New to West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

samba123

I am new to saltwater fishing. Have been in the province for past few years but originally from Ontario. Definitely going to take my family out for some bottom fishing later on in the summer. We have very little experience salmon fishing. I understand it is currently nonretention at the moment until an update later on in the summer. My question is around salmon conservation stamps. When we go out bottom fishing, if the bottom fishing aint great, are we allowed to go catch and release for salmon without salmon conservation stamps? Are the salmon conservation stamps only for retention of salmon(hatchery coho, chinook, chum etc)? If you do catch and release which is what is being done now, do I need to get the salmon conservation stamps for me and my kids?

I am new to saltwater fishing. Have been in the province for past few years but originally from Ontario. Definitely going to take my family out for some bottom fishing later on in the summer. We have very little experience salmon fishing. I understand it is currently nonretention at the moment until an update later on in the summer. My question is around salmon conservation stamps. When we go out bottom fishing, if the bottom fishing aint great, are we allowed to go catch and release for salmon without salmon conservation stamps? Are the salmon conservation stamps only for retention of salmon(hatchery coho, chinook, chum etc)? If you do catch and release which is what is being done now, do I need to get the salmon conservation stamps for me and my kids?
I may be corrected but I believe you need to get the stamp even for C&R

If you want to fish for salmon you need the stamp regardless if you are only fishing catch and release . As mentioned earlier the stamp is cheap and 100% of it goes to salmon enhancement.

The real question is , now that your on the west coast ( best coast )are you gonna stop cheering for the Leafs? cause if so i have heaps of intel for you.

If you are trying to save $6 per person on the salmon conservation stamp, then saltwater fishing may not be for you...

Like the title says, he's new to the coast and is just asking a question. If he can save $18 on salmon stamps for himself and his kids, there's no reason not to. Anyways as Michael said it's for a good cause and if you're going to be fishing for salmon in the summer anyway, you might as well just get it now for a piece of mind. I'm not 100% on this, but I do believe a stamp is needed for C&R as well.

I discourage the tactic of catch and release in closed areas. Many of the salmon caught that are bleeding, gut or gill hook are going to die anyway. Catch and release is a great approach when fishing in retention areas are open. I also encourage the Salmon stamp, its not like a useless tax, the money is going to conservation.

I discourage the tactic of catch and release in closed areas. Many of the salmon caught that are bleeding, gut or gill hook are going to die anyway. Catch and release is a great approach when fishing in retention areas are open.

I don't understand the logic.
If you say salmon are dying because of catch and release, what is the difference
if open for retention or closed ?

I discourage the tactic of catch and release in closed areas. Many of the salmon caught that are bleeding, gut or gill hook are going to die anyway. Catch and release is a great approach when fishing in retention areas are open. I also encourage the Salmon stamp, its not like a useless tax, the money is going to conservation.

I think fishchaser's point regarding Catch and Release in closed areas has merit.
Allowing Catch and Release in closed areas also invites dishonest fishermen to Catch and Hide which does happen!
His opinion on Catch and Release in open areas allows SOME survival as apposed to bonking and is a fisherman's personal choice.

The OP asked a simple question about requirement of a Salmon stamp and now we have the inevitable conversation about C&R. His question was answered, so this is going to stop here, as the C&R debate has raged on many times in the forum before and like a dog chasing his tail the conversations solved nothing. Until it is deemed an illegal activity by the authorities that govern fishing regulations, it is entirely up to each individual to decide their own course of action...period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back