New Vancouver Salt Thread: GAME ON!

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I forgot to mention that I saw a couple of dolphins at the bell for the first time, little ones. [8D]

Good indicator of bait supply... This is GOOD. :)

Mr. D!!!!!!!! How are you?

Yes, and there was lots of bait that day.

Sunday I'm free to go out if the weather helps.

quote:Originally posted by Dan The Man

Nothing for me today, saw those dolphins this morning.

I was in a small pack of charter boats (6) located not too far from Vancouver and the action was pretty hot for a while there. We picked up 2 fish at 12 and 10 lbs and lost another although we were late to the bite--about an hour after it started. Most boats boated a couple. I personally saw at least 10 fish boated and heard from other boats that there were plenty to go around before hand. All the fish I heard of were between 9 to 13 lbs. At one point 3 boats were hooked up and for about 2 hours there the "bite" was on. Ran into one of the guys later at the dock and there were a couple of larger fish were lost in there as well...one which was in the high teens.

Today was definitely a day for the diary and one for the memory :Das it was exciting fishing in a pack of boats where everyone was hooking up and you just had to wait for your "turn".

[8D]

Anchovies at 125 feet and Coyote Spoons to 65 feet were definitely working well!

You didn't say exactly where? :)

Ah...you noticed I left that one little detail out did you? [}:)]

Well..there were 14 boats there by 1230 pm.....boats returning from points "WEST" stopped in to see what the commotion was about.

Red Monster, it was about 2 miles from one of the most infamous fishing spots around Vancouver. That leaves 3 places for consideration. People consider the closest landmark to this area as a "has been". That should cover it. I won't post the name of it..but I'm sure you can figure it out. After all, I'm sure it won't be too hard to find tomorrow..I'll be there...as will a bunch of other boats which experienced the catching today...

:D

I finally got out today. It was a great day on the water. I caught one red spring off sunset marina, North of Horseshoe bay Approx 20 lbs.
140 feet with a green hootchie.
Adipose fin is missing, anyone know where to drop head off in Burnaby area?

Joe

april26fishing016.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Mortician

You didn't say exactly where? :)

Ah...you noticed I left that one little detail out did you? [}:)]

Well..there were 14 boats there by 1230 pm.....boats returning from points "WEST" stopped in to see what the commotion was about.

Red Monster, it was about 2 miles from one of the most infamous fishing spots around Vancouver. That leaves 3 places for consideration. People consider the closest landmark to this area as a "has been". That should cover it. I won't post the name of it..but I'm sure you can figure it out. After all, I'm sure it won't be too hard to find tomorrow..I'll be there...as will a bunch of other boats which experienced the catching today...

:D

Got out again today. Finished off with just one fish as we left the 'chovies at home...GRRRR. As yesterday, there was some PRETTY HOT action where BAIT was the ticket. Anchovies were doing well. As well as Blue/Gold Hootchies, White Hootchies, Spackleback Hootchies, Glo/Flo, Army Truck, Salmon Cruiser and Glo Kitchen Sink Coyote Spoons.

Best depths were 80 to 100 feet. About 15 boats working the area off South Bowen and most boats had there shot at 2 or more keepers. This was a consistent morning of fishing with the bite lasting a good 2 hours. At one point, for the first boats who got on them, it was literally NON STOP action with very few undersize in the mix. According to the radio, the smallest fish started at 9 lbs and the biggest was 19 lbs.

Hmmm..sucks I have to go back to work tomorrow... DAMN!!!!!!
[B)]

I am going out on tuesday its nice to hear the fish at south of bowen have arived,its been about ten years since I fished this run but the last time I did I had good action on almost every trip out,I am going to have one more kick at hte prawns to I went out on sunday with my wife and kids for about two hours at hole in the wall,and the little bay next to horshoe bay with no luck ,if I dont get some this time Ill buy at hte fish market at the end of the week

Yep, I was there today too.

We landend two keepers, lost one after a couple of minutes, and lost one right at the boat (rookie netter [:0]). All on spoons. The bait didn't seem that hot for some reason. Dialed in at 65 feet.

Great day to be fishing. [8D] Hope to get out again next weekend.

Hey Farny, I'll be out Tuesday AM as well. Lets just hope the bite's still on... How far off Bowen? By the slash/ hump or closer in? Driving along the upper levels today I tried to see where the boats were but couldn't see a thing. My wife kept yelling at me to watch the road! :D I'll monitor 88A.

I am going to guess not far off bowen but I am not sure Ill find out then ,I sure hope its nice out tuesday if it aint Ill go wednsday forsure,

quote:Originally posted by farny

I am going to guess not far off bowen but I am not sure Ill find out then ,I sure hope its nice out tuesday if it aint Ill go wednsday forsure,

Farny, the action I have been talking about has all been within 3 miles of Bowen.

Spoke to a friend who played hooky from work today (Monday) to partake in the "action" as it were. He boated 1 14lb hatchery, lost another which broke the hook off his Coyote Spoon. He said he saw 6 other fish landed between 4 boats. A guy on the radio was talking about a 17 pounder he caught. He reported seeing lots of bait, patches of birds and of course, seals.

