on them? Always ran Yamaha's but interested in these, for some reason :)

I have a pair of 2017 V300's on my 315 Conquest and a pair of 2015 V225s on my Grady 282.

I had 2016 V350s on a 2016 Conquest 315 and 2008 V300s on a Fountain 33SFC before.

I have a pair of F300's on my NorthRiver for comparison purposes.

I prefer the Verados. Smoother, nicer sound, more service locations for me.

Downside is if you get the Advanced Midsection with the Mercury power steering and want to run a kicker for trolling, the charge output of the kicker won't keep up with the current draw of the Merc power steering. I just troll the mains for the Verado powered boats.

Some guys who want to troll off the kicker all day are rigging with SeaStar instead of Merc steering. Merc doesn't recommend it because they want to sell their power steering. It is however doable with success.

SeaStar power steering only draws current when the wheel is turned. Merc power steering draws current the entire time it's on as the circuit is continuous pumping fluid through the circuit regardless of if the wheel is turned. The wheel is just a check valve in a way that lets the fluid move to the direction when the wheel is moving.

Are you kicker fishing all day long? If so order the Conventional mid section with conventional rams and helm cylinder.

6-10 month wait for new normally aspirated Verados currently. Probably not a wait for any remaining new-old-stock I6 supercharged Verados.

What is your current power and current rigging? If your current rigging is compatible with some new power you'll save a lot of money in parts and labour by staying with that brand power.

Last edited:
buddy had the electric steering glitch out 4 times while offshore. try and recalibrate that at night in 2 meter seas. the steering is a liability imho.

I have a pair of 2017 V300's on my 315 Conquest and a pair of 2015 V225s on my Grady 282.

I had 2016 V350s on a 2016 Conquest 315 and 2008 V300s on a Fountain 33SFC before.

I have a pair of F300's on my NorthRiver for comparison purposes.

I prefer the Verados. Smoother, nicer sound, more service locations for me.

Downside is if you get the Advanced Midsection with the Mercury power steering and want to run a kicker for trolling, the charge output of the kicker won't keep up with the current draw of the Merc power steering. I just troll the mains for the Verado powered boats.

Some guys who want to troll off the kicker all day are rigging with SeaStar instead of Merc steering. Merc doesn't recommend it because they want to sell their power steering. It is however doable with success.

SeaStar power steering only draws current when the wheel is turned. Merc power steering draws current the entire time it's on as the circuit is continuous pumping fluid through the circuit regardless of if the wheel is turned. The wheel is just a check valve in a way that lets the fluid move to the direction when the wheel is moving.

Are you kicker fishing all day long? If so order the Conventional mid section with conventional rams and helm cylinder.

6-10 month wait for new normally aspirated Verados currently. Probably not a wait for any remaining new-old-stock I6 supercharged Verados.

What is your current power and current rigging? If your current rigging is compatible with some new power you'll save a lot of money in parts and labour by staying with that brand power.
Great information, thanks for that! I sold my 21' Thunder Jet Chinook last spring with a 225HP Yammy on the back and a highthrust 8HP kicker, great engine's but I just thought if I order a new boat I might try the Verado's.

Last edited:
Great information, thanks for that! I sold my 21' Thunder Jet Chinook last spring with a 225HP Yammy on the back and a highthrust 8HP kicker, great engine's but I just thought if I order a new boat I might try the Verado's.
How did you find the Thunder jet in rough water? With the 225 it must have been very fast

How did you find the Thunder jet in rough water? With the 225 it must have been very fast
It was an awesome inshore fishing boat, it had the bulkhead so you could get out of the weather which made it useable all year long. Now after looking at the price of newer boats I wish I'd have kept it :(

The downside of it was, it did pound in the chop, they're not meant to handle rough water, and yes, it flew!! 50 mph WOT on flat water.

Back