Sounds pretty good to me!

Hope the fishing stays turned on until next weekend as it's looking good!

Heck, the last few days are giving awesome quality and WCVI quantity in Vancouver waters. [:p]

Anyone who isn't enjoying this fishery is missing out. [:p]

From my observation, many are not partaking in the fishery this year. Wonder if the $1.30/litre for regular is taking it's toll?
[?]

THE TIME IS NOW!!!!!!
The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: May 1st/2008.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

We have had some big changes in our local saltwater Chinook fishery during the past week or so!

The past week saw some really good things finally happen this spring. To begin with, last Thursday a couple of us were scouting out the upper part of Howe Sound, and we found out that those large early fish were already holding up in the Porteau Cove and Defence Island areas. Unfortunately we found them late in the morning and a very brisk southerly inflow wind made the fishing conditions quite difficult. Between the two of our boats we only boated three of these early Squamish maturing fish (10 to 35 lbs, and a 50/50 mix of reds and whites), but lost another 7 or 8 of them due to the extremely difficult fishing conditions. Most of this action was within the first hour we arrived......really too bad that we never hit there until after 10:00.

I went back early on Friday morning in excellent conditions, but overnight a herd of at least 2 dozen seals moved into the area, and were causing a real problem for us......dispersing the fish by chasing them all over the place. Needless to say, there wasn't much action that day, but a buddy went back on Saturday, and that large herd of seals had left the area.....and he got his fish that morning. I guess it was just my bad luck that those nasty critters were there on Friday. I have been back again since the weekend, but that first wave of fish has definitely left the area (or at least most of them have). I'm hoping to see another bunch arrive within the next week or so, but only tme will tell if that actually occurs.

In addition to the "upper Sound", the South Bowen fishery picked up significantly on the weekend! While I was having a weekend at home (as I will be doing every other weekend this year), several buddies found some great action off Bowen Island in excellent conditions. The good results began on Saturday, and they got even better on Sunday. A report from one friend mentioned that his day started slow, but upon moving a couple miles to a location where another buddy was fishing, he was into a double header right away. He ended the day boating 8 legal fish, and losing several others!!! Several of the fish taken were "in the teens", but most at the typical 8 to 12 lb fish we see at this time of year.

While fishing off South Bowen will garner the most effort over the next few weeks, we do have options within Howe Sound just in case the weather (wind) doesn't cooperate. In fact, I'd suspect there will be a few days where the activity within Howe Sound will approach or even surpass last weekend's action off Bowen. All in all, it looks as if NOW is the time to get out on the water for what could end up being some of the most active local Chinook fishing of the year!

I have finished working in the marina; therefore, my schedule is fairly open other than I am unavailable every other weekend as I previously mentioned. At the present time, I am available on the following days through the next couple weeks or so: Fri. May 2nd (am, pm) Sat. May 3rd (pm), Sun. May 4th (am, pm) Mon. May 5th (pm), Tues. May 6th (am, pm), Wed. May 7th (am), Thurs. May. 8th (am, pm), Sun. May 11th, (am, pm), Mon. May 12th (am, pm), Tues. May 13th (am, pm), Thurs. May 15th (am, pm).

The winner of the final draw prize for a free 5 hour charter (anyone on this e-mail list who did a charter between November and the end of April was entered) was Dale Rideout. This is the 3rd year in a row where someone who did a charter early in the "winter season" (and therefore got entered in all three draws) has managed to win two of the three trips. I guess it pays to do a charter early in the winter season.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines, and Best wishes
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

I am def going out on sat I didnt get out like I wanted to this week oh well ,the tides were good to ,hey Mortician wheres porteau cove <also when I was in horshoebay last week with my kids I noticed you have merc verados on hte back of the predator charters boat how do you like them ,I have a 21 foot proline I want to put a verado on do you think thats a good idea?

This is quite something...no offence but can we just post our reports with our spam all over it as well as our open dates...come on...em I the only one that thinks this is a joke...
I have nothing against the reports or who's posting them buy i thought we weren't allowed to spam.
By the way...I'll be posting my available dates soon and so should all the other guides...seems fair....

quote:Originally posted by richmake

This is quite something...no offence but can we just post our reports with our spam all over it as well as our open dates...come on...em I the only one that thinks this is a joke...
I have nothing against the reports or who's posting them buy i thought we weren't allowed to spam.
By the way...I'll be posting my available dates soon and so should all the other guides...seems fair....

That report was sent via EMAIL to all who registered with David Korsch of Predator Charters. I cut and pasted the email to this board because it's relevant to the the thread.

At any rate, I am in NO WAY affiliated with David Korsch or Predator Charters. I can say that he reports are BANG ON accurate and truthful.

In any event back to the FISHING...

One boat on charter yesterday found 3 keepers and lost 2 others including 1 to a seal on the south side of Bowen in the usual area. All in all not too bad for a 5 hour stint. The usual Coyote Spoons and 5.5 inch anchovies were producing well.

My work week is done, now it's time to wet the lines once again and get out on the pond.

See y'all out there (I know you VI guys may be just a tad jealous of the good fishing we're having for once...).

Tight lines to everyone!
[:p